• Last Logged In: 6 hours ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Installing Ubuntu 12.04 with Windows installer
    [quote="Estelle Angelinas"]I recently discovered a different way to install Ubuntu desktops through the windows Ubuntu installer. It worked for the latest version... no need for iso disk or usb stick. Of course you must have Windows installed on your computer... below is the link. (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer) Some may have already heard about this, but as usual I am late in learning. [/quote] As of ubuntu 13.04, the "wubi" install is no longer be available. Instead, it will be better to install ubuntu alongside Windows on its own PC. If you are using ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 use this site for instruction on installing uubntu on windows, [url=https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi]Your text to link here...[/url]
    Link to this post 27 Jul 13

Estelle Angelinas said:

I recently discovered a different way to install Ubuntu desktops through the windows Ubuntu installer. It worked for the latest version... no need for iso disk or usb stick. Of course you must have Windows installed on your computer... below is the link.
    (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer)

Some may have already heard about this, but as usual I am late in learning.

As of ubuntu 13.04, the "wubi" install is no longer be available. Instead, it will be better to install ubuntu alongside Windows on its own PC. If you are using ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 use this site for instruction on installing uubntu on windows, Your text to link here...

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Unable to open pdf docs received
    [quote="mustardseedcba"]This is the msg. popup. "Could not create the archive Archive type not supported." My equipment is an Acer - Aspire 5570-2977; Intel Pentium dual-core processor T2080; Windows Vista Home Premium Please explain in non-technical terms. Very much a noobie, here. Thank You [/quote] You need to have a PDF viewer install. Evince is the default pdf viewer. To make sure it is installed(if you are using ubuntu), open the dash and type "terminal" to up the terminal window. In the window type, #whereis evince. This will tell you if evince is install. By the way, what flavor of ubuntu are you using,e.g, ubuntu with unity, kubuntu, xubuntu or lubuntu?
    Link to this post 27 Jul 13

mustardseedcba said:

This is the msg. popup.

"Could not create the archive
    Archive type not supported."

My equipment is an Acer - Aspire 5570-2977; Intel Pentium dual-core processor T2080; Windows Vista Home Premium

Please explain in non-technical terms. Very much a noobie, here.

Thank You

You need to have a PDF viewer install. Evince is the default pdf viewer. To make sure it is installed(if you are using ubuntu), open the dash and type "terminal" to up the terminal window. In the window type, #whereis evince. This will tell you if evince is install.

By the way, what flavor of ubuntu are you using,e.g, ubuntu with unity, kubuntu, xubuntu or lubuntu?

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Linux or ubuntu
    You system is perfect for ubuntu. You can try all flavors, [url=http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop]ubuntu[/url] [url=http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download-lts]Kubuntu[/url] [url=http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/]Xubuntu[/url] [url=http://lubuntu.net/]Lubuntu[/url] I recommend Xubuntu because it closely resembles Windows XP's UI and it uses less resources then Wndows XP uses. If you still want to keep XP, then xubuntu will allow you the option to dualboot with your existing OS. Download Xubuntu 12.04.2 LTS. LTS stands for "Long term Support" and it allows your system to supported until the next LTS release. It comes with firefox installed. If you want to use google's chrome browser, then you can down it from google's site it. The Wizard with help you through the process. What Webbrowser are you using.
    Link to this post 30 May 13

You system is perfect for ubuntu. You can try all flavors, ubuntu
    Kubuntu
    Xubuntu
    Lubuntu

I recommend Xubuntu because it closely resembles Windows XP's UI and it uses less resources then Wndows XP uses. If you still want to keep XP, then xubuntu will allow you the option to dualboot with your existing OS. Download Xubuntu 12.04.2 LTS. LTS stands for "Long term Support" and it allows your system to supported until the next LTS release. It comes with firefox installed. If you want to use google's chrome browser, then you can down it from google's site it. The Wizard with help you through the process.

What Webbrowser are you using.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: UPDATE for my Dell D600
    Given the specs you have, you can install either xubuntu or lubuntu. Both are light system resources since they are designed for low-spec systems. If you were used to windows XP, xubuntu will be the closes to its easy of use. I don't know the speed of your GPU or its latency metrics so xubuntu would be the safest route. Memory and cpu will work well, and xubuntu has an updated kernel that should provide the firmware for you internel and external devices. Linux is an OS. The reason it is termed distro is because most of the linux OSes are remixes of another linux OS, e.g, ubuntu derived from debian, fedora derived from RedHat.
    Link to this post 06 May 13

Given the specs you have, you can install either xubuntu or lubuntu. Both are light system resources since they are designed for low-spec systems. If you were used to windows XP, xubuntu will be the closes to its easy of use.

I don't know the speed of your GPU or its latency metrics so xubuntu would be the safest route.

Memory and cpu will work well, and xubuntu has an updated kernel that should provide the firmware for you internel and external devices.

Linux is an OS. The reason it is termed distro is because most of the linux OSes are remixes of another linux OS, e.g, ubuntu derived from debian, fedora
    derived from RedHat.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: /home is 100% filled
    Something might have gotten overwritten do to a full /home directory. It would not hurt to re-submit them. Make sure those jobs are scheduled to end at the correct time.
    Link to this post 12 Apr 13

Something might have gotten overwritten do to a full /home directory. It would not hurt to re-submit them. Make sure those jobs are scheduled to end at the correct time.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: which version of linux?!
    It depends on what you are trying to do with linux. You will have to be more specific. You said you are an electronic engineer. I have a brother-in-law that works professionally in that field :-). I am guessing you are using a particular programming language. Linux supports more popular languages. Which one are you using. Plus, you are probably using an emulator to simulate your prototypes. What kind, and I'll see if one is available for linux. Again, I don't know what you use in school, check out this link below to see if any rings a bell. [url=http://coolarm.wordpress.com/2008/06/16/electronic-software-in-ubuntu-linux/]ubuntu for electronic engineers[/url]
    Link to this post 11 Apr 13

It depends on what you are trying to do with linux. You will have to be more specific.
    You said you are an electronic engineer. I have a brother-in-law that works professionally in that field :-). I am guessing you are using a particular programming language. Linux supports more popular languages. Which one are you using. Plus, you are probably using an emulator to simulate your prototypes. What kind, and I'll see if one is available for linux.

Again, I don't know what you use in school, check out this link below to see if any rings a bell.

ubuntu for electronic engineers

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board