• Last Logged In: 09 Jun 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • TsaniApani
    RE: Segmentation fault
    The notorious "Segmentation fault" is basically the default sink-state error message when no others can be found. Until some point you need to climb the massive learning curve of the GDB (GNU Debugger) you will have to debug the old-fashioned way: printf( "1" ); char *mystr="Hi"; printf( "2" ); strcpy(mystr,"new value" ; printf( "3" ); puts(mystr); printf( "4" ); return 0;
    Link to this post 25 Apr 10

The notorious "Segmentation fault" is basically the default sink-state error message when no others can be found. Until some point you need to climb the massive learning curve of the GDB (GNU Debugger) you will have to debug the old-fashioned way:

printf( "1" );
    char *mystr="Hi";
    printf( "2" );
    strcpy(mystr,"new value" ;
    printf( "3" );
    puts(mystr);
    printf( "4" );
    return 0;

• TsaniApani
    RE: How much RAM really needed to install Fedora?
    [b]altNull wrote:[/b] [quote]When you are installing with the GUI installer from the DVD, then you can select advanced package management and deselect the gnome and kde. This will require even less resources, but will only have command-line. Can install a GUI latter, after you do extensive research and you can customize the installation to use less resources than a standard install of a GUI.[/quote] Buying more memory was cheaper than "extensive research." :) Now if I could only get rid of that fruity pink background and all these freaky error messages that have invaded my OpenGL app: "CS section size missmatch start at (r200_state_init.c,tex_emit_mm...
    Link to this post 13 Apr 10

altNull wrote:

When you are installing with the GUI installer from the DVD, then you can select advanced package management and deselect the gnome and kde. This will require even less resources, but will only have command-line. Can install a GUI latter, after you do extensive research and you can customize the installation to use less resources than a standard install of a GUI.

Buying more memory was cheaper than "extensive research." :) Now if I could only get rid of that fruity pink background and all these freaky error messages that have invaded my OpenGL app: "CS section size missmatch start at (r200_state_init.c,tex_emit_mm...

• TsaniApani
    RE: Scanner utility in Linux to operate my scanner
    Only in the directories the scans land in: sudo su chmod 777 . -R exit
    Link to this post 31 Mar 10

Only in the directories the scans land in:

sudo su
    chmod 777 . -R
    exit

• TsaniApani
    RE: Scanner utility in Linux to operate my scanner
    XSane works great in Mandriva 2008. No sudu [intellectual] installation needed...
    Link to this post 30 Mar 10

XSane works great in Mandriva 2008. No sudu [intellectual] installation needed...

• TsaniApani
    How much RAM really needed to install Fedora?
    Since Fedora 10 it requires something more than the 390MB that my machine is maxed out with, and the still-used boilerplate Release Notes lie: 2.4.2.1.1. Processor and memory Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB Recommended RAM for graphical: 256MiB http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f10/en_US/What_is_New_for_Installation_and_Live_Images.html#x86_specifics_for_Fedora
    Link to this post 28 Mar 10

Since Fedora 10 it requires something more than the 390MB that my machine is maxed out with, and the still-used boilerplate Release Notes lie:

2.4.2.1.1. Processor and memory

Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB

Recommended RAM for graphical: 256MiB

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f10/en_US/What_is_New_for_Installation_and_Live_Images.html#x86_specifics_for_Fedora

• TsaniApani
    RE: file editors
    Here's a list for gedit that was in a recent UBUNTU user magazine article: http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins I know, they're plugins, but that's a good place to keep features...
    Link to this post 26 Mar 10

Here's a list for gedit that was in a recent UBUNTU user magazine article:

http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins

I know, they're plugins, but that's a good place to keep features...

• TsaniApani
    RE: display divided by six???
    [b]mfillpot wrote:[/b] [quote]It sounds like the problem is with how the drivers interact with your video card. Are you sure that you are installing the correct drivers for you video card?[/quote] I've had that problem go away by changing only the display to an old 1024x768, but if you've got a laptop try Mandriva 2008, not 2009...
    Link to this post 18 Mar 10

mfillpot wrote:

It sounds like the problem is with how the drivers interact with your video card. Are you sure that you are installing the correct drivers for you video card?

I've had that problem go away by changing only the display to an old 1024x768, but if you've got a laptop try Mandriva 2008, not 2009...

• TsaniApani
    RE: display divided by six???
    [b]BarryM wrote:[/b] [quote]HELP....[/quote] Don't give up! I neglected to mention in my earlier reply that the distro that resolved the problem for me was PCLinuxOS 2009...
    Link to this post 13 Mar 10

BarryM wrote:

HELP....

Don't give up! I neglected to mention in my earlier reply that the distro that resolved the problem for me was PCLinuxOS 2009...

• TsaniApani
    RE: how to open a .tar.bz2 file
    There's an easier way somewhat similar to the "Desktop Icon" way of things you mention. Just save (or drag) the tar.bz2 file to your desktop, then right-click on it and select "Extract Here." Although this method tends to clutter up the desktop, at least you always know where the files land (and you can move them around later once you got the app running)...
    Link to this post 10 Mar 10

There's an easier way somewhat similar to the "Desktop Icon" way of things you mention. Just save (or drag) the tar.bz2 file to your desktop, then right-click on it and select "Extract Here." Although this method tends to clutter up the desktop, at least you always know where the files land (and you can move them around later once you got the app running)...

• TsaniApani
    RE: CarbonLib/Carbon API for Linux?
    What you need is to boot off a separate hardrive that is not connected to the net, make sure you have the best driver for your graphics card, kill-off all the time-wasting processes your distro leaves running (such as auto-updating), and de-nice the app. Please let us know if you need any help...
    Link to this post 10 Mar 10

What you need is to boot off a separate hardrive that is not connected to the net, make sure you have the best driver for your graphics card, kill-off all the time-wasting processes your distro leaves running (such as auto-updating), and de-nice the app. Please let us know if you need any help...

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board