• Last Logged In: 03 Dec 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • ViaNocturna2010
    A Linux Career
    Hey there! I am very stuck right now and need some advice from the professionals. My name is Arthur and I'm 26 living in the Netherlands. I used to live in England and did my studies there. The problem is that the UK aren't hugely obsessed with qualifications and value work experience highly. Since I finished High School at 16 having received fantastic grades, I never even seen IT as a career, I enjoyed it too much and I always thought it was just a hobby. I started work with computers and because of my experience with Linux had many jobs I loved with Linux. I then moved to Holland again and tried the same thing. The problem is that Holland base everything on qualifications. And I had no IT degrees or qualifications. Every interview I got rejected due to it, whilst they said I obviously knew what I was talking about with IT and Linux. They also don't really recognise LPI or RedHat qualifications. The only thing they recognise is HBO, this is a 4 year course costing an aweful lot of money and in those 4 years Linux gets covered for 1 month, teaching how you install it, use the terminal and apt-get or yum (hardly something I need to re-learn at this stage). I guess my question here is, how can I convince people I am good at what I do, or any way I can get a job in Linux without needing to spend 4 years at university and thousands of euro's? Any help is appreciated. Thank you for taking your time to read this. Arthur
    Link to this post 16 Mar 12

Hey there!

I am very stuck right now and need some advice from the professionals.
    My name is Arthur and I'm 26 living in the Netherlands.
    I used to live in England and did my studies there.
    The problem is that the UK aren't hugely obsessed with qualifications and value work experience highly.
    Since I finished High School at 16 having received fantastic grades, I never even seen IT as a career, I enjoyed it too much and I always thought it was just a hobby.
    I started work with computers and because of my experience with Linux had many jobs I loved with Linux.
    I then moved to Holland again and tried the same thing.
    The problem is that Holland base everything on qualifications. And I had no IT degrees or qualifications.
    Every interview I got rejected due to it, whilst they said I obviously knew what I was talking about with IT and Linux.
    They also don't really recognise LPI or RedHat qualifications. The only thing they recognise is HBO, this is a 4 year course costing an aweful lot of money and in those 4 years Linux gets covered for 1 month, teaching how you install it, use the terminal and apt-get or yum (hardly something I need to re-learn at this stage).

I guess my question here is, how can I convince people I am good at what I do, or any way I can get a job in Linux without needing to spend 4 years at university and thousands of euro's?

Any help is appreciated.
    Thank you for taking your time to read this.

Arthur

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board