• Last Logged In: 24 hours ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Matt Palmer
    RE: Minimal linux distro
    Sorry! missed the Virtual environment requirements there. DSL prob not suitable unless running something like UML.
    Link to this post 11 May 11

Sorry! missed the Virtual environment requirements there. DSL prob not suitable unless running something like UML.

• Matt Palmer
    RE: Minimal linux distro
    Hi, you could take a look at DSL (Damn Small Linux). It has a really small footprint (50MB ) and runs on just about anything. take a look here:http://www.damnsmalllinux.org. It can be run as a LiveCD or installed and run on Physical or Virtual hardware: I've run it successfully on Qemu, VMware Fusion, and LiveCD, all of these were great and reasonable fast. Hope that helps Matt
    Link to this post 11 May 11

Hi,

you could take a look at DSL (Damn Small Linux). It has a really small footprint (50MB ) and runs on just about anything.

take a look here:http://www.damnsmalllinux.org. It can be run as a LiveCD or installed and run on Physical or Virtual hardware:

I've run it successfully on Qemu, VMware Fusion, and LiveCD, all of these were great and reasonable fast.

Hope that helps

Matt

• Matt Palmer
    RE: Full text search engines
    Hi atreyu, have you checked out SoLR?? I've had a brief play with it and its pretty quick/powerful. Some pretty big sites use it behind the scenes too. - They've got a list of named users available and case studies. Its got some cool features, caching (pretty important if speed is an issue), replication(awesome), distributed search, and it comes with a good suite of APIs for use with database integration. http://lucene.apache.org/solr/
    Link to this post 06 May 11

Hi atreyu,

have you checked out SoLR?? I've had a brief play with it and its pretty quick/powerful. Some pretty big sites use it behind the scenes too. - They've got a list of named users available and case studies.

Its got some cool features, caching (pretty important if speed is an issue), replication(awesome), distributed search, and it comes with a good suite of APIs for use with database integration.

http://lucene.apache.org/solr/

• Matt Palmer
    RE: imac power pc g3
    Hi, I agree with mfillpot would be better to source a replacement cd drive from ebay, unless thats not an option for you? not too sure on PPC G3 arch and if it supports Target disk mode but if it does... If you have another mac, you could try starting the broken one in target disk mode so that it appears on the desktop of the 'other' mac. If your using OSX you could then use something like 'dd' and install the OS as an image (SuSE have suse studio which allows you to create your OS online and then download the HD image to push to a disk device. Hope that helps.
    Link to this post 05 May 11

Hi,

I agree with mfillpot would be better to source a replacement cd drive from ebay, unless thats not an option for you?

not too sure on PPC G3 arch and if it supports Target disk mode but if it does...

If you have another mac, you could try starting the broken one in target disk mode so that it appears on the desktop of the 'other' mac. If your using OSX you could then use something like 'dd' and install the OS as an image (SuSE have suse studio which allows you to create your OS online and then download the HD image to push to a disk device.

Hope that helps.

• Matt Palmer
    RE: vi - anyway to jump line while in insert mode?
    Hi, if you know the line number you want, you can: vi CTRL-C ":" then hit Enter hope that helps regards Matt
    Link to this post 03 May 11

Hi,

if you know the line number you want, you can:

vi <filename>
    CTRL-C
    ":<line-number>"
    then hit Enter

hope that helps

regards

Matt

• Matt Palmer
    RE: Welcome to Linux.com
    Hi Anand, Welcome to Linux.com. Its a really friendly site with a great selection of groups and forums to help you on your journey to becoming more familiar with Linux. I hope you enjoy the variety of different posts people contribute. Best Regards Matt
    Link to this post 30 Apr 11

Hi Anand,

Welcome to Linux.com. Its a really friendly site with a great selection of groups and forums to help you on your journey to becoming more familiar with Linux.

I hope you enjoy the variety of different posts people contribute.

Best Regards

Matt

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board