• Last Logged In: 4 hours ago

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Khabi
    How is kernel formed?
    How is kernel formed? How code get bzimaged? We need do way instain codders> who kill thier kernels. because these kernels cant frigth back? It was on the news this mroing a codder in ar had kill her three procs. they are taking the three kernel back to new york too lady to rest my pary are with the devs who lost his chrilden procs. i am truley sorry for your lots.
    Link to this post 27 Aug 09

How is kernel formed?
    How code get bzimaged?

We need do way instain codders> who kill thier kernels. because these kernels cant frigth back?

It was on the news this mroing a codder in ar had kill her three procs. they are taking the three kernel back to new york too lady to rest my pary are with the devs who lost his chrilden procs. i am truley sorry for your lots.

• Khabi
    RE: Best DE for a dual monitor setup
    I agree with with buying a cheap nvidia card to do it. I've never had very good luck doing anything with the intel ones. I personally use a laptop with two screen attached via the onboard nvidia , running fluxbox, and it works great.
    Link to this post 16 May 09

I agree with with buying a cheap nvidia card to do it. I've never had very good luck doing anything with the intel ones.

I personally use a laptop with two screen attached via the onboard nvidia , running fluxbox, and it works great.

• Khabi
    RE: Good watchdog for services?
    ah Novell, I should have guessed :)
    Link to this post 24 Apr 09

ah Novell, I should have guessed :)

• Khabi
    RE: Linux Desktop Wishlist
    [b]jdeslip wrote:[/b] [quote][b]Khabi wrote:[/b] [quote]Direct3D support is actually being worked on in VirtualBox already (I believe it might actually be in the dev repository for it if you feel lucky). From my understanding they're wrapping the Direct3D stuff in OpenGL using a few dll files (I think this is how WINE does it too). So you would just have to install a few dlls in your windows virtual host and off you go. Its not official, but I'm willing to bet sometime soon it will be in VirtualBox driver install package for your virtual host.[/quote] Is this the way VMWare does it? I am worried about robust the mapping of direct3d to opengl is. We all that lots of windows games don't work in wine for example. VMWare's implementation seems pretty robust, though.[/quote] I actually *think* (I can't find evidence of this however, but its the buzz on the internet) that is how vmware does it. I can see how its easier. You know what calls OpenGL will make since its an open standard. You write for that, then try to match up rendering functions on the host so you only have on API to code for. I'm sure there will probably be some graphical hiccups because of things D3D supports that OpenGL might not yet, but over time it should work its way out.
    Link to this post 23 Apr 09

jdeslip wrote:

[b]Khabi wrote:[/b]
    [quote]Direct3D support is actually being worked on in VirtualBox already (I believe it might actually be in the dev repository for it if you feel lucky). From my understanding they're wrapping the Direct3D stuff in OpenGL using a few dll files (I think this is how WINE does it too). So you would just have to install a few dlls in your windows virtual host and off you go.

Its not official, but I'm willing to bet sometime soon it will be in VirtualBox driver install package for your virtual host.

Is this the way VMWare does it? I am worried about robust the mapping of direct3d to opengl is. We all that lots of windows games don't work in wine for example. VMWare's implementation seems pretty robust, though.[/quote]

I actually *think* (I can't find evidence of this however, but its the buzz on the internet) that is how vmware does it.

I can see how its easier. You know what calls OpenGL will make since its an open standard. You write for that, then try to match up rendering functions on the host so you only have on API to code for. I'm sure there will probably be some graphical hiccups because of things D3D supports that OpenGL might not yet, but over time it should work its way out.

• Khabi
    RE: Linux Desktop Wishlist
    Direct3D support is actually being worked on in VirtualBox already (I believe it might actually be in the dev repository for it if you feel lucky). From my understanding they're wrapping the Direct3D stuff in OpenGL using a few dll files (I think this is how WINE does it too). So you would just have to install a few dlls in your windows virtual host and off you go. Its not official, but I'm willing to bet sometime soon it will be in VirtualBox driver install package for your virtual host.
    Link to this post 22 Apr 09

Direct3D support is actually being worked on in VirtualBox already (I believe it might actually be in the dev repository for it if you feel lucky). From my understanding they're wrapping the Direct3D stuff in OpenGL using a few dll files (I think this is how WINE does it too). So you would just have to install a few dlls in your windows virtual host and off you go.

Its not official, but I'm willing to bet sometime soon it will be in VirtualBox driver install package for your virtual host.

• Khabi
    RE: Good watchdog for services?
    I'm kindof interested in what kind of apps you are running that need to be constantly restarted? I've done the same type of thing to restart dead services as a 'quick fix', but I would think the best course is to fix whatever is causing the application to restart. :)
    Link to this post 22 Apr 09

I'm kindof interested in what kind of apps you are running that need to be constantly restarted? I've done the same type of thing to restart dead services as a 'quick fix', but I would think the best course is to fix whatever is causing the application to restart. :)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board