• Last Logged In: 16 Mar 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • temmu
    RE: Linux Market Share Passes 1%!!
    yes, exchange. and ms office. when a user gets a ms word 07 document, you either must have word 07 or a reader. that leads less-thinking (most) businesses to purchase ms office. when office 2010 comes out, then the herd of lemmings will follow whoever buys it first and likewise plunge into the sea, thus keeping up with the joneses. open office, anyone?
    Link to this post 30 May 09

yes, exchange.
    and ms office.
    when a user gets a ms word 07 document, you either must have word 07 or a reader.
    that leads less-thinking (most) businesses to purchase ms office.
    when office 2010 comes out, then the herd of lemmings will follow whoever buys it first and likewise plunge into the sea, thus keeping up with the joneses.

open office, anyone?

• temmu
    RE: Linux Market Share Passes 1%!!
    i suspect much more than 1% lots of articles in the past year on this or that government or agency adopting linux. lots of us loading linux on friends' former-windows machines (as they have no licensed copy of windows...) and, on what else besides debian does one run network security tools? ok, that's too narrow... and (i know this is hard to believe) some ppl are actually tired of malware on their pc and would switch if one of us hinted at it... so, yeah, way more than 1%.
    Link to this post 27 May 09

i suspect much more than 1%

lots of articles in the past year on this or that government or agency adopting linux.

lots of us loading linux on friends' former-windows machines (as they have no licensed copy of windows...)

and, on what else besides debian does one run network security tools? ok, that's too narrow...

and (i know this is hard to believe) some ppl are actually tired of malware on their pc and would switch if one of us hinted at it...

so, yeah, way more than 1%.

• temmu
    RE: Why do you love Debian?
    it's stable unless you allow kernel updates and that craps-out your wireless. but nothing that a good deal of searching the internet and advice from good ppl at another forum couldn't fix. after a couple of days. :P not to mention the learning curve on the way in with wireless. :P thank goodness for wicd. however, with so much invested in it, i've grown fond of it, and hence it stays on the laptop. ;) :)
    Link to this post 22 May 09

it's stable unless you allow kernel updates and that craps-out your wireless.
    but nothing that a good deal of searching the internet and advice from good ppl at another forum couldn't fix.
    after a couple of days. :P

not to mention the learning curve on the way in with wireless. :P
    thank goodness for wicd.

however, with so much invested in it, i've grown fond of it, and hence it stays on the laptop. ;) :)

• temmu
    RE: Do we ever question Linux?
    bit torrent is horrible or wonderful, depending on qty of seeded machines. bit torrent is ok if several ppl give up cpu & bandwidth. but ftp on a cluster of servers with adequate bandwidth works just as well i do not believe the bit torrent [i][b]protocol[/b][/i] is any more efficient than ftp. perhaps i'm wrong on that. case studies anyone?
    Link to this post 18 May 09

bit torrent is horrible or wonderful, depending on qty of seeded machines.

bit torrent is ok if several ppl give up cpu & bandwidth.

but ftp on a cluster of servers with adequate bandwidth works just as well

i do not believe the bit torrent protocol is any more efficient than ftp. perhaps i'm wrong on that. case studies anyone?

• temmu
    [b]"like windows...."[/b] well, the menu bar is unavoidably so, else we risk alienating linux from new users. but that's where it ends for me. [b]command line?[/b] unavoidable. in any os. any power user knows it is too powerful of an asset. [b]standards <> exact sameness[/b] nvidia and ati both implement radically differently in linux, but each is capable of stunning video performance fluxbox, kde, gnome - get to the same point, sorta, but also are quite different in look, feel, and to a point, functionality live cd - many distros, one goal - try before you, er, buy so... standardization does not mean exact sameness
    Link to this post 15 May 09

"like windows...."
    well, the menu bar is unavoidably so, else we risk alienating linux from new users.
    but that's where it ends for me.

command line?
    unavoidable. in any os. any power user knows
    it is too powerful of an asset.

standards <> exact sameness
    nvidia and ati both implement radically differently in linux, but each is capable of stunning video performance
    fluxbox, kde, gnome - get to the same point, sorta, but also are quite different in look, feel, and to a point, functionality
    live cd - many distros, one goal - try before you, er, buy
    so... standardization does not mean exact sameness

• temmu
    RE: where are... 'suggestions' & "meet & greet"
    :laugh: you mean we have to leave this forum and go to another one to make suggestions back at this one? o. my. lord. what will they think of next?! :dry: :laugh:

:laugh: you mean we have to leave this forum and go to another one to make suggestions back at this one?
    o. my. lord.

what will they think of next?! :dry: :laugh:

• temmu
    [b]standardization is the key to success[/b] - ethernet - pc - wide-open implementation of various (hardware) standards - linux file locations (sorry, changing that structure won't make a better os.) - the look and feel of the standard menu bar everyone knows file = save, save as, print whether windows or linux what causes loss in standardization is the years it may take to come to a standard, or a vendor jumping the gun and creating a pseudo-standard, incompatible with anything else. w/o standardization, mine won't talk to yours. there is no basis for trade (gallon, liter, euro, dollar) nor communication (what language we agree to use) etc.

standardization is the key to success
    - ethernet
    - pc - wide-open implementation of various (hardware) standards
    - linux file locations
    (sorry, changing that structure won't make a better os.)
    - the look and feel of the standard menu bar
    everyone knows file = save, save as, print
    whether windows or linux

what causes loss in standardization is the years it may take to come to a standard, or a vendor jumping the gun and creating a pseudo-standard, incompatible with anything else.

w/o standardization, mine won't talk to yours.
    there is no basis for trade (gallon, liter, euro, dollar)
    nor communication (what language we agree to use)
    etc.

• temmu
    where are... 'suggestions' & "meet & greet"
    <--- blank space left to clear the days, hours, minutes thingy... hello. most forums have a place --- to chat --- to report forum / website problems --- to make suggestions about the forum / website
    Link to this post 14 May 09

<--- blank space left to clear the days, hours, minutes thingy...

hello.

most forums have a place
    --- to chat
    --- to report forum / website problems
    --- to make suggestions about the forum / website

• temmu
    RE: I have no idea what Subject means in this context
    :laugh: i don't ever fill in the blanks truthfully the last thing i need is yet another site gathering stats on me...

:laugh:
    i don't ever fill in the blanks truthfully
    the last thing i need is yet another site gathering stats on me...

• temmu
    RE: What do you think of This Forum Software
    newspaper. skinny columns. makes it easy to read lots o' text. if i 'm posting looong questions / answers i break it up into short, easy to read phrases even if the sentence is long. so, me, i have no problem with the posting area size. ooo ooo what's that directly above me? could it be? it is! hello, eric! :lol:

newspaper.

skinny columns.
    makes it easy to read lots o' text.

if i 'm posting looong questions / answers
    i break it up into short, easy to read phrases
    even if the sentence is long.

so, me, i have no problem with the posting area size.

ooo ooo what's that directly above me? could it be?
    it is!
    hello, eric! :lol:

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board