• Last Logged In: 22 Feb

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Rubberman
    RE: Show Your Computers
    @goingeasy I used to write risk analysis software for the options trading industry in Chicago. To trade stocks/options effectively, you really need dual HD displays (or more), plus a REALLY big pipe... :-)
    Link to this post 06 Jun 12

@goingeasy

I used to write risk analysis software for the options trading industry in Chicago. To trade stocks/options effectively, you really need dual HD displays (or more), plus a REALLY big pipe... :-)

• Rubberman
    RE: Ubuntu with photoshop cs6
    I'll send her a message now. No promises. I'll probably be able to tell you something tomorrow.
    Link to this post 05 Jun 12

I'll send her a message now. No promises. I'll probably be able to tell you something tomorrow.

• Rubberman
    RE: Ubuntu with photoshop cs6
    Unfortunately, Photoshop hasn't worked well under Wine since version 7 (pre-CS5). I still keep that version on my system, but to tell the truth I usually run such applications in a Windows virtual machine running under Linux. If you want to run CS6 (or 5 for that matter), then you will have to pay the Microsoft tax... :-( Open source alternatives? Try GIMP. The latest versions have been well-received by the graphics arts community. As for animation tools, there are good FOSS tools for that as well. I'll check with my sister-in-law (a professional animator and animation educator) to see what she knows about FOSS tools of the trade.
    Link to this post 05 Jun 12

Unfortunately, Photoshop hasn't worked well under Wine since version 7 (pre-CS5). I still keep that version on my system, but to tell the truth I usually run such applications in a Windows virtual machine running under Linux. If you want to run CS6 (or 5 for that matter), then you will have to pay the Microsoft tax... :-( Open source alternatives? Try GIMP. The latest versions have been well-received by the graphics arts community. As for animation tools, there are good FOSS tools for that as well. I'll check with my sister-in-law (a professional animator and animation educator) to see what she knows about FOSS tools of the trade.

• Rubberman
    RE: Show Your Computers
    My system is somewhat dated now - it's 4.5 years old, but it still kicks butt! Intel S5000XVN server/workstation motherboard 2x 3GHz E5450 Penryn CPUs 8GB RAM 320GB hot-swap Sata-2 system drive 4x500GB Sata-2 data drives (internal) 2x CD/DVD recorders 3 external eSata-2 RAID arrays - 2 in RAID-5 format, and 1 in JBOD format - total storage of ~16TB. Video - nVidia 8800GT w/ 2 1920x1200 displays. 1500W UPS 1x 1TB NAS RAID-5 array
    Link to this post 31 May 12

My system is somewhat dated now - it's 4.5 years old, but it still kicks butt!

Intel S5000XVN server/workstation motherboard
    2x 3GHz E5450 Penryn CPUs
    8GB RAM
    320GB hot-swap Sata-2 system drive
    4x500GB Sata-2 data drives (internal)
    2x CD/DVD recorders
    3 external eSata-2 RAID arrays - 2 in RAID-5 format, and 1 in JBOD format - total storage of ~16TB.
    Video - nVidia 8800GT w/ 2 1920x1200 displays.
    1500W UPS
    1x 1TB NAS RAID-5 array

• Rubberman
    RE: Roguewavve Component Builder
    Contact RogueWave? I was a RW OEM for years in the 90's and 00's - their engineering tech support people were always very helpful. If this is not a legitimately licensed copy, then you are SOL - pay the price and get the support!

Contact RogueWave? I was a RW OEM for years in the 90's and 00's - their engineering tech support people were always very helpful. If this is not a legitimately licensed copy, then you are SOL - pay the price and get the support!

• Rubberman
    RE: Looking for a kernel developer/expert with SE Linux - anyone?
    The kernel has little to do with SELinux. That is an add-on service that is started after the kernel is booted. What exactly are you trying to accomplish, aside from trying to recruit someone whose expertise you are clueless about? :rolleyes:

The kernel has little to do with SELinux. That is an add-on service that is started after the kernel is booted. What exactly are you trying to accomplish, aside from trying to recruit someone whose expertise you are clueless about? :rolleyes:

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board