• Last Logged In: 18 Oct 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Scifer
    Sequential thumbnail generation on mplayer
    It's possible to generate sequential thumbnails like Media Player Classic directly in mplayer: [code]mplayer -benchmark -nosound -quiet -zoom -vf scale=420:-3,tile=5:8 -vo jpeg:outdir=. -sstep 60 file.avi[/code] BUT. How to place the upper bar with video information like filename, duration, resolution, aspect ratio, audio and etc?
    Link to this post 17 Oct 10

It's possible to generate sequential thumbnails like Media Player Classic directly in mplayer:

mplayer -benchmark -nosound -quiet -zoom -vf scale=420:-3,tile=5:8 -vo jpeg:outdir=. -sstep 60 file.avi

BUT. How to place the upper bar with video information like filename, duration, resolution, aspect ratio, audio and etc?

• Scifer
