• Last Logged In: 26 Jun 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • WebCaesar
    Simple Networking Problem
    Hello, I have 2 laptops connected by a lan cable - from 1 laptop network card to the other. the first laptop is an Asus eeePc that runs a modified version of debian. this one is connected to the internet and i simply want the other one to connect to the internet via the lan cable. -------------------------------------------------- the "server" has 2 connections: 1. one for connecting to the internet via a dialup mobile connection (i checked and this connection is shared) 2. the 2nd connection: "Local Area Connection" defined this way: IP address: 192.168.0.4 subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 + it is also marked as 'shared' that's all, no Gateway/DNS/Wins defined -------------------------------------------------- the "client" (Debian 5.0 Lenny) has its own "Wired connection" defined this way: Configuration: Static IP address ip addreess: 192.168.0.3 subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.0.4 -------------------------------------------------- my problem is that the client (192.168.0.3) cannot open web pages even if it sees just fine the server's files. please let me know what can i do to fix this. thanks, Andy
    Link to this post 23 Jun 10

Hello,

I have 2 laptops connected by a lan cable - from 1 laptop network card to the other.

the first laptop is an Asus eeePc that runs a modified version of debian.
    this one is connected to the internet and i simply want the other one to connect to the internet via the lan cable.

--------------------------------------------------

the "server" has 2 connections:
    1. one for connecting to the internet via a dialup mobile connection (i checked and this connection is shared)

2. the 2nd connection: "Local Area Connection" defined this way:
    IP address: 192.168.0.4
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    + it is also marked as 'shared'
    that's all, no Gateway/DNS/Wins defined

the "client" (Debian 5.0 Lenny) has its own "Wired connection" defined this way:
    Configuration: Static IP address
    ip addreess: 192.168.0.3
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.4

my problem is that the client (192.168.0.3) cannot open web pages even if it sees just fine the server's files.

please let me know what can i do to fix this.

thanks,
    Andy

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board