• Last Logged In: 04 Feb 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • isaac
    RE: Linux Market Share Passes 1%!!
    Another thing that makes it so hard to pin down is that many people purchase PC's licensed for, and pre-installed with some flavor of Windows, then just blow it away and throw Linux on it. It inflates the numbers in favour of M$. On a happy note, I'm beginning to get requests for Linux based workstations from several of my employer's clients. Some were prompted by Vista, most were because their on-site tech people are fed up with constantly fighting a losing battle with malware. As evil as it is, by exposing how horribly insecure windows is, malware helps Linux adoption. I'm more than happy to oblige, both from a Linux advocacy standpoint, and because it is so much easier to remotely troubleshoot problems if I can just ssh into the box. One of the big barriers of adoption in the business arena is coming down now that various Linux mail clients are gaining true MAPI (Exchange) support. As much as I hate it, Exchange is pretty firmly entrenched in a lot of corporate networks.
    Link to this post 29 May 09

Another thing that makes it so hard to pin down is that many people purchase PC's licensed for, and pre-installed with some flavor of Windows, then just blow it away and throw Linux on it. It inflates the numbers in favour of M$.

On a happy note, I'm beginning to get requests for Linux based workstations from several of my employer's clients. Some were prompted by Vista, most were because their on-site tech people are fed up with constantly fighting a losing battle with malware. As evil as it is, by exposing how horribly insecure windows is, malware helps Linux adoption. I'm more than happy to oblige, both from a Linux advocacy standpoint, and because it is so much easier to remotely troubleshoot problems if I can just ssh into the box.

One of the big barriers of adoption in the business arena is coming down now that various Linux mail clients are gaining true MAPI (Exchange) support. As much as I hate it, Exchange is pretty firmly entrenched in a lot of corporate networks.

• isaac
    RE: List Your Favourite CLI Programs & Utilities
    Hey, I love me some "wall"
    Link to this post 16 May 09

Hey, I love me some "wall"

• isaac
    RE: Where and on What do you use?
    At work: (can you tell I'm a sysadmin? LOL) Main desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre A57 - Fedora 10 PC Backup Server: Custom built - Fedora 9 KVM Virtualization server: IBM Blade Centre Blade - Fedora 9 Virtualization test server: Custom built - Fedora 11RC Devel server: IBM X series server - RHEL4 Test server: IBM X series server - RHEL4 Test server2: IBM X series server - RHEL2 Devel server2: ancient HPUX box Test server3: ancient HPUX box Mail server: custom built - CentOS5 OpenVPN server: custom built - CentOS5 Firewall: custom built - CentOS5 I also have 30 offsite servers that I don't physically touch, but am on consistently via SSH. A mixture of RHEL2, RHEL4, RHEL5, and HPUX. Several other local Linux installs are virtualized, not listing those, only hardware. At home: My main PC: custom built - Fedora 10 (soon to be 11) My MythTV box: custom built - MythDora 10 Guest PC: Fedora 10/XP dual boot Motorola wifi router: OpenWRT (Linux distro for various routers) I'm also in the process of building another PC out of spare parts I have laying around that will be a MythTV frontend for the bedroom. It will be running the current version of MythDora. My part time job (Karaoke DJ): My karaoke HP laptop: Fedora 10 I think that about covers it. LOL :lol:

At work:

(can you tell I'm a sysadmin? LOL)

Main desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre A57 - Fedora 10
    PC Backup Server: Custom built - Fedora 9
    KVM Virtualization server: IBM Blade Centre Blade - Fedora 9
    Virtualization test server: Custom built - Fedora 11RC
    Devel server: IBM X series server - RHEL4
    Test server: IBM X series server - RHEL4
    Test server2: IBM X series server - RHEL2
    Devel server2: ancient HPUX box
    Test server3: ancient HPUX box
    Mail server: custom built - CentOS5
    OpenVPN server: custom built - CentOS5
    Firewall: custom built - CentOS5

I also have 30 offsite servers that I don't physically touch, but am on consistently via SSH. A mixture of RHEL2, RHEL4, RHEL5, and HPUX. Several other local Linux installs are virtualized, not listing those, only hardware.

At home:

My main PC: custom built - Fedora 10 (soon to be 11)
    My MythTV box: custom built - MythDora 10
    Guest PC: Fedora 10/XP dual boot
    Motorola wifi router: OpenWRT (Linux distro for various routers)
    I'm also in the process of building another PC out of spare parts I have laying around that will be a MythTV frontend for the bedroom. It will be running the current version of MythDora.

My part time job (Karaoke DJ):
    My karaoke HP laptop: Fedora 10

I think that about covers it. LOL :lol:

• isaac
    RE: More software for Enterprise Linux - the EPEL repo
    [b]0x83 wrote:[/b] [quote] I would hold off including rpmforge along with those two repos. In latest testing (check date of this post) they do not play well with each other and there are a lot of RPM conflicts. ~rp[/quote] Seconded, I've recently seen depsolving issues when rpmforge is thrown into the mix.

