• Last Logged In: 29 Apr 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • tyctyctyc
    SLACKWARE V13-64, HP G60 AND G70 SERIES LAPTOPS
    Anyone here using a HP G60 or G70 series laptop with Slackware v13-64? If so, have you been able to get sound to work with this hardware/software mix and if so, how did you do it? tyc
    Link to this post 15 Apr 10

Anyone here using a HP G60 or G70 series laptop with Slackware v13-64?

If so, have you been able to get sound to work with this hardware/software mix and if so, how did you do it?

tyc

• tyctyctyc
    RE: Old Tale With a New Twist ...
    [b]mfillpot wrote:[/b] [quote]Have you confirmed that the modem is properly detected and the correct driver module is loaded for your modem? As for the modification of the rights on kppp, I would recommend setting up the rights for only the necessary users in the sudoers file to launch it with root permissions rather than playing with the permissions. It you like you can also modify the executable path for the kppp desktop file for the effected user to launch it with kdesu, but that will still require the root password. I recently got a Q61 (Compaq) laptop that has a audio chip that is supported, but not completed, I does not detect the headphones and automute the speakers. the reason is because the specific snd-hda_intel module that is used to make the audio work has not yet gotten that function working in a stable manner. The issue with your sound may be similar in which the chipset may be so new that the drivers and codecs have not been pushed in the kernel and also versions you are using. But alternately you can run alsoconfig or alsconf (I can't remember which) to see what cards are detected and tell alsa to use them. THe OOo item seems new to me, where are you getting the OOo package or build from?[/quote] Yes, the modem has been detected: Using KPPP setup, the modem codes show, correctly but still "MODEM BUSY". As I understand it (from years of experience with Suse v10.0) if the modem was not detected, the modem codes would not show. So, I figure I have the "right modem" selected: ie "..sl0" As for Alsaconfig, yes, I've been that route and the alsastore command is showing up at the end of the bootup list display; I boot to 3, not 5, then go from there; i.e., terminal or gui display. You might note, there APPEARS to be a pattern regarding this sound and your notes above regarding a new chip could be correct; i.e., as I understand it, the HP G60 and G70 series laptops (which otherwise seem to be nothing less than excellent laptops for the price) seem to be having this "Linux Sound Problem." About that OOo problem. I got v 3.1.1 from OOo itself and yes, after opening the packages, all of which are RPM, I did use the RPM2xxx (forget at the moment what that Slackware format tag) but still, no go. I can tell you this, the packages did end up in OPT and using KDE v4, the packages did show BUT when using KDE v4 the Writer and Spreadsheets (and I guess the others as well but I didn't try them) did not activate. Got a small bouncing icon but the program itself did not come up. Damned annoying. It's tax time and I really could have used that spreadsheet. I have a small business here and have for years used OOo and have a high regard for it - save for the mail merge program in Writer - worst I've ever come across and I've been using these "personal computers" since before the Apple and the Radio Shack Model I's came out. Again, thanks for getting back. Will have to reveiw your comments so far and think about them but for now it's been a long day. tyc
    Link to this post 14 Apr 10

mfillpot wrote:

Have you confirmed that the modem is properly detected and the correct driver module is loaded for your modem? As for the modification of the rights on kppp, I would recommend setting up the rights for only the necessary users in the sudoers file to launch it with root permissions rather than playing with the permissions. It you like you can also modify the executable path for the kppp desktop file for the effected user to launch it with kdesu, but that will still require the root password.

I recently got a Q61 (Compaq) laptop that has a audio chip that is supported, but not completed, I does not detect the headphones and automute the speakers. the reason is because the specific snd-hda_intel module that is used to make the audio work has not yet gotten that function working in a stable manner. The issue with your sound may be similar in which the chipset may be so new that the drivers and codecs have not been pushed in the kernel and also versions you are using. But alternately you can run alsoconfig or alsconf (I can't remember which) to see what cards are detected and tell alsa to use them.

THe OOo item seems new to me, where are you getting the OOo package or build from?

