• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 08 Sep 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • GreeGTheGeek
    Looking for a soft that display... (suprise... )
    Hello dear community, I am about to build an HTPC (old shuttle XPC SS51G) and I would like to have à Display Manager (or any Xorg apps) that display a sort of menu as the DM of windows :-]: showing nice icons and when you click on it you are launched to windows desktop (without typing password). Not forced to be a DM, I assumed that a soft or python script could display such a menu (even if I have to configured an autologin user before, i'm ok with that, it's just that the windows DM is functionnaly close to what i want and helpful to explain my ideas ^^). What I would like, in a full screen mode, is a click and launch panel (don't want to take a wireless keyboard and type password): Icons 'Internet' --> 'click!' --> launch X11 and lightweight full flash supported browser. Icons 'XMBC' --> 'click!' --> launch X11 and XBMC. Icons 'MythTv' --> 'click!' --> launch X11 and mythtv frontend (not sure if I want it, since i know that there is a front end for mythtv in XBMC, and I have not yet my DVB-T card ^^). Icons 'Admin' --> 'click!' --> Launch a desktop or console. Note that an old ATI remote Wonder (first one) would be plugged, and remember that is an HTPC :) . If you know such DM or apps (one more time: I assume that a user must have been configured in autologin in this other solution), be kind: tell me please! Thks, Greeg
    Link to this post 08 Sep 10

Hello dear community,

I am about to build an HTPC (old shuttle XPC SS51G) and I would like to have à Display Manager (or any Xorg apps) that display a sort of menu as the DM of windows :-]: showing nice icons and when you click on it you are launched to windows desktop (without typing password).

Not forced to be a DM, I assumed that a soft or python script could display such a menu (even if I have to configured an autologin user before, i'm ok with that, it's just that the windows DM is functionnaly close to what i want and helpful to explain my ideas ^^).

What I would like, in a full screen mode, is a click and launch panel (don't want to take a wireless keyboard and type password):

Icons 'Internet' --> 'click!' --> launch X11 and lightweight full flash supported browser.
    Icons 'XMBC' --> 'click!' --> launch X11 and XBMC.
    Icons 'MythTv' --> 'click!' --> launch X11 and mythtv frontend (not sure if I want it, since i know that there is a front end for mythtv in XBMC, and I have not yet my DVB-T card ^^).
    Icons 'Admin' --> 'click!' --> Launch a desktop or console.

Note that an old ATI remote Wonder (first one) would be plugged, and remember that is an HTPC :) .

If you know such DM or apps (one more time: I assume that a user must have been configured in autologin in this other solution), be kind: tell me please!

Thks,
    Greeg

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board