• Last Logged In: 2 days ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • mfillpot
    RE: Linux alternative to Windows 8 Storage Spaces
    You are referring to LVM and raid functionality. They have been around for a long time. RAID arrays ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID ) allow you to build the redundant storage which can clone or split storage devices into mutliple physical disks to enable failover. RAID arrays can be implemented as software or hardware based solutions, I have even heard talk that the btrfs filesystem is implementing both functions directly into their kernel instructions, but have not verified it myself. LVM is used to setup expandable partitions which can expanded by adding additional lvm partitions to the set when you need more space.
    Link to this post 18 Nov 13

You are referring to LVM and raid functionality. They have been around for a long time.

RAID arrays ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID ) allow you to build the redundant storage which can clone or split storage devices into mutliple physical disks to enable failover. RAID arrays can be implemented as software or hardware based solutions, I have even heard talk that the btrfs filesystem is implementing both functions directly into their kernel instructions, but have not verified it myself.

LVM is used to setup expandable partitions which can expanded by adding additional lvm partitions to the set when you need more space.

• mfillpot
    RE: check_sanity_eventhandler Error
    I do not know if we have any yocto developers in this forum, but you can find the official documentation at https://www.yoctoproject.org/tools-resources/community , you should also join their mailing lists so that you can ask the active community. Also, thank you for the timing of your post. It has acted as a reminder for me to try out yocto by building custom images for my raspberry pi and old routers.
    Link to this post 14 Nov 13

I do not know if we have any yocto developers in this forum, but you can find the official documentation at https://www.yoctoproject.org/tools-resources/community , you should also join their mailing lists so that you can ask the active community.

Also, thank you for the timing of your post. It has acted as a reminder for me to try out yocto by building custom images for my raspberry pi and old routers.

• mfillpot
    RE: Minimum Hardware Needed to start learning Linux
    You can easily install a linux based distribution into a virtual machine using virtulbox or dual boot a physical installation alongside of windows. However if you wish to have another machine the best general requirements at this time are 1GB+ of RAM, and at least a 1 Gig processor. Along those lines there are several embedded or ARM based boards that can run Arm based linux such as the $35 raspberry pi. Even though you would not get server type performance from an embedded it is a cheap and highly functional way to implement a Linux based machine. Some people have setup raspberry pis as network service servers, web servers, home media computers, etc... I personally have an amd 6100 based desktop, an i7 based laptop, a 1.6G centrino based laptop, a 1G intel based chromebook and a raspberry pi all running Linux based operating systems for specific uses and users.
    Link to this post 13 Nov 13

You can easily install a linux based distribution into a virtual machine using virtulbox or dual boot a physical installation alongside of windows.

However if you wish to have another machine the best general requirements at this time are 1GB+ of RAM, and at least a 1 Gig processor.

Along those lines there are several embedded or ARM based boards that can run Arm based linux such as the $35 raspberry pi. Even though you would not get server type performance from an embedded it is a cheap and highly functional way to implement a Linux based machine. Some people have setup raspberry pis as network service servers, web servers, home media computers, etc...

I personally have an amd 6100 based desktop, an i7 based laptop, a 1.6G centrino based laptop, a 1G intel based chromebook and a raspberry pi all running Linux based operating systems for specific uses and users.

• mfillpot
    RE: Getting involved in linux
    If you want to get involved with the kernel and get some experience with their code there are plenty of books that can help get you started you can also volunteer to help with the Kernel Janitors project https://code.google.com/p/kernel-janitors/ However, if you are referring to different elements such as a distribution or a specific software then you would be best off joining their mailing-lists and asking where they may need help outside of coding, some projects have a need for graphic designers, ui designers and various other roles. The best think you can do to help without coding is recommending or refining features to make an application easier or more useful to you and others.

If you want to get involved with the kernel and get some experience with their code there are plenty of books that can help get you started you can also volunteer to help with the Kernel Janitors project https://code.google.com/p/kernel-janitors/

However, if you are referring to different elements such as a distribution or a specific software then you would be best off joining their mailing-lists and asking where they may need help outside of coding, some projects have a need for graphic designers, ui designers and various other roles. The best think you can do to help without coding is recommending or refining features to make an application easier or more useful to you and others.

• mfillpot
    RE: Economically supporting fre software
    If the Linux Foundation has taken interest in the idea they would be working with the various groups to get input before going any further. I know that I had passed on the idea, but I do not know how interested they are in the idea or if they are working on implementing it. If the silence or lack of information is insufficient you can always pass the idea on to other groups or attempt to implement a solution yourself.

If the Linux Foundation has taken interest in the idea they would be working with the various groups to get input before going any further. I know that I had passed on the idea, but I do not know how interested they are in the idea or if they are working on implementing it.

If the silence or lack of information is insufficient you can always pass the idea on to other groups or attempt to implement a solution yourself.

• mfillpot
    RE: Linux Store
    The authors of each distribution are the copyright owners of their logos. To avoid bad relations or potential legal issues it is best to ask each that you wish to use.

The authors of each distribution are the copyright owners of their logos. To avoid bad relations or potential legal issues it is best to ask each that you wish to use.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board