• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 04 Feb 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Xipher_Zero
    RE: Anyone Know Howto Create a KeepAlive Script?
    [b]atreyu wrote:[/b] [quote][b]Xipher_Zero wrote:[/b] [quote]I run Gnome-Do's Docky interface on a number of systems and occasionally it can crash. I am looking for a way to write a keep alive script that will monitor gnome-do and if it crashes restart it. Thanks[/quote] I typically use a perl wrapper (i.e., daemon) for this sort of thing. The perl script starts up, detaches from the terminal, then loops indefinitely, waking up at some interval i specify to run my generic command. In your case, i might ps/pidof |grep Do Docky and relaunch it, if not running. If you're interested, i can dig up a skel of the perl daemon. the same thing can be done in bash, too, if that's more your thang.[/quote] Thank you! I'd really appreciate it, I am not a programmer and a skel to start from would be a great help!
    Link to this post 15 May 09

atreyu wrote:

[b]Xipher_Zero wrote:[/b]
    [quote]I run Gnome-Do's Docky interface on a number of systems and occasionally it can crash. I am looking for a way to write a keep alive script that will monitor gnome-do and if it crashes restart it.

Thanks

I typically use a perl wrapper (i.e., daemon) for this sort of thing. The perl script starts up, detaches from the terminal, then loops indefinitely, waking up at some interval i specify to run my generic command. In your case, i might ps/pidof |grep Do Docky and relaunch it, if not running. If you're interested, i can dig up a skel of the perl daemon. the same thing can be done in bash, too, if that's more your thang.[/quote]

Thank you! I'd really appreciate it, I am not a programmer and a skel to start from would be a great help!

• Xipher_Zero
    RE: Show Us Your Linux Desktop
    [url=http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8549/screenshot002iki.png][img]http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8549/screenshot002iki.png[/img][/url] This is a default Ubuntu Desktop (Less 1 menu bar) using the Ubuntu Sunrise theme from this theme pack: http://francois.vogelweith.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=3&Itemid=14 (He has a easy PPA to install these in Ubuntu) I am also using the Docky interface for Gnome-DO and the Gnome Global Menu, and four screenlets (The Slideshow to display pictures on the Desktop, the clock and the Ring System Monitor and a notepad.)

This is a default Ubuntu Desktop (Less 1 menu bar) using the Ubuntu Sunrise theme from this theme pack:

http://francois.vogelweith.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=3&Itemid=14 (He has a easy PPA to install these in Ubuntu)

I am also using the Docky interface for Gnome-DO and the Gnome Global Menu, and four screenlets (The Slideshow to display pictures on the Desktop, the clock and the Ring System Monitor and a notepad.)

• Xipher_Zero
    RE: Games You Play under wine ! ! !
    World of Warcraft Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Half Life 2 & Extras (Portal) Nostales

World of Warcraft
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    Half Life 2 & Extras (Portal)
    Nostales

• Xipher_Zero
    RE: What is in your Box ?
    I have. I just prefer Final Cut and unfortunately there just isn't anything quick like it for Linux.
    Link to this post 14 May 09

I have. I just prefer Final Cut and unfortunately there just isn't anything quick like it for Linux.

• Xipher_Zero
    LOL Yeah I used to do that, but I really missed the performance of fully installed systems. I actually use the last 2 partions as floater Linux play partitions and install what looks interesting there. Currently Fedora's installed, but more than likely Ill try mandy again for the hell of it. I primarily use Ubuntu and sometimes OSX for Video editing (My god I cant wait for decent video editing software for linux!)

LOL Yeah I used to do that, but I really missed the performance of fully installed systems. I actually use the last 2 partions as floater Linux play partitions and install what looks interesting there. Currently Fedora's installed, but more than likely Ill try mandy again for the hell of it. I primarily use Ubuntu and sometimes OSX for Video editing (My god I cant wait for decent video editing software for linux!)

• Xipher_Zero
    The first drive is sliced up like this: Win7 :: 200mb Win7 :: 20gb OSx :: 30gb Ubuntu :: 922gb (Root=20gb, swap=2gb, home=900gb) Fedora :: 462.8gb (Root=20gb, home=remainder) I run everything through grub to handle the boot process.

The first drive is sliced up like this:

Win7 :: 200mb
    Win7 :: 20gb
    OSx :: 30gb
    Ubuntu :: 922gb (Root=20gb, swap=2gb, home=900gb)
    Fedora :: 462.8gb (Root=20gb, home=remainder)

I run everything through grub to handle the boot process.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board