• Last Logged In: 01 Sep 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • sjremya
    want to run /etc/rc.d/rc.local in system boot time
    [color=#0000FF]Hi all I would like to [b]mount NFS file[/b] system in the kernel boot up time. ( soon after finishing booting). I have added the mount command in the file[b] /etc/rc.d/rc.local[/b] as follows [b]mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.174.134:/nfs/test_nfs/ /mnt [/b]and its mounting success fully when i run[b] rc.local[/b] file manually inthe command prompt as follows [b] /etc/rc.d/rc.local & [/b] But I need to[b] run rc.local automatically [/b]in the system start up time so that I can run all applications automatically. Where to add this rc.local file , to make it's start automatic. Please help me out to solve it. Thanks in advance SJR[i][/i][i][/i][/color]
    Link to this post 31 Aug 10

Hi all

I would like to mount NFS file system in the kernel boot up time. ( soon after finishing booting). I have added the mount command in the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local as follows

mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.174.134:/nfs/test_nfs/ /mnt and its mounting success fully when i run rc.local file manually inthe command prompt as follows

/etc/rc.d/rc.local &

But I need to run rc.local automatically in the system start up time so that I can run all applications automatically.

Where to add this rc.local file , to make it's start automatic.

Please help me out to solve it.

Thanks in advance
    SJR

• sjremya
    "No space left on device" -rootfs image build err
    Hi all With [B]mkimage [/B] tool, I have created an Root FileSystem image from an RFS source of size 174MB. The Image I got has a size of 10 MB approximately. I have used the mentioned script file, to make use of mkimage tool This root FS is for [B]ARM architecture[/B], not for a general PC. So for cross compile purpose, I am using Suse host machine. But it is throwing me an error while doing cp,[B] " No space left on device"[/B]. So I have come to one colclusion that the 10MB is not the actual size of the image. error:- [B]cp: writing `rfs_image_v.4_mount/bin/cp': No space left on device[/B] Please give me advice .. Regards SJR I could create the image, using the following script /************************* RD_DIR=$1 RD_FILE=$2 RD_TEMP_FILE=$RD_FILE"_temp" RD_TEMP_DIR=$RD_FILE"_mount" GZ_FILE=$RD_TEMP_FILE".gz" mkdir $RD_TEMP_DIR #if == input file dd if=/dev/zero of=$RD_TEMP_FILE bs=1024k count=20 /sbin/mke2fs -F -m0 $RD_TEMP_FILE /sbin/tune2fs -c 0 $RD_TEMP_FILE mount $RD_TEMP_FILE $RD_TEMP_DIR -o loop cp -r -d $RD_DIR/* $RD_TEMP_DIR umount $RD_TEMP_DIR gzip $RD_TEMP_FILE mkimage -A arm -T ramdisk -C gzip -n "Ramdisk" -d $GZ_FILE $RD_FILE ******************************/
    Link to this post 26 Aug 10

Hi all

With [B]mkimage [/B] tool, I have created an Root FileSystem image from an RFS source of size 174MB. The Image I got has a size of 10 MB approximately. I have used the mentioned script file, to make use of mkimage tool

This root FS is for [B]ARM architecture[/B], not for a general PC. So for cross compile purpose, I am using Suse host machine.

But it is throwing me an error while doing cp,[B] " No space left on device"[/B]. So I have come to one colclusion that the 10MB is not the actual size of the image.

error:-
    [B]cp: writing `rfs_image_v.4_mount/bin/cp': No space left on device[/B]

Please give me advice ..

Regards
    SJR

I could create the image, using the following script
    /*************************

RD_DIR=$1
    RD_FILE=$2

RD_TEMP_FILE=$RD_FILE"_temp"
    RD_TEMP_DIR=$RD_FILE"_mount"

GZ_FILE=$RD_TEMP_FILE".gz"
    mkdir $RD_TEMP_DIR
    #if == input file
    dd if=/dev/zero of=$RD_TEMP_FILE bs=1024k count=20
    /sbin/mke2fs -F -m0 $RD_TEMP_FILE
    /sbin/tune2fs -c 0 $RD_TEMP_FILE
    mount $RD_TEMP_FILE $RD_TEMP_DIR -o loop
    cp -r -d $RD_DIR/* $RD_TEMP_DIR

umount $RD_TEMP_DIR
    gzip $RD_TEMP_FILE

mkimage -A arm -T ramdisk -C gzip -n "Ramdisk" -d $GZ_FILE $RD_FILE

******************************/

• sjremya
    RE: Problem with ctags in putty( using vim editor)
    [color=#0000FF]Hi all got a solution for this, as follows. Better solutions are welcome always :cheer: -> Give command [b]ctags -R[/b] in the directory which has 'n' number of files,. It will create a tag file with all recurrent occurrence of the sub-routines in the directory. ->Go to any file, place the cursor over any sub-routine, which we r trying to tag, and type ctrl+ ] . It leads you to the occurrence of the subroutine. ->After giving this, if u have to find multiple occurrence of the same subroutine, type [b] esc + : tn or esc + : tnext [/b]. It will go to the next occurrence. This I have tried in putty. But when we use vim editor with other distributors like Cent Os / Fedora , it displays the list of tags when we give ctrl + ] itself. We have a chance to select one among this by giving serial number. You can come back to the start point by giving ctrl +T . Regards SJR [/color]
    Link to this post 19 Aug 10

Hi all

got a solution for this, as follows. Better solutions are welcome always :cheer:

-> Give command ctags -R in the directory which has 'n' number of files,. It will create a tag file with all recurrent occurrence of the sub-routines in the directory.

