Posted
  • Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: .NET Framewwork 4.5 Not Installing
    Where is the error output text? You forgot to include it
    Link to this post 15 Feb

Where is the error output text? You forgot to include it

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Unexpected Terminal Porblem
    The theme you are using, is it the default or a custom one you installed?
    Link to this post 30 Jan

The theme you are using, is it the default or a custom one you installed?

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: dual booted windows 7 and debian wheezy 7.7.0 only debian booted
    Are you still experiencing the problem? You don't think to need to use /dev/sda6 to indicate the root device of your installation. GRub2 seems to read hard drives using dos-type naming, e.g, (hd0, msdos6) which would represent /dev/sda6. I am not very fluent using the grub-rescue image. I find it much easier for me to use a startup-disk. If you are unable to boot your system, boot your system using a LiveCD and run gparted. Notice the partitions that have windows and debian installed and the names of the devices they are installed on. Then navigate to the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file and rename the "root" devices of your OS installations as (hd0,msdosx) = with "x" representing the number of the partition the OS is installed on. Use this entry in my grub.cfg file as a guide. [code]menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.18.0-12-generic (systemd)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.$ recordfail load_video gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode insmod gzio if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi insmod part_msdos insmod ext2 [b]set root='hd0,msdos8'[/b] if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos8 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos8 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos8 cd8c3742-b1ef-4e7a-a93$ else search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root cd8c3742-b1ef-4e7a-a93e-ce79cefff2e9 fi echo 'Loading Linux 3.18.0-12-generic ...' linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.18.0-12-generic root=UUID=cd8c3742-b1ef-4e7a-a93e-ce79cefff2e9 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff init=/lib/systemd/systemd echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...' initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.18.0-12-generic [/code]
    Link to this post 30 Jan

Are you still experiencing the problem?

You don't think to need to use /dev/sda6 to indicate the root device of your installation. GRub2 seems to read hard drives using dos-type naming, e.g, (hd0, msdos6) which would represent /dev/sda6.

I am not very fluent using the grub-rescue image. I find it much easier for me to use a startup-disk.

If you are unable to boot your system, boot your system using a LiveCD and run gparted. Notice the partitions that have windows and debian installed and the names of the devices they are installed on. Then navigate to the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file and rename the "root" devices of your OS installations as (hd0,msdosx) = with "x" representing the number of the partition the OS is installed on.

Use this entry in my grub.cfg file as a guide.

menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.18.0-12-generic (systemd)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.$
    recordfail
    load_video
    gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
    insmod gzio
    if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='hd0,msdos8'
    if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos8 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos8 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos8 cd8c3742-b1ef-4e7a-a93$
    else
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root cd8c3742-b1ef-4e7a-a93e-ce79cefff2e9
    fi
    echo 'Loading Linux 3.18.0-12-generic ...'
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.18.0-12-generic root=UUID=cd8c3742-b1ef-4e7a-a93e-ce79cefff2e9 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff init=/lib/systemd/systemd
    echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.18.0-12-generic

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Greetings!
    This forum is not used for promoting anything. It is used to help linux operators resolve their technical issues. If you want to promote a Linux user group, I would suggest you use one the 4 major social media channels(twitter, linkedin, facebook, google+). Linkedin, Google+ and facebook both have large linux user groups or communities. That would be a great place to start. You can even use the community blogging board here for promotions. Never use a forum to promote anything. It will be considered spamming and you could be banned.
    Link to this post 21 Jan

This forum is not used for promoting anything. It is used to help linux operators resolve their technical issues. If you want to promote a Linux user group, I would suggest you use one the 4 major social media channels(twitter, linkedin, facebook, google+).

Linkedin, Google+ and facebook both have large linux user groups or communities. That would be a great place to start. You can even use the community blogging board here for promotions. Never use a forum to promote anything. It will be considered spamming and you could be banned.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Fresh start!
    Let the fun begin :-)
    Link to this post 21 Jan

Let the fun begin :-)

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: Cant finish installation.
    Are you using an installation script? This is possible, but I have never executed this type of installation. [b]" I get one error message that in english would mean something like this..."Could not create partition on chosen harddisk" "porbable reason is that there is already to many primar partions present"[/b] This would mean, you have exceeded the number of primary partitions on your hard drive. You need to choose one of those partitions for the installation. Simply closing the box and proceeding will not fix the problem. Without a primary partition, no root filesystem can be created either. You have to go back to "setup partitions" to fix this problem.
    Link to this post 21 Jan

Are you using an installation script? This is possible, but I have never executed this type of installation.

" I get one error message that in english would mean something like this..."Could not create partition on chosen harddisk" "porbable reason is that there is already to many primar partions present"

This would mean, you have exceeded the number of primary partitions on your hard drive. You need to choose one of those partitions for the installation. Simply closing the box and proceeding will not fix the problem.

Without a primary partition, no root filesystem can be created either. You have to go back to "setup partitions" to fix this problem.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    RE: World of Warcraft on Linux!
    Try this command: In the directory that has the downloaded driver, sudo ./
    Link to this post 16 Jan

Try this command:

In the directory that has the downloaded driver,
    sudo ./<name if the driver file>

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    Surprised that you did not use the GeForce 210 initially. I have always felt AGP GPUs performed better then onboard GPUs. You are moving forward. It is just a matter of getting the game installed and running. It sounds like you were able to get the onboard GPU to render, hopefully. There is hope I think.
    Link to this post 16 Jan

Surprised that you did not use the GeForce 210 initially. I have always felt AGP GPUs performed better then onboard GPUs.

You are moving forward. It is just a matter of getting the game installed and running. It sounds like you were able to get the onboard GPU to render, hopefully. There is hope I think.

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    You do know that the workaround in that link you posted is for "intel" graphics. Not sure how well it will work for you GeForce GPU, but you can try. It also mentioned that software-rendering does not offer the best support. Then again, your case may be different. I am curious. Did you start the game after or before you installed the driver?
    Link to this post 16 Jan

You do know that the workaround in that link you posted is for "intel" graphics. Not sure how well it will work for you GeForce GPU, but you can try. It also mentioned that software-rendering does not offer the best support. Then again, your case may be different.

I am curious. Did you start the game after or before you installed the driver?

• Istimsak Abdulbasir
    I was in your position when I started working in a terminal. After awhile you get used to it. Were you able to install wine and all the required files? Was there a problem with the graphics?
    Link to this post 16 Jan

I was in your position when I started working in a terminal. After awhile you get used to it.

Were you able to install wine and all the required files? Was there a problem with the graphics?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board