• Last Logged In: 10 Aug 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • jabirali
    RE: Non- "WYSIWYG" Text Editing?
    [b]GrouchoMarxist wrote:[/b] [quote]Would LaTeX also be advisable for non-technical works as well? I ask because I would like to compose several non-Linux related works, such as a science fiction book? Thank you for your help in this matter.[/quote]For non-technical works, LaTeX still has the advantage of separating the content from the formatting. You can write your entire book without having to care about how the document [i]looks[/i], and just focus on the content. When you're done, you can then tweak the appearance of the document by modifying your "preamble". You can of course play with fonts, margins and section headings - but there's a lot more available, like proper [url=http://nitens.org/taraborelli/latex]ligatures and smallcaps[/url] by default, and support for [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microtype]microtypography[/url]. If you ever wonder how to make the document look exactly how [i]you[/i] want it, someone has probably made a TeX package that lets you do it.
    Link to this post 31 May 11

GrouchoMarxist wrote:

Would LaTeX also be advisable for non-technical works as well? I ask because I would like to compose several non-Linux related works, such as a science fiction book? Thank you for your help in this matter.
    For non-technical works, LaTeX still has the advantage of separating the content from the formatting. You can write your entire book without having to care about how the document looks, and just focus on the content.

When you're done, you can then tweak the appearance of the document by modifying your "preamble". You can of course play with fonts, margins and section headings - but there's a lot more available, like proper ligatures and smallcaps by default, and support for microtypography. If you ever wonder how to make the document look exactly how you want it, someone has probably made a TeX package that lets you do it.

• jabirali
    RE: writing cgi using C++
    I'm glad I could help :)
    Link to this post 28 May 11

I'm glad I could help :)

• jabirali
    RE: Hosting Advice
    [b]tomasr wrote:[/b] [quote]What hosting service should I use?[/quote]What do you mean? As far as I know, "hosting service" usually refers to companies that maintain a web server for you, while you seem to wish to maintain your own server. Do you mean what software packages you should install on your server? Or perhaps where to get a domain name? [b]tomasr wrote:[/b] [quote]I'm also a worried about security - if I setup a server and it gets hacked, I don't want to end up paying thousands of dollars for the resources stolen by the hackers.[/quote]What kind of resources are we talking about here? Passwords should always be stored in an encrypted format. If you mean personal information, you could always put up a disclaimer encouraging that people don't disclose anything they intend to keep private. Mail addresses may be prone to spamming if the wrong people get to them, but I've never heard of anyone being sued for something like that. Good luck on the project by the way, it sounds like fun :)

tomasr wrote:

What hosting service should I use?
    What do you mean? As far as I know, "hosting service" usually refers to companies that maintain a web server for you, while you seem to wish to maintain your own server. Do you mean what software packages you should install on your server? Or perhaps where to get a domain name?

tomasr wrote:

I'm also a worried about security - if I setup a server and it gets hacked, I don't want to end up paying thousands of dollars for the resources stolen by the hackers.
    What kind of resources are we talking about here? Passwords should always be stored in an encrypted format. If you mean personal information, you could always put up a disclaimer encouraging that people don't disclose anything they intend to keep private. Mail addresses may be prone to spamming if the wrong people get to them, but I've never heard of anyone being sued for something like that.

Good luck on the project by the way, it sounds like fun :)

• jabirali
    RE: Which distro do you find works the best ?
    [b]AstarothMastemaRavenclaw wrote:[/b] [quote]I also bought myself a nifty 16GB usb and was wondering which distros are good to use from usb ?[/quote]This kind of depends on what you will use the distribution for, as any recent distribution can be made to run from a USB pen. Since many USB devices are quite slow, something lightweight like [url=http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/]Damn Small Linux[/url] or [url=http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm]Puppy Linux[/url] would probably be ideal though :-)

AstarothMastemaRavenclaw wrote:

I also bought myself a nifty 16GB usb and was wondering which distros are good to use from usb ?
    This kind of depends on what you will use the distribution for, as any recent distribution can be made to run from a USB pen. Since many USB devices are quite slow, something lightweight like Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux would probably be ideal though :-)

• jabirali
    RE: writing cgi using C++
    Have you tried doing something like this?[code] #include #include #include using namespace std; int main() { stringstream ss; ss << cin.rdbuf(); cout << "Content-type: text/html\\n\\n\\n" << "Data received:\\n" << ss.str() << "\\n\\n"; return 0; }[/code]

Have you tried doing something like this?

#include <iostream>
    #include <sstream>
    #include <string>
    using namespace std;

int main()
    {
    stringstream ss;
    ss << cin.rdbuf();

cout << "Content-type: text/html\\n\\n<html><body>\\n"
    << "Data received:\\n" << ss.str() << "\\n</body></html>\\n";

return 0;
    }

• jabirali
    RE: ???wine to emulate mac programs???
    It might be possible to run OS X i a virtual machine (virtualbox, etc) on Linux, but I don't believe I've heard of something wine-like for OS X applications - and a quick google indicates that in [url=http://apple.slashdot.org/story/07/07/30/0230204/Run-Mac-OS-X-Apps-On-Linux]2007[/url] nobody had done it yet. You've got the [url=http://mac-on-linux.sourceforge.net/]Mac on Linux[/url] project, but it seems somewhat dead now, and looks more like a virtual machine for PowerPC than something wine-ish. You're absolutely right that it's [i]possible[/i] to do it. The problem is that reverse-engineering and re-implementing undocumented APIs take a lot of time and resources, and there aren't that many mainstream applications available on OS X that are not also available on Windows - and hence runnable in wine. The need just hasn't been big enough yet. I might be wrong though, there are lots of projects on the Internet that I've never heard of ;)
    Link to this post 27 May 11

It might be possible to run OS X i a virtual machine (virtualbox, etc) on Linux, but I don't believe I've heard of something wine-like for OS X applications - and a quick google indicates that in 2007 nobody had done it yet. You've got the Mac on Linux project, but it seems somewhat dead now, and looks more like a virtual machine for PowerPC than something wine-ish.

You're absolutely right that it's possible to do it. The problem is that reverse-engineering and re-implementing undocumented APIs take a lot of time and resources, and there aren't that many mainstream applications available on OS X that are not also available on Windows - and hence runnable in wine. The need just hasn't been big enough yet.

I might be wrong though, there are lots of projects on the Internet that I've never heard of ;)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board