• Last Logged In: 04 Feb 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Xipher_Zero
    RE: Video Converter for Ubuntu !!!
    [b]woboyle wrote:[/b] [quote]Use ffmpeg for audio/video transcoding. It supports about every format known, and many not-so-known. For complex tasks it isn't easy to use, but for simple transcoding tasks it isn't difficult to use (in my opinion). It is quite simply awesome in its capability, and is used by a lot of other tools (both CLI and GUI) under the covers for audio/video conversion tasks.[/quote] As it stands right now the version of ffmpeg in the repositories doesn't have support compiled in for the standard audio streams in 3gp files. You will be able to decode the video stream, but not the audio and completely unable to encode the audio out....... This limitation extends to all applications which use ffmpeg in ubuntu right now for conversion (Including winff, avidemux etc.) Handbrake will work right now because they have their own custom compiled version of ffmpeg included which has support for these formats compiled in. Also barring ffmpeg as the backend, mencoder works just fine handling these files so any frontend which uses mencoder as the backend will work just fine. I believe that this issue is only pertinent to Ubuntu and derivatives at the moment, and a custom compilation of ffmpeg will correct the issue.
    Link to this post 23 Jul 09

woboyle wrote:

Use ffmpeg for audio/video transcoding. It supports about every format known, and many not-so-known. For complex tasks it isn't easy to use, but for simple transcoding tasks it isn't difficult to use (in my opinion). It is quite simply awesome in its capability, and is used by a lot of other tools (both CLI and GUI) under the covers for audio/video conversion tasks.

As it stands right now the version of ffmpeg in the repositories doesn't have support compiled in for the standard audio streams in 3gp files. You will be able to decode the video stream, but not the audio and completely unable to encode the audio out....... This limitation extends to all applications which use ffmpeg in ubuntu right now for conversion (Including winff, avidemux etc.) Handbrake will work right now because they have their own custom compiled version of ffmpeg included which has support for these formats compiled in. Also barring ffmpeg as the backend, mencoder works just fine handling these files so any frontend which uses mencoder as the backend will work just fine.

I believe that this issue is only pertinent to Ubuntu and derivatives at the moment, and a custom compilation of ffmpeg will correct the issue.

• Xipher_Zero
    RE: Your Computer Specifications
    Main Box: Gigabyte P35-DS3R Mobo Intel Core2Duo E6750 4gb of DDR2 1066mhz ram nVidia Geforce 7800GTS 256mb ram 3tb of HD space across 4 drives Netbook: HP Mini 1035NR Atom N270 Proc 1gb Ram Intel 945gm graphics Bluetooth Webcam 10.1" screen
    Link to this post 18 Jun 09

Main Box:

Gigabyte P35-DS3R Mobo
    Intel Core2Duo E6750
    4gb of DDR2 1066mhz ram
    nVidia Geforce 7800GTS 256mb ram
    3tb of HD space across 4 drives

Netbook:

HP Mini 1035NR
    Atom N270 Proc
    1gb Ram
    Intel 945gm graphics
    Bluetooth
    Webcam
    10.1" screen

• Xipher_Zero
    RE: Show Us Your Linux Desktop
    [b]Rovanion wrote:[/b] [quote]What is that Mac lookalike dock that people are using? Tell me if there are more than one, which I presume there are. We are in an open source world aren't we.[/quote] The 3 most common docks are the [url=http://wiki.awn-project.org/]Avant Window Navigator[/url] the [url=http://developer.berlios.de/projects/cairo-dock]Cairo Dock[/url] and the Docky interface for [url=http://do.davebsd.com/wiki/index.php?title=Docky]Gnome DO[/url] Cheers, Chris
    Link to this post 18 Jun 09

Rovanion wrote:

What is that Mac lookalike dock that people are using?
    Tell me if there are more than one, which I presume there are. We are in an open source world aren't we.

The 3 most common docks are the Avant Window Navigator the Cairo Dock and the Docky interface for Gnome DO

Cheers,
    Chris

• Xipher_Zero
    RE: gstreamer
    [b]david93 wrote:[/b] [quote]hi all. i v got linux ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop and every time i try to uninstall something or install it wont let. it wont even let me to install updates. on update list i v got gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad but i cant put tick on it and it also says that its a distribution update. so every time i try to install updates or install some software or uninstall something this comes up in terminal: (reading database ... dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting: unable to open files list file for package 'linux-restricted-modules-2.6.17-11-generic' : stale NFS file handle E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2) A package failed to install. Trying to recover: can you help me please. thanks a lot.[/quote] David, Open a terminal and issue the following commands: [i]sudo apt-get clean[/i] [i]sudo apt-get autoclean[/i] [i]sudo apt-get purge[/i] These will remove the incorrectly downloaded package and reset your apt database. Now issue the following command to update your database: [i]sudo apt-get update[/i] Lastly issue this command to upgrade all your packages: [i]sudo apt-get upgrade[/i] Hope that helps! Cheers
    Link to this post 09 Jun 09

david93 wrote:

hi all. i v got linux ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop and every time i try to uninstall something or install it wont let. it wont even let me to install updates. on update list i v got gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad but i cant put tick on it and it also says that its a distribution update. so every time i try to install updates or install some software or uninstall something this comes up in terminal:

(reading database ... dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
    unable to open files list file for package 'linux-restricted-modules-2.6.17-11-generic' : stale NFS file handle
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
    A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

can you help me please. thanks a lot.

David,
    Open a terminal and issue the following commands:

sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get purge

These will remove the incorrectly downloaded package and reset your apt database. Now issue the following command to update your database:

sudo apt-get update

Lastly issue this command to upgrade all your packages:

sudo apt-get upgrade

Hope that helps!
    Cheers

• Xipher_Zero
    RE: Games You Play under wine ! ! !
    I have just started playing Fallout 3 via wine.... What an awesome game!!
    Link to this post 03 Jun 09

I have just started playing Fallout 3 via wine.... What an awesome game!!

• Xipher_Zero
    RE: Need Of a Good Download Manager
    [b]ravi_buz wrote:[/b] [quote]Hai i am using ubuntu and love it ,The only problem which makes me need of windows is the lack of a good download manager in it.Yes ubuntu has some download managers like kget,xdownload,downthemall etc but none are multi browser integratable and lack manu functionalities present in orbit downloader or IDM etc which are available in Windows . Do you guys free the same.And i hope some one will compile a good linux app from the source code of orbit which i think is also opesource[/quote] I have run into the same issue and am currently using downthemall in gecko based browsers..... unfortunately I don't know of any others than the ones you have previously mentioned that might have the features you are looking for.
    Link to this post 02 Jun 09

ravi_buz wrote:

Hai i am using ubuntu and love it ,The only problem which makes me need of windows is the lack of a good download manager in it.Yes ubuntu has some download managers like kget,xdownload,downthemall etc but none are multi browser integratable and lack manu functionalities present in orbit downloader or IDM etc which are available in Windows .
    Do you guys free the same.And i hope some one will compile a good linux app from the source code of orbit which i think is also opesource

I have run into the same issue and am currently using downthemall in gecko based browsers..... unfortunately I don't know of any others than the ones you have previously mentioned that might have the features you are looking for.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board