• Last Logged In: 26 Jan 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • garrett
    RE: List Your Favourite CLI Programs & Utilities
    I guess my favorite would have to be kill hehe im big on using everything on the command line. one thing I hate is when you come into a shop that's say, running webservers and the webservers have X installed and running on them without having a monitor or keyboard there too. idiotic waste of resources. grep svn ping dig ****sudo**** dmesg tail cat etc, etc etc etc
    Link to this post 19 May 09

I guess my favorite would have to be

kill

hehe

im big on using everything on the command line. one thing I hate is when you come into a shop that's say, running webservers and the webservers have X installed and running on them without having a monitor or keyboard there too. idiotic waste of resources.

grep
    svn
    ping
    dig
    ****sudo****
    dmesg
    tail
    cat
    etc, etc etc etc

• garrett
    RE: RHEL or CentOS?
    My company uses RHEL because they like having the support to fall back on even if I've never used it. In other companies that I've worked, they use software purchased that is only certified on RHEL, and if you called for support as to why it broke this time and told them you were running CentOS, they would say, oh, it's not certified to run on that OS. That could be one situation where you would want RHEL.
    Link to this post 14 May 09

My company uses RHEL because they like having the support to fall back on even if I've never used it.

In other companies that I've worked, they use software purchased that is only certified on RHEL, and if you called for support as to why it broke this time and told them you were running CentOS, they would say, oh, it's not certified to run on that OS.

That could be one situation where you would want RHEL.

• garrett
    RE: ssh X11 forward problem after reinstall
    Based on what you wrote, you're trying to start a program on your local machine and have a program window show up on a remote computer. In order to do that, you have to allow external X11 connections on your remote system, you can use on remote shell:> xhost + (will allow all hosts to connect) or remote shell:> xhost (name of local system, must resolve correctly) then on your local system, run local shell:> export DISPLAY=`who am i | sed 's/.*(\(.*\)).*/\1/'` after this, you should be able to run local shell:> xterm and it should pop up on your remote system.
    Link to this post 14 May 09

Based on what you wrote, you're trying to start a program on your local machine and have a program window show up on a remote computer. In order to do that, you have to allow external X11 connections on your remote system, you can use

on remote shell:> xhost + (will allow all hosts to connect)
    or remote shell:> xhost (name of local system, must resolve correctly)

then on your local system, run

local shell:> export DISPLAY=`who am i | sed 's/.*(\(.*\)).*/\1/'`

after this, you should be able to run

local shell:> xterm

and it should pop up on your remote system.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board