0x83 wrote:

I would hold off including rpmforge along with those two repos. In latest testing (check date of this post) they do not play well with each other and there are a lot of RPM conflicts.

~rp

Seconded, I've recently seen depsolving issues when rpmforge is thrown into the mix.

• isaac
    RE: Why you choose linux, not FreeBSD?
    [b]bobmajdakjr wrote:[/b] [quote]I choose Linux for my desktops. I choose FreeBSD for my servers. I know it is sort of wrong. Please don't flame me lol.[/quote] Actually, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Where the BSD's really shine is as servers.
    Link to this post 15 May 09

bobmajdakjr wrote:

I choose Linux for my desktops.

I choose FreeBSD for my servers.

I know it is sort of wrong. Please don't flame me lol.

Actually, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Where the BSD's really shine is as servers.

• isaac
    RE: these forums need....
    I agree. Particularly site related.

I agree.

Particularly site related.

• isaac
    RE: More software for Enterprise Linux - the EPEL repo
    I use EPEL all the time at work on our RHEL4 and RHEL5 boxes. One of the first things I do on a new RHEL install is add the repo for it.

I use EPEL all the time at work on our RHEL4 and RHEL5 boxes. One of the first things I do on a new RHEL install is add the repo for it.

• isaac
    RE: Favorite game?
    Linux native: Frozen Bubble is crack WINE: Lord of the Rings Online

Linux native: Frozen Bubble is crack

WINE: Lord of the Rings Online

• isaac
    RE: Why you choose linux, not FreeBSD?
    I was actually a FreeBSD user for years before switching over to Linux. It was my first non-M$ experience (on a 486DX!). My primary reason for switching at the time was hardware support was better in Linux on newer boxes. I also got tired of having compilation problems getting stuff that was meant for Linux to run on BSD. It seemed like the Linux kids always had the shinier toys, and I wanted to play with them too! :lol: At this point, I'm a Linux sysadmin, so Linux pays my bills, which is enough reason for me. ;)

I was actually a FreeBSD user for years before switching over to Linux. It was my first non-M$ experience (on a 486DX!).

My primary reason for switching at the time was hardware support was better in Linux on newer boxes. I also got tired of having compilation problems getting stuff that was meant for Linux to run on BSD. It seemed like the Linux kids always had the shinier toys, and I wanted to play with them too! :lol:

At this point, I'm a Linux sysadmin, so Linux pays my bills, which is enough reason for me. ;)

• isaac
    RE: Nvidia problems
    I must admit, I'm not fully up on the legality of including Nvidia's drivers, nor have I really even read the license (I know, bad me, heh). What you are saying makes sense. And don't get me wrong. I love Fedora, I have it installed on every system I own (5 at last count), and several systems at work. For experienced users, the driver thing is barely even a slight annoyance, if at all. It's the newbies that get confused by it. I don't really agree that Intel open sourcing puts any real pressure on ATI/Nvidia though. As things currently stand, if you want to do any serious gaming, you're basically stuck with one of the two. Intel's graphic chipsets are fine for normal day to day office use, or older lighter weight games, but are not even close to the ATI/Nvidia offerings when it comes to modern 3D shooters or even MMO's. I applaud Intel for open sourcing, but I don't really see it as a game changer unless they start producing something that can compete performance wise with the other two in the high-end market. If ATI or Nvidia went completely open, it would exert much more pressure on the other. It would be great if that happened, but I don't get up in arms about it. Fully open drivers would be best, but at least Nvidia cares enough to release drivers for Linux. I'm just grateful that I have fast accelerated 3D graphics on my Linux box, regardless of the source. (pun intended)

I must admit, I'm not fully up on the legality of including Nvidia's drivers, nor have I really even read the license (I know, bad me, heh). What you are saying makes sense.

And don't get me wrong. I love Fedora, I have it installed on every system I own (5 at last count), and several systems at work. For experienced users, the driver thing is barely even a slight annoyance, if at all. It's the newbies that get confused by it.

I don't really agree that Intel open sourcing puts any real pressure on ATI/Nvidia though. As things currently stand, if you want to do any serious gaming, you're basically stuck with one of the two. Intel's graphic chipsets are fine for normal day to day office use, or older lighter weight games, but are not even close to the ATI/Nvidia offerings when it comes to modern 3D shooters or even MMO's. I applaud Intel for open sourcing, but I don't really see it as a game changer unless they start producing something that can compete performance wise with the other two in the high-end market.

If ATI or Nvidia went completely open, it would exert much more pressure on the other.

It would be great if that happened, but I don't get up in arms about it. Fully open drivers would be best, but at least Nvidia cares enough to release drivers for Linux. I'm just grateful that I have fast accelerated 3D graphics on my Linux box, regardless of the source. (pun intended)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board