• Last Logged In: 16 Aug 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • GrouchoMarxist
    RE: Gnome3 on Squeeze
    [b]Goineasy9 wrote:[/b] [quote]I'm not running squeeze at the moment so I can't give you any help with your exact question, but, there are a few problems that I can see. Gnome3 requires modern graphics drivers to work properly. I don’t know if squeeze is advanced enough to run these. I ran Gnome3 on fedora 15 for about a month, this is what I learned. ATI and Nvidia proprietary drivers don’t do well with Gnome3. The open source drivers are what’s needed. Unless squeeze contains the most recent version of nouveau and radion drivers and the most recent Xorg, Gnome3 won't perform well. If you have an older video card or the drivers aren't the most recent, Gnome3 will go into a fallback mode, which is just a stripped down version of Gnome2. One would think you would need to be running testing (wheezy) or Sid to get a functioning Gnome3 at the moment. Unless someone at Debian has created a backport that will update all the needed parts of the graphics system to allow it to run Gnome3 properly. If there are any squeeze users reading this, please, correct me if I'm wrong.[/quote] I'm running Squeeze at the moment. To prevent myself from accidentally destroying my system should [Shift] hit the fan, I will be creating a virtual Squeeze installation in VirtualBox OSE running GNOME 3. I'll post my results ASAP.
    Link to this post 26 May 11

Goineasy9 wrote:

I'm not running squeeze at the moment so I can't give you any help with your exact question, but, there are a few problems that I can see. Gnome3 requires modern graphics drivers to work properly. I don’t know if squeeze is advanced enough to run these.
    I ran Gnome3 on fedora 15 for about a month, this is what I learned. ATI and Nvidia proprietary drivers don’t do well with Gnome3. The open source drivers are what’s needed. Unless squeeze contains the most recent version of nouveau and radion drivers and the most recent Xorg, Gnome3 won't perform well. If you have an older video card or the drivers aren't the most recent, Gnome3 will go into a fallback mode, which is just a stripped down version of Gnome2.
    One would think you would need to be running testing (wheezy) or Sid to get a functioning Gnome3 at the moment. Unless someone at Debian has created a backport that will update all the needed parts of the graphics system to allow it to run Gnome3 properly.

If there are any squeeze users reading this, please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm running Squeeze at the moment. To prevent myself from accidentally destroying my system should [Shift] hit the fan, I will be creating a virtual Squeeze installation in VirtualBox OSE running GNOME 3. I'll post my results ASAP.

• GrouchoMarxist
    Video Tag Editor/ Tagging DVD Rips in VLC?
    First of all, I would like to make something clear regarding the DVD rips I am asking about. The content being ripped from the discs is legal in accordance with US law, including the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Furthermore, I have received permission from the copyright holder to rip his work. Is there a way in VLC Player under Tools//Media Information (CTRL + I ) to write video tags before convert/saving from the source DVD? I would like the output file to read the name of the program, airdate and copyright information.
    Link to this post 01 May 11

First of all, I would like to make something clear regarding the DVD rips I am asking about. The content being ripped from the discs is legal in accordance with US law, including the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Furthermore, I have received permission from the copyright holder to rip his work.

Is there a way in VLC Player under Tools//Media Information (CTRL + I ) to write video tags before convert/saving from the source DVD? I would like the output file to read the name of the program, airdate and copyright information.

• GrouchoMarxist
    RE: Best Linux-based eBook Reader
    [b]marc wrote:[/b] [quote] Anyway, don't expect any ebook reader good for reading pdf papers or long documentation, the screen is just way too slow for that (technology limitations, ya know). [/quote] That makes sense. Should I wait until the [url=http://wetab.mobi/en]WeTab[/url] is released in the United States so I can support a FOSS platform and read my texts? [b]marc wrote:[/b] [quote] I must say though that I'm not buying any book in Amazon as they come with DRM. You can use Calibre for converting ebooks and managing your collection :D [/quote] I agree; Calibre is a refreshingly robust GUI management system for e-books. DRM-books are the main reason why I will not switch entirely to digital; what would be the point of doing so if I can still purchase and resell printed books legally?
    Link to this post 26 Apr 11

marc wrote:

Anyway, don't expect any ebook reader good for reading pdf papers or long documentation, the screen is just way too slow for that (technology limitations, ya know).

That makes sense. Should I wait until the WeTab is released in the United States so I can support a FOSS platform and read my texts?

marc wrote:

I must say though that I'm not buying any book in Amazon as they come with DRM. You can use Calibre for converting ebooks and managing your collection :D

I agree; Calibre is a refreshingly robust GUI management system for e-books. DRM-books are the main reason why I will not switch entirely to digital; what would be the point of doing so if I can still purchase and resell printed books legally?

• GrouchoMarxist
    Best Linux-based eBook Reader
    Recently, I have received several non-DRM O'Reilly Media eBooks from family members for my birthday. While I can read them on my laptop screen, there are times when I would appreciate the ability to read my manuals and reference texts in a more portable fashion. Can anyone here recommend a resilient, Linux-based eBook reader for viewing ePub and PDF texts?
    Link to this post 22 Apr 11

Recently, I have received several non-DRM O'Reilly Media eBooks from family members for my birthday. While I can read them on my laptop screen, there are times when I would appreciate the ability to read my manuals and reference texts in a more portable fashion. Can anyone here recommend a resilient, Linux-based eBook reader for viewing ePub and PDF texts?

• GrouchoMarxist
    RE: "Cups-Insecure-Filter" on HP DeskJet F4400 Series
    [b]Goineasy9 wrote:[/b] [quote]I would try removing the printer and setting it up again using the Ubuntu printer setup. If that doesn't work, try accessing cups by typing into the url field in a browser, [url]http://localhost:631[/url]. It will ask you to login as root before you can do any administrative tasks, so the part of the setup that needs to be owned by root, will be owned by root.[/quote] I deleted the printer, added it via CUPS with the link you provided and now it works perfectly. Thank you very much for the help! :)
    Link to this post 19 Apr 11

Goineasy9 wrote:

I would try removing the printer and setting it up again using the Ubuntu printer setup. If that doesn't work, try accessing cups by typing into the url field in a browser, http://localhost:631. It will ask you to login as root before you can do any administrative tasks, so the part of the setup that needs to be owned by root, will be owned by root.

I deleted the printer, added it via CUPS with the link you provided and now it works perfectly.

Thank you very much for the help! :)

• GrouchoMarxist
    "Cups-Insecure-Filter" on HP DeskJet F4400 Series
    I have installed my HP Deskjet F4400 All-in-One printer within Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora. Today, I have received the following error (I have posted a screen grab as well): [quote]Filter "/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip" for printer "HP-Deskjet-F4400-series" not owned by root[/quote] My attempts to follow Ubuntu-based instructions from Ubuntu Forums (e.g. chown root:root for /usr/lib) resulted in my inability to connect wirelessly, change CPU frequency and shutdown via a GUI. Would anyone here be so kind as to assist me in alleviating my system of its current printing problems? [img size=438]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Screenshot-788994d1bed9391679bad8661f0c1dcb.png[/img]
    Link to this post 18 Apr 11

I have installed my HP Deskjet F4400 All-in-One printer within Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora. Today, I have received the following error (I have posted a screen grab as well):

Filter "/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip" for printer "HP-Deskjet-F4400-series" not owned by root

My attempts to follow Ubuntu-based instructions from Ubuntu Forums (e.g. chown root:root for /usr/lib) resulted in my inability to connect wirelessly, change CPU frequency and shutdown via a GUI.

Would anyone here be so kind as to assist me in alleviating my system of its current printing problems?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board