• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 25 Aug 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • JohnVV
    RE: Max Kernel.SHMMAX in SUSE10(32Bit) ?
    [quote] Max i am able to set is only 4GB[/quote] i thought that that 4 would be 4 gig - ( minus) 1 bit and with the pae installed 4gig-1 is the MAX that 32 bit can use have you talked to your novell rep seeing as you need to be paying them for support for SELS or SELD 10 or is this OpenSUSE10 ( opensuse 11.2 and 3 are supported )
    Link to this post 13 Feb 11

Max i am able to set is only 4GB

i thought that that 4 would be
    4 gig - ( minus) 1 bit

and with the pae installed 4gig-1 is the MAX that 32 bit can use

have you talked to your novell rep seeing as you need to be paying them for support for SELS or SELD 10
    or is this OpenSUSE10 ( opensuse 11.2 and 3 are supported )

• JohnVV
    RE: openarena
    the new version is nice .Plays nice and has some very nice graphics . But it made me remember why i do not care for FPS much .What can you say but - just not quite my cup of tea. i draw the line with BZFlag , that i do like. oops . edit i miss read the name i was referring to alienarena-7.50
    Link to this post 25 Dec 10

the new version is nice .Plays nice and has some very nice graphics .
    But it made me remember why i do not care for FPS much .What can you say but - just not quite my cup of tea.

i draw the line with BZFlag , that i do like.

oops . edit
    i miss read the name
    i was referring to alienarena-7.50

• JohnVV
    RE: Quitting Ubuntu
    if you want "stable " then you can not beat CentOS ( the free version of Red Hat RHEL ) the programs in it are a bit on the older side but in 5 years of use I have had only ONE 1 crash , and that was 100% MY fault . fedora ????? yes and no it is a VERY fast and VERY NEW "cutting edge" distro and can be VERY unstable . crashing 2 times a week or so on average . But with A LOT of care and a LOT of work fedora can be "mostly" stable I consider fedora as a good choice for the person WHO LIKES TO TINKER and fix things, and wants to do so. OpenSUSE 11.3 so far has been VERY stable for me .I have not had any problems with it yet . so you might want to look into that distro. Arch Linux ?? well READ THERE WEB SITE WIKI !!!!!! and decide for your self. I like it but ....
    Link to this post 25 Dec 10

if you want "stable " then you can not beat CentOS ( the free version of Red Hat RHEL )

the programs in it are a bit on the older side but in 5 years of use I have had only ONE 1 crash , and that was 100% MY fault .
    fedora ????? yes and no
    it is a VERY fast and VERY NEW "cutting edge" distro and can be VERY unstable . crashing 2 times a week or so on average . But with A LOT of care and a LOT of work fedora can be "mostly" stable

I consider fedora as a good choice for the person WHO LIKES TO TINKER and fix things, and wants to do so.

OpenSUSE 11.3 so far has been VERY stable for me .I have not had any problems with it yet .

so you might want to look into that distro.

Arch Linux ?? well READ THERE WEB SITE WIKI !!!!!!
    and decide for your self. I like it but ....

• JohnVV
    RE: help me
    a bit late , but ... also Please PAY red hat for the updates ( buy a license and access to RHN ) RHEL5.5 is NOT FREE
    Link to this post 18 Jul 10

a bit late , but ...

also Please PAY red hat for the updates ( buy a license and access to RHN )
    RHEL5.5 is NOT FREE

• JohnVV
    RE: What Distro is Google using?
    [quote] mostly for image designing,[/quote] G'mic( formerly GREYCstoration) runs just fine on Arch and Fedora for PDE denoising i use it all the time

mostly for image designing,

G'mic( formerly GREYCstoration) runs just fine on Arch and Fedora for PDE denoising
    i use it all the time

• JohnVV
    RE: video editing
    what distro are you using ? most have one or two of the basic video editors in there packages search your package manager for " video" cinella nice BUT a pain to learn and is not a "basic" easy to use program avidemux should be in your repos

what distro are you using ?
    most have one or two of the basic video editors in there packages
    search your package manager for " video"
    cinella nice BUT a pain to learn and is not a "basic" easy to use program

avidemux should be in your repos

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board