• Last Logged In: 09 Mar 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • technocp
    What command is invoked when we press Ctrl + R
    In Ubuntu we oftenly use ctrl+R to reload our desktop or nautilus file manager. it finally reloads all icons. Now the question is which command is invoked when we are pressing ctrl + R See I am actually trying to refresh my desktop using refresh option in context menu. please don't laugh but I have managed to bring refresh command in context menu using nautilus-actions but I am still not able to relate appropriate command to the menu item. the solution will be highly appreciated
    Link to this post 10 Mar 11

In Ubuntu we oftenly use ctrl+R to reload our desktop or nautilus file manager. it finally reloads all icons.

Now the question is which command is invoked when we are pressing ctrl + R

See I am actually trying to refresh my desktop using refresh option in context menu. please don't laugh but I have managed to bring refresh command in context menu using nautilus-actions but I am still not able to relate appropriate command to the menu item.

the solution will be highly appreciated

• technocp
    Updating Karma
    Dear Moderators, I was going thru some of the posts in Getting Started with Linux" Section I clicked on applaud to update the karma of one person and then when I did it to update the karma of another good reply I was told that I could update only one karma in every 6 hours. I have a suggestion here : you can keep this policy for un-registered user (if you are allowing unregistered users to update karma ofcourse) But in case of registered users you can have a different policy like every registered user can update as many karma as they want but they cannot repeat it on a same reply. Because a person like me is able to see the forum once in a 6-7 days. Please think it over and also reply if there is any loop in the suggestion made. Thanks & Regards Chaitanya Parekh Enjay - Bhilad
    Link to this post 09 Mar 11

Dear Moderators,

I was going thru some of the posts in Getting Started with Linux" Section

I clicked on applaud to update the karma of one person and then when I did it to update the karma of another good reply I was told that I could update only one karma in every 6 hours.

I have a suggestion here :

you can keep this policy for un-registered user (if you are allowing unregistered users to update karma ofcourse)

But in case of registered users you can have a different policy like every registered user can update as many karma as they want but they cannot repeat it on a same reply.

Because a person like me is able to see the forum once in a 6-7 days.

Please think it over and also reply if there is any loop in the suggestion made.

Thanks & Regards
    Chaitanya Parekh
    Enjay - Bhilad

• technocp
    RE: Learning Linux and Linux careers
    [b]estevancarlos wrote:[/b] [quote]Hi everyone, I'm new. I know very little about Linux but I'm actually here to ask some questions for a friend. She's seeking a dramatic career change and wants to start learning Linux (she has no programming experience). She abandoned Windows during the dark ages of IE6 and has been using Linux since. Originally just for the sake of having a functional OS she's now interested in potentially going more into Linux and I'm trying to do research to understand what career opportunities are out there, Linux related. I'm a front-end developer myself (html, css, js, etc). As far as I can tell Linux is often dealt with in terms of server management. Can anyone shed some more light on the subject? Thanks in advance.[/quote] As you said she has been working on Linux what is the type of know how she has. I mean is she a Desktop application type of user or she is interested in programming on Linux or she is interested in system administration stuff. There are many enterprises in India who are using Linux on desktops so there are bright chances of getting a job for Desktop Application user as well but more of the probablities are with Linux Administration and Programming. Do write more on the topic.

estevancarlos wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm new. I know very little about Linux but I'm actually here to ask some questions for a friend. She's seeking a dramatic career change and wants to start learning Linux (she has no programming experience). She abandoned Windows during the dark ages of IE6 and has been using Linux since. Originally just for the sake of having a functional OS she's now interested in potentially going more into Linux and I'm trying to do research to understand what career opportunities are out there, Linux related.

I'm a front-end developer myself (html, css, js, etc). As far as I can tell Linux is often dealt with in terms of server management. Can anyone shed some more light on the subject? Thanks in advance.

As you said she has been working on Linux what is the type of know how she has. I mean is she a Desktop application type of user or she is interested in programming on Linux or she is interested in system administration stuff.

There are many enterprises in India who are using Linux on desktops so there are bright chances of getting a job for Desktop Application user as well but more of the probablities are with Linux Administration and Programming. Do write more on the topic.

• technocp
    RE: Wireless Card on Old Laptop
    Please your hardware information. also let us know about the version of Xubuntu that you are trying to install. once you get to boot your system with Live CD or USB you can check whether your wireless operates or not. You can try lspci once you get to boot it to identify which wireless make you are using. Below is the location from where you can download xubuntu 10.10 Live CD http://www.xubuntu.org/getubuntu#maverick it needs 192 mb of minimum ram in your system to boot with Live CD or Install Xubuntu and it needs atleast 2gb of hard disk space to install. Don't live it just get it done. Post your further replies here

Please your hardware information. also let us know about the version of Xubuntu that you are trying to install. once you get to boot your system with Live CD or USB you can check whether your wireless operates or not.

You can try lspci once you get to boot it to identify which wireless make you are using.

Below is the location from where you can download xubuntu 10.10 Live CD
    http://www.xubuntu.org/getubuntu#maverick

it needs 192 mb of minimum ram in your system to boot with Live CD or Install Xubuntu and it needs atleast 2gb of hard disk space to install.

Don't live it just get it done. Post your further replies here

• technocp
    RE: installing drivers in linux ubuntu
    What are these drivers for ? What is your purpose. Please explain in details. Maybe we have some other way round than the way you have thought.

What are these drivers for ? What is your purpose. Please explain in details. Maybe we have some other way round than the way you have thought.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board