->Go to any file, place the cursor over any sub-routine, which we r trying to tag, and type ctrl+ ] . It leads you to the occurrence of the subroutine.

->After giving this, if u have to find multiple occurrence of the same subroutine, type esc + : tn or esc + : tnext . It will go to the next occurrence.

This I have tried in putty. But when we use vim editor with other distributors like Cent Os / Fedora , it displays the list of tags when we give ctrl + ] itself. We have a chance to select one among this by giving serial number.

You can come back to the start point by giving ctrl +T .

Regards
    SJR

• sjremya
    Problem with ctags in putty( using vim editor)
    [color=#0000FF] Hi all When I use linux on cent os / fedora , i was able to use[b] ctags -R[/b] to get the list of occurrence of tags . I am able to select the tags by entering the tag number also. But when I use [b]putty and use ctags -R [/b]in that, it displays only one occurrence even though i used -R option . How to get the list of tags in putty by using ctags ?? I am using vim editor. Please help me out Thanks in advance SJR [/color]
    Link to this post 19 Aug 10

Hi all

When I use linux on cent os / fedora , i was able to use ctags -R to get the list of occurrence of tags . I am able to select the tags by entering the tag number also.

But when I use putty and use ctags -R in that, it displays only one occurrence even though i used -R option .

How to get the list of tags in putty by using ctags ?? I am using vim editor.

Please help me out

Thanks in advance

SJR

• sjremya
    implementing device tree concept in ARM linux krnl
    [color=#0000FF] hi all POWERPC linux kernel has a device tree, to configure the external peripherals connected to the processor. It is in the path arch/powerpc/boot/dts/***.dts But [b]ARM linux kerne[/b]l does not have [b]DEVICE TREE[/b]. Then how the external peripherals configuration is implemented in [b]ARM linux kernel[/b] ? And if we need to add a new device, where we need to modify. Any idea ?? Please help me out Thanks in advance SJR [/color]
    Link to this post 18 Aug 10

hi all

POWERPC linux kernel has a device tree, to configure the external peripherals connected to the processor. It is in the path

arch/powerpc/boot/dts/***.dts

But ARM linux kernel does not have DEVICE TREE. Then how the external peripherals configuration is implemented in ARM linux kernel ? And if we need to add a new device, where we need to modify. Any idea ??

Please help me out

Thanks in advance
    SJR

• sjremya
    RE: need to upgrade kernel with driver- ISL1221 RTC
    sure ......... thanks once again .....

sure .........

thanks once again .....

• sjremya
    [color=#0000FF]Hi mfillpot Thanks for the valuable advice :) .......... I have configured my new chip in Kconfig & added it i Makefile too .... Now i am able to create the kernel with the new rtc chip ( which is running with a dummy driver for time being ) . Now I hope, I can go ahead with the driver development. Guide me if I m wrong in any line Regards SJR [/color]

Hi mfillpot

Thanks for the valuable advice :) ..........

I have configured my new chip in Kconfig & added it i Makefile too ....

Now i am able to create the kernel with the new rtc chip ( which is running with a dummy driver for time being ) .

Now I hope, I can go ahead with the driver development.

Guide me if I m wrong in any line

Regards
    SJR

• sjremya
    Need to add new chip support [isl122] in kernel
    [color=#0000FF]Hi all I have to add a new chip support ( ISL 1221 ) in kernel 2.6.20 . Is any body done with the same ???? Please share the info regarding this. I have done the kernel configuration, now i need to start writing driver. How can I go ahead? Could any body help me ? Thanks in advance SJR [/color]

Hi all

I have to add a new chip support ( ISL 1221 ) in kernel 2.6.20 . Is any body done with the same ???? Please share the info regarding this.

I have done the kernel configuration, now i need to start writing driver.

How can I go ahead? Could any body help me ?

Thanks in advance
    SJR

• sjremya
    yes ... i have changed the configuration file for rtc drivers ............... do u have some thing more to share regarding this ??
    Link to this post 17 Aug 10

yes ... i have changed the configuration file for rtc drivers ...............

do u have some thing more to share regarding this ??

• sjremya
    [color=#0000FF]thanks for the reply I could find a solution for this .... I have added the new RTC configuration in /linux/drivers/rtc/Kconfig as shown below, and now i am able to configure the kernel with the new chip ISL 1221 < config RTC_DRV_ISL1221 tristate "Intersil 1221" depends on RTC_CLASS && I2C help If you say yes here you get support for the Intersil 1221 RTC chip. This driver can also be built as a module. If so, the module will be called rtc-isl1221. > Hope now i can go ahead with the driver developement for RTC ISL 1221 Please correct me if I m doing any thing wrong .... thanks in advance SJR [/color]
    Link to this post 17 Aug 10

thanks for the reply

I could find a solution for this ....

I have added the new RTC configuration in /linux/drivers/rtc/Kconfig as shown below, and now i am able to configure the kernel with the new chip ISL 1221

<
    config RTC_DRV_ISL1221
    tristate "Intersil 1221"
    depends on RTC_CLASS && I2C
    help
    If you say yes here you get support for the
    Intersil 1221 RTC chip.
    This driver can also be built as a module. If so, the module
    will be called rtc-isl1221.
    >

Hope now i can go ahead with the driver developement for RTC ISL 1221
    Please correct me if I m doing any thing wrong ....

thanks in advance

SJR

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board