• Last Logged In: 4 days ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • mfillpot
    RE: converting to linux
    You can install a linux based distro as a dual boot option along side of windows if you have disk space available or you can buy a small cheap embedded system like the raspberry pi and install a linux based distro on it. Using a raspberry pi you can setup a webserver, program new applications or even interface it with other devices for robotics.
    Link to this post 13 Oct 13

You can install a linux based distro as a dual boot option along side of windows if you have disk space available or you can buy a small cheap embedded system like the raspberry pi and install a linux based distro on it. Using a raspberry pi you can setup a webserver, program new applications or even interface it with other devices for robotics.

• mfillpot
    RE: Economically supporting fre software
    I have already forwarded this message to a lead at the Linux Foundation, if they or their partners are interested in the idea then something may come from it. Thank you for sharing the information here.
    Link to this post 04 Oct 13

I have already forwarded this message to a lead at the Linux Foundation, if they or their partners are interested in the idea then something may come from it.

Thank you for sharing the information here.

• mfillpot
    RE: Native support for ATI and nVidia, best choice today?
    I have had the same negative experiences trying to get ATI to work with the binary drivers on Linux based systems. For that reason all of my systems either have nvidia or intel graphics. ATI has released their specs to the linux engineers and the native kernel drivers are getting better, as for nvidia they jsut started working with the kernel devs and granting information that will improve the performance. Hopefully with the potential of Steam Machines they will both take the Linux ecosystem more seriously and increase their contributions.
    Link to this post 02 Oct 13

I have had the same negative experiences trying to get ATI to work with the binary drivers on Linux based systems. For that reason all of my systems either have nvidia or intel graphics. ATI has released their specs to the linux engineers and the native kernel drivers are getting better, as for nvidia they jsut started working with the kernel devs and granting information that will improve the performance. Hopefully with the potential of Steam Machines they will both take the Linux ecosystem more seriously and increase their contributions.

• mfillpot
    RE: Economically supporting fre software
    That is an interesting idea, the real limitation would be facilitating the necessary account information for the money to be passed to the participating groups/organizations.
    Link to this post 02 Oct 13

That is an interesting idea, the real limitation would be facilitating the necessary account information for the money to be passed to the participating groups/organizations.

• mfillpot
    RE: Steam for Ubuntu
    I have been using steam on Slackware since the beta was released and my son it using it in Ubuntu. It has always performed well, which is why I have been waiting impatiently to hear the news. The news that they will be releasing their own OS to manufacturers in a way like Android is done sounds very good, it will allow different hardware options and can be controlled very easily through their chosen package management system. I really wish they would give a couple of normal users like myself a copy of the OS for full testing on home systems.
    Link to this post 24 Sep 13

I have been using steam on Slackware since the beta was released and my son it using it in Ubuntu. It has always performed well, which is why I have been waiting impatiently to hear the news.

The news that they will be releasing their own OS to manufacturers in a way like Android is done sounds very good, it will allow different hardware options and can be controlled very easily through their chosen package management system.

I really wish they would give a couple of normal users like myself a copy of the OS for full testing on home systems.

• mfillpot
    RE: VM virus
    By what I have seen the W32.* viri are targeting windows based OS only. If it is a windows viri, then it can still mount a linux VM from windows but the wiri could not execute on non-windows systems and non-windows VMs.
    Link to this post 23 Sep 13

By what I have seen the W32.* viri are targeting windows based OS only. If it is a windows viri, then it can still mount a linux VM from windows but the wiri could not execute on non-windows systems and non-windows VMs.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board