• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 28 Oct

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • darkixion
    RE: App to access Microsoft SQL database on Linux?
    A GUI tool really. Something equivalent to pgAdmin III, but for MSSQL.
    Link to this post 18 Feb 10

A GUI tool really. Something equivalent to pgAdmin III, but for MSSQL.

• darkixion
    App to access Microsoft SQL database on Linux?
    Does anyone know if a native client app for Linux for connecting to an MSSQL database server and viewing it like Enterprise Manager does, or even the awful Management Studio Express? Failing that, are there any free Windows apps that can do this which will work under Wine? This is for work, so I'm not using MSSQL through choice, but at the moment I'm dependent on Windows for accessing such systems. Everything else I can do in Linux (or Ubuntu to be specific). Thanks Thom
    Link to this post 17 Feb 10

Does anyone know if a native client app for Linux for connecting to an MSSQL database server and viewing it like Enterprise Manager does, or even the awful Management Studio Express? Failing that, are there any free Windows apps that can do this which will work under Wine?

This is for work, so I'm not using MSSQL through choice, but at the moment I'm dependent on Windows for accessing such systems. Everything else I can do in Linux (or Ubuntu to be specific).

Thanks

Thom

• darkixion
    RE: no sound
    I'm late to this thread, but what is the model of your machine? You might need to edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and add in an option for your card. For example, my laptop needed the following option (which probably won't be the same as what you need): [code]options snd-hda-intel model=mitac probe_mask=1[/code] Whereas my cousin's laptop (a Toshiba Satellite Pro) needed this line: [code]options snd-hda-intel model=3stack[/code] Hope this puts you on the right track. Thom
    Link to this post 02 Jun 09

I'm late to this thread, but what is the model of your machine? You might need to edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and add in an option for your card.

For example, my laptop needed the following option (which probably won't be the same as what you need):

options snd-hda-intel model=mitac probe_mask=1

Whereas my cousin's laptop (a Toshiba Satellite Pro) needed this line:

options snd-hda-intel model=3stack

Hope this puts you on the right track.

Thom

• darkixion
    RE: Wireless networking with Atheros chip set
    I installed Ubuntu Studio on my cousin's laptop over the weekend, which is a Toshiba Satellite Pro, which has the Atheros chip set. I noticed it was marked down as an unclaimed device when running: [code]lspci -v[/code] In the end I noticed that in the Hardware Drivers (under the System > Administration menu) there was something called Madwifi enabled. I disabled this, rebooted and it then worked fine. You might wish to check that you haven't also got Madwifi as the driver for your wireless adapter. If you still have problems, you may have to blacklist a driver to prevent it being used.
    Link to this post 01 Jun 09

I installed Ubuntu Studio on my cousin's laptop over the weekend, which is a Toshiba Satellite Pro, which has the Atheros chip set. I noticed it was marked down as an unclaimed device when running:

lspci -v

In the end I noticed that in the Hardware Drivers (under the System > Administration menu) there was something called Madwifi enabled. I disabled this, rebooted and it then worked fine. You might wish to check that you haven't also got Madwifi as the driver for your wireless adapter. If you still have problems, you may have to blacklist a driver to prevent it being used.

• darkixion
    RE: Penguspy
    I bought a couple Linux games over the weekend (which I notice now also have been added to Enosis' wonderful Penguspy site) which are Robin Hood The Legend of Sherwood and Jack Keane. I know they are a bit pricey, but I like the idea of buying a game designed to run on Linux and also support the company who put the effort into porting it. They were even kind enough to refund the shipping cost because after I ordered 1 game, I decided on another game I wanted and ordered that too but separately, which amounted to over €50 meaning it should have been free shipping if I bought them together. And I have to say, that Robin Hood game looks graphically awesome and detailed! I noticed the Penguspy blog too. Glad it's not just me who noticed the yearly "top 10 Linux games" lists being the same every year on every site. ;) Hopefully the site can kickstart a linux gaming community of sorts.
    Link to this post 27 May 09

I bought a couple Linux games over the weekend (which I notice now also have been added to Enosis' wonderful Penguspy site) which are Robin Hood The Legend of Sherwood and Jack Keane. I know they are a bit pricey, but I like the idea of buying a game designed to run on Linux and also support the company who put the effort into porting it. They were even kind enough to refund the shipping cost because after I ordered 1 game, I decided on another game I wanted and ordered that too but separately, which amounted to over €50 meaning it should have been free shipping if I bought them together.

And I have to say, that Robin Hood game looks graphically awesome and detailed!

I noticed the Penguspy blog too. Glad it's not just me who noticed the yearly "top 10 Linux games" lists being the same every year on every site. ;) Hopefully the site can kickstart a linux gaming community of sorts.

• darkixion
    RE: Playing Myst in Linux
    Thanks, although that's for Myst IV. But I have looked around that area of the site and noticed that Myst Masterpiece Edition appears to work. Last time I tried my copy of Myst on Wine, it didn't work at all, so maybe I need to get hold of a copy of that other edition.
    Link to this post 26 May 09

Thanks, although that's for Myst IV. But I have looked around that area of the site and noticed that Myst Masterpiece Edition appears to work. Last time I tried my copy of Myst on Wine, it didn't work at all, so maybe I need to get hold of a copy of that other edition.

• darkixion
    Playing Myst in Linux
    Does anyone know of a way to get Myst running in Linux?
    Link to this post 26 May 09

Does anyone know of a way to get Myst running in Linux?

• darkixion
    Whoa, I swear that category wasn't there previously. Yes, I've just noticed the adventure category. Ignore what I said.
    Link to this post 24 May 09

Whoa, I swear that category wasn't there previously. Yes, I've just noticed the adventure category. Ignore what I said.

• darkixion
    Actually, there are many games on there I never even knew were available for Linux, despite having looked around a lot before. I notice that there isn't an Adventure category. Is that because there aren't any adventure games for Linux?

Actually, there are many games on there I never even knew were available for Linux, despite having looked around a lot before. I notice that there isn't an Adventure category. Is that because there aren't any adventure games for Linux?

• darkixion
    App fonts too big in Ubuntu
    I've noticed that some applications I run have huge fonts. I can fix this temporarily by selecting Appearance from the Gnome menus, and changing the DPI for fonts down by 1, then back up by 1 then re-applying, but next time I boot up they're big again. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks Thom

I've noticed that some applications I run have huge fonts. I can fix this temporarily by selecting Appearance from the Gnome menus, and changing the DPI for fonts down by 1, then back up by 1 then re-applying, but next time I boot up they're big again.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Thom

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board