• Last Logged In: 22 Feb

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Rubberman
    RE: rsync is very slow between the linux and additional secure HDD
    You say this is a secure drive, so I assume it is encrypted. If so, that is likely the cause of the slowness of the data transfer. Encryption (especially with modern strong encryption routines) can be quite slow, especially when it has to be done in software. My work laptop uses full-disc encryption, which is noticeably slower in copying large data sets than it would be if it weren't encrypted.
    Link to this post 31 May 12

You say this is a secure drive, so I assume it is encrypted. If so, that is likely the cause of the slowness of the data transfer. Encryption (especially with modern strong encryption routines) can be quite slow, especially when it has to be done in software. My work laptop uses full-disc encryption, which is noticeably slower in copying large data sets than it would be if it weren't encrypted.

• Rubberman
    RE: Ubuntu with photoshop cs6
    I have a number of Windows programs that I run with Wine on my RHEL 6.2 system, but I also have a couple that will only run in Windows proper, so for those I run them in a Windows XP virtual machine (VirtualBox). It works just great for that. Some of the applications I run that way include my Fidelity stock/option trading software and my Epson document scanner software.
    Link to this post 25 May 12

I have a number of Windows programs that I run with Wine on my RHEL 6.2 system, but I also have a couple that will only run in Windows proper, so for those I run them in a Windows XP virtual machine (VirtualBox). It works just great for that. Some of the applications I run that way include my Fidelity stock/option trading software and my Epson document scanner software.

• Rubberman
    RE: HELP
    Which depends upon what you are doing. All Linux server editions will serve for web, mail, directory, dns, firewall, and other services. Which you choose depends a lot on other factors such as versions of software that you need to run, who is going to maintain it, how many users will be on the system. We use RHEL for our proxy browsers, supporting up to 800+ users per physical server (dual quad or six core cpus, 72GB RAM, 500GB+ disc space each).

Which depends upon what you are doing. All Linux server editions will serve for web, mail, directory, dns, firewall, and other services. Which you choose depends a lot on other factors such as versions of software that you need to run, who is going to maintain it, how many users will be on the system. We use RHEL for our proxy browsers, supporting up to 800+ users per physical server (dual quad or six core cpus, 72GB RAM, 500GB+ disc space each).

• Rubberman
    RE: Book
    Check out The Linux Documentation Project: www.tldp.org

Check out The Linux Documentation Project: www.tldp.org

• Rubberman
    RE: Unrecoverable Error
    It may be that some service or driver can't start, but it obviously is not one that you are dependent upon. You can look at the system messages in /var/log/messages* for indicators of what went wrong. It may be that you can just disable some service, or remove an unneeded driver to stop the "nagging".
    Link to this post 17 May 12

It may be that some service or driver can't start, but it obviously is not one that you are dependent upon. You can look at the system messages in /var/log/messages* for indicators of what went wrong. It may be that you can just disable some service, or remove an unneeded driver to stop the "nagging".

• Rubberman
    RE: Error messages after Update
    This is usually due to the repository for an installed package to be unavailable, for whatever reason (network problems, servers down, company out of business). Try again in a few days is my usual advice. If the problem persists, find out the web address of the software provider and see what they say.
    Link to this post 09 May 12

This is usually due to the repository for an installed package to be unavailable, for whatever reason (network problems, servers down, company out of business). Try again in a few days is my usual advice. If the problem persists, find out the web address of the software provider and see what they say.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board