• Last Logged In: 1 hour ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: which version of linux?!
    It depends on what you are trying to do with linux. You will have to be more specific. You said you are an electronic engineer. I have a brother-in-law that works professionally in that field :-). I am guessing you are using a particular programming language. Linux supports more popular languages. Which one are you using. Plus, you are probably using an emulator to simulate your prototypes. What kind, and I'll see if one is available for linux. Again, I don't know what you use in school, check out this link below to see if any rings a bell. [url=http://coolarm.wordpress.com/2008/06/16/electronic-software-in-ubuntu-linux/]ubuntu for electronic engineers[/url]
    Link to this post 11 Apr 13

It depends on what you are trying to do with linux. You will have to be more specific.
    You said you are an electronic engineer. I have a brother-in-law that works professionally in that field :-). I am guessing you are using a particular programming language. Linux supports more popular languages. Which one are you using. Plus, you are probably using an emulator to simulate your prototypes. What kind, and I'll see if one is available for linux.

Again, I don't know what you use in school, check out this link below to see if any rings a bell.

ubuntu for electronic engineers

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: parport_pc driver parallel port detection with manually provided io ports.
    The first part in the script seems as if you were adding the driver to both the onboard parallel port and the pci port. The onboard port my have been using another driver that allowed the kernel to access it. I would leave that be. That last part of the script indicates that the kernel auto-detects what io ports )io_hi are on available and assigns the appropriate driver. You told the kernel what parport to detect rather then letting it do it itself. Seems like either would've worked. From observation ;-)
    Link to this post 03 Apr 13

The first part in the script seems as if you were adding the driver to both the onboard parallel port and the pci port. The onboard port my have been using another driver that allowed the kernel to access it. I would leave that be.

That last part of the script indicates that the kernel auto-detects what io ports )io_hi are on available and assigns the appropriate driver. You told the kernel what parport to detect rather then letting it do it itself. Seems like either would've worked. From observation ;-)

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: /home is 100% filled
    Can you give use a complete desciption of the jobs that you are running in your cluster? Did you create the jobs with a script or did you use an app wizard. The files that you removed may have contained information of when those jobs will stop. Back up all your files from your home folder to another storage medium. Make sure the files are accessible. Use a liveCD to boot the system and use one of the partition managers to re-size your partition giving it enough space. [url=http://gparted.sourceforge.net/]re-size using GParted[/url]

Can you give use a complete desciption of the jobs that you are running in your cluster? Did you create the jobs with a script or did you use an app wizard.

The files that you removed may have contained information of when those jobs will stop. Back up all your files from your home folder to another storage medium. Make sure the files are accessible. Use a liveCD to boot the system and use one of the partition managers to re-size your partition giving it enough space.

re-size using GParted

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Best Linux distro for optimize battery consumption (Asus EeePC)
    I have not tried any of those distros that you mentioned. Should though :-) There is one thing that I did not mention. I have found that the newer kernel versions, 3.x.x have a tendency of consuming battery life excessively. What I would do is look for a distro that uses any kernel version marked 2.6.x. They seem to go easy on mobile battery life. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS uses such a kernel. [url=http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/]ubuntu 10.04 LTS[/url]

I have not tried any of those distros that you mentioned. Should though :-)

There is one thing that I did not mention. I have found that the newer kernel versions, 3.x.x have a tendency of consuming battery life excessively. What I would do is look for a distro that uses any kernel version marked 2.6.x. They seem to go easy on mobile battery life. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS uses such a kernel.

ubuntu 10.04 LTS

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Best Linux distro for optimize battery consumption (Asus EeePC)
    If you are using the later UIs like Gnome#, or Unity, you may experience a decrees in battery life. Also, the kernel in use could have extra functions that could drain it too. Stick with Gnome@, XFCE or LXDE if you like user-friendly UI. Have a look at this site: [url=http://www.howtogeek.com/55185/how-to-maximize-the-battery-life-on-your-linux-laptop/]How to Maximize the Battery Life on Your Linux Laptop[/url]
    Link to this post 29 Mar 13

If you are using the later UIs like Gnome#, or Unity, you may experience a decrees in battery life. Also, the kernel in use could have extra functions that could drain it too.

Stick with Gnome@, XFCE or LXDE if you like user-friendly UI.

Have a look at this site:

How to Maximize the Battery Life on Your Linux Laptop

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Welcome: Why build an open cloud?
    Another benefit to using "open" cloud standards is to keep service vendors competitive. The goal is to deliver optimal results to consumers. Vendors will need the ability to adapt to users needs and using opensource is becoming the primary way of doing that because it is not a "what you see is what you get" philosophy.
    Link to this post 25 Feb 13

Another benefit to using "open" cloud standards is to keep service vendors competitive. The goal is to deliver optimal results to consumers. Vendors will need the ability to adapt to users needs and using opensource is becoming the primary way of doing that because it is not a "what you see is what you get" philosophy.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board