Yes, the modem has been detected: Using KPPP setup, the modem codes show, correctly but still "MODEM BUSY". As I understand it (from years of experience with Suse v10.0) if the modem was not detected, the modem codes would not show. So, I figure I have the "right modem" selected: ie "..sl0"

As for Alsaconfig, yes, I've been that route and the alsastore command is showing up at the end of the bootup list display; I boot to 3, not 5, then go from there; i.e., terminal or gui display. You might note, there APPEARS to be a pattern regarding this sound and your notes above regarding a new chip could be correct; i.e., as I understand it, the HP G60 and G70 series laptops (which otherwise seem to be nothing less than excellent laptops for the price) seem to be having this "Linux Sound Problem."

About that OOo problem. I got v 3.1.1 from OOo itself and yes, after opening the packages, all of which are RPM, I did use the RPM2xxx (forget at the moment what that Slackware format tag) but still, no go. I can tell you this, the packages did end up in OPT and using KDE v4, the packages did show BUT when using KDE v4 the Writer and Spreadsheets (and I guess the others as well but I didn't try them) did not activate. Got a small bouncing icon but the program itself did not come up. Damned annoying. It's tax time and I really could have used that spreadsheet. I have a small business here and have for years used OOo and have a high regard for it - save for the mail merge program in Writer - worst I've ever come across and I've been using these "personal computers" since before the Apple and the Radio Shack Model I's came out.

Again, thanks for getting back. Will have to reveiw your comments so far and think about them but for now it's been a long day.

tyc

• tyctyctyc
    I stand corrected! You were right, I was wrong. The command "which" It does work - but proved useless as the KPPP file did show and after employing CHOWN ROOT.ROOT as well as CHMOD +S, I'm sitll getting "MODEM BUSY." Using CHOWN and ROOT as just shown does consistantly work when using Suse v10.0 but not with Slackware. By chance, are you familiar with or know anyone who is using Slackware v13-64 with a HP G71 series laptop? I ask this as I've recently elected to try and make this Slackware work, which I suspect it should, as opposed to shoving it down Volkerding's throat. Been using Linux in a business eviornment for 9 or so years now and have never had so much trouble with a Linux OS. Problems (no sound, failure to install OOo and modem/KPPP) are just unbelievable and while some are directly attributable to Slackware's makeup, the sound and KPPP problems may not be. Again, thanks for getting back, it's appreciated. tyc
    Link to this post 13 Apr 10

I stand corrected!

You were right, I was wrong. The command "which" It does work - but proved useless as the KPPP file did show and after employing CHOWN ROOT.ROOT as well as CHMOD +S, I'm sitll getting "MODEM BUSY." Using CHOWN and ROOT as just shown does consistantly work when using Suse v10.0 but not with Slackware.

By chance, are you familiar with or know anyone who is using Slackware v13-64 with a HP G71 series laptop? I ask this as I've recently elected to try and make this Slackware work, which I suspect it should, as opposed to shoving it down Volkerding's throat. Been using Linux in a business eviornment for 9 or so years now and have never had so much trouble with a Linux OS.
    Problems (no sound, failure to install OOo and modem/KPPP) are just unbelievable and while some are directly attributable to Slackware's makeup, the sound and KPPP problems may not be.

Again, thanks for getting back, it's appreciated.

tyc

• tyctyctyc
    I appreciate your reply but what you have stated is NOT true with Slackware v13-64 ... tyc
    Link to this post 13 Apr 10

I appreciate your reply but what you have stated is NOT true with Slackware v13-64 ...

tyc

• tyctyctyc
    Old Tale With a New Twist ...
    Are any of you using KPPP with KDE 4? I'm facing the same problem with Mandriva 2009, Open Suse v11 as well as with Slackware v13-64 ... I've been using Suse v10.0 for years and long ago solved the KPPP problem of "Modem Not Found" as well as "Modem Busy" but with this newer version of KDE, the v4 series, I just don't know where the KPPP file is so I can change the owner to "+s"; . Any ideas? Thanks. tyc
    Link to this post 12 Apr 10

Are any of you using KPPP with KDE 4?

I'm facing the same problem with Mandriva 2009, Open Suse v11 as well as with Slackware v13-64 ... I've been using Suse v10.0 for years and long ago solved the KPPP problem of "Modem Not Found" as well as "Modem Busy" but with this newer version of KDE, the v4 series, I just don't know where the KPPP file is so I can change the owner to "+s"; <chown +s>.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

tyc

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board