• Last Logged In: 13 Feb 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Mike Reilly
    RE: Create data partition
    [b]Netbattler11 wrote:[/b] [quote]I am running Ubuntu 11.04. I have about 100 gigs left on my hard drive. Can i simply shrink my existing partition and use that as a blank space to create a new partition in? Also, once i have the new partition created and the data copied, can i then have ubuntu look for and save personal data in the new partition? Essentially i want the location of /home to be on the new partition. Thanks for the advice.[/quote] The best way to change the partitions is to use an Ubuntu install disk. Boot up into the Live environment and run 'GParted'. You'll want to shrink your current partition, but I wouldn't shrink it all the way to the current used size. If you have 100GB over, your best bet is to make the new one about 60-70GB. Then you can just transfer your data over to that. Basically, yes it's easy to do and won't take long. Here are instructions to move your /home partition over to the new partition: http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/01/29/move-home-to-its-own-partition/
    Link to this post 19 Jul 11

Netbattler11 wrote:

I am running Ubuntu 11.04. I have about 100 gigs left on my hard drive. Can i simply shrink my existing partition and use that as a blank space to create a new partition in? Also, once i have the new partition created and the data copied, can i then have ubuntu look for and save personal data in the new partition? Essentially i want the location of /home to be on the new partition. Thanks for the advice.

The best way to change the partitions is to use an Ubuntu install disk. Boot up into the Live environment and run 'GParted'. You'll want to shrink your current partition, but I wouldn't shrink it all the way to the current used size. If you have 100GB over, your best bet is to make the new one about 60-70GB. Then you can just transfer your data over to that. Basically, yes it's easy to do and won't take long.

Here are instructions to move your /home partition over to the new partition: http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/01/29/move-home-to-its-own-partition/

• Mike Reilly
    RE: Recommendations for good admin reference book?
    O'Reilly also makes a simple Linux reference manual with most basic commands, what they do, and some examples that's great when you can't think of what would accomplish what you need best.
    Link to this post 01 Jul 11

O'Reilly also makes a simple Linux reference manual with most basic commands, what they do, and some examples that's great when you can't think of what would accomplish what you need best.

• Mike Reilly
    RE: Recommendations for good programming books
    [b]marc wrote:[/b] [quote][b]tsmith8906 wrote:[/b] [quote]Im here looking for some recommendations for some good programming books that deal with C++. I am a begginer at this kind of stuff yet given that fact I do have general understanding. Also im looking for books that deal with how to write an operating system. Any that you might know of off hand. Thanks in advance.[/quote] Thinking in C++ is the one I'm reading right now and seems quite good :)[/quote] Yes search for that on Amazon, that's a good book.
    Link to this post 09 Jun 11

marc wrote:

[b]tsmith8906 wrote:[/b]
    [quote]Im here looking for some recommendations for some good programming books that deal with C++. I am a begginer at this kind of stuff yet given that fact I do have general understanding.

Also im looking for books that deal with how to write an operating system. Any that you might know of off hand.

Thanks in advance.

Thinking in C++ is the one I'm reading right now and seems quite good :)[/quote]

Yes search for that on Amazon, that's a good book.

• Mike Reilly
    RE: Another newbie thread. Thank you experts!
    RTL8180 drivers for ubuntu it is, GoinEasy9 will have to reply with the guide he found for installation.
    Link to this post 03 Jun 11

RTL8180 drivers for ubuntu it is, GoinEasy9 will have to reply with the guide he found for installation.

• Mike Reilly
    RE: Linux & Duel Boot
    I'd also like to just say that Mint is perfect for the Windows convert. When you first run mint it will look basically familiar because of the layout and is a bit more intuitive. It also comes with a good amount of things you'd want (java, flash, etc.). Good Choice.
    Link to this post 23 Apr 11

I'd also like to just say that Mint is perfect for the Windows convert. When you first run mint it will look basically familiar because of the layout and is a bit more intuitive. It also comes with a good amount of things you'd want (java, flash, etc.). Good Choice.

• Mike Reilly
    RE: Linux & Duel Boot
    [b]nero wrote:[/b] [quote]You are telling me that Windows must be installed first even though it will be on a seperate hard drive ?[/quote] Though it's a on a separate hard drive, something called a 'boot loader' must be installed (it installs automatically with linux) - and this tell the computer which hard drive to boot. Because windows XP installs it's own Boot Loader that doesn't recognize linux, by installing Linux second, you can overwrite the XP boot loader and install the Linux one that recognized both OS's.
    Link to this post 23 Apr 11

nero wrote:

You are telling me that Windows must be installed first even though it will be on a seperate hard drive ?
    Though it's a on a separate hard drive, something called a 'boot loader' must be installed (it installs automatically with linux) - and this tell the computer which hard drive to boot. Because windows XP installs it's own Boot Loader that doesn't recognize linux, by installing Linux second, you can overwrite the XP boot loader and install the Linux one that recognized both OS's.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board