• Last Logged In: 04 Feb 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Xipher_Zero
    RE: Linux Desktop Wishlist
    Only really 1 big one for me. PLEASE DEAR GOD FIX THE AUDIO CLUSTERF*SK! (Okay got that out of my system...) As a quick explanation I help many people get migrated to Linux as their primary desktops and easily the #1 desktop issue that they have (Outside of the oddball peripheral not cooperating) is getting sound outputting to the correct channel (This normally works okay) or more problematic getting the correct input channel setup. I have run into very few chipsets that alsa lists the 2 or 3 ouput channels (Digital, Analog, Headphone) and 2 inputs (Desktops its usually a Front Mic plug, Main Mic plug) (Laptops an integrated Front Mic, Headphone Mic plug) without dumping MANY other options in which confuses the heck out of the person who just migrated (And me when they call and I haven't run into their particular audio setup before). To complicate this pulse tries to guess what to use and usually guesses wrong adding an other layer of confusion to the mess. I don't even want to get into setting up skype for people and getting the mic to work. Anyway there are other things I wish would be done, but for the moment Audio is a biggie!
    Link to this post 31 May 09

Only really 1 big one for me.

PLEASE DEAR GOD FIX THE AUDIO CLUSTERF*SK! (Okay got that out of my system...)

As a quick explanation I help many people get migrated to Linux as their primary desktops and easily the #1 desktop issue that they have (Outside of the oddball peripheral not cooperating) is getting sound outputting to the correct channel (This normally works okay) or more problematic getting the correct input channel setup. I have run into very few chipsets that alsa lists the 2 or 3 ouput channels (Digital, Analog, Headphone) and 2 inputs (Desktops its usually a Front Mic plug, Main Mic plug) (Laptops an integrated Front Mic, Headphone Mic plug) without dumping MANY other options in which confuses the heck out of the person who just migrated (And me when they call and I haven't run into their particular audio setup before). To complicate this pulse tries to guess what to use and usually guesses wrong adding an other layer of confusion to the mess. I don't even want to get into setting up skype for people and getting the mic to work.

Anyway there are other things I wish would be done, but for the moment Audio is a biggie!

• Xipher_Zero
    RE: Favourite Desktop Applications
    Firefox Evolution Deluge Pidgin Skype F-Spot Totem (With the Xine Engine!) Banshee Boxee Miro Openoffice GNOME Do!!!! (If you haven't tried it, give it a whirl it's very good!) Avidemux2 HandbrakeGUI Sometimes VLC when I run into a media file Totem can't play.

Firefox
    Evolution
    Deluge
    Pidgin
    Totem (With the Xine Engine!)
    Banshee
    Boxee
    Miro
    Openoffice
    GNOME Do!!!! (If you haven't tried it, give it a whirl it's very good!)
    Avidemux2
    HandbrakeGUI

Sometimes VLC when I run into a media file Totem can't play.

• Xipher_Zero
    RE: Hello for all :)
    Welcome Benny! Glad to have you join us! :)

Welcome Benny! Glad to have you join us! :)

• Xipher_Zero
    RE: USB flash drive distro with media codecs galore
    Ollie, I'm unsure of other distros, but Ubuntu has an application in jaunty under the menu Settings => Administration called the "USB Startup Disk Creator" which will allow you to setup a USB drive and allocate space for persistent data migration. I would think that you could use that space to install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package and get all of the media codecs you need. Course could be wrong :P

Ollie,

I'm unsure of other distros, but Ubuntu has an application in jaunty under the menu Settings => Administration called the "USB Startup Disk Creator" which will allow you to setup a USB drive and allocate space for persistent data migration. I would think that you could use that space to install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package and get all of the media codecs you need.

Course could be wrong :P

• Xipher_Zero
    RE: Penguspy
    I love the idea and would be happy to help!

I love the idea and would be happy to help!

• Xipher_Zero
    RE: [SOLVED] How to change Default Desktop in Ubuntu
    Just in case anyone runs across this thread and has the same question, you can setup a universal default configuration in Ubuntu 9.04 by copying the setting config files to the /etc/skel directory. My main install is a little borked I guess and will not work, but I just finished an Ubuntu remaster and all settings worked from within that install. Cheers, Chris

Just in case anyone runs across this thread and has the same question, you can setup a universal default configuration in Ubuntu 9.04 by copying the setting config files to the /etc/skel directory.

My main install is a little borked I guess and will not work, but I just finished an Ubuntu remaster and all settings worked from within that install.

Cheers,
    Chris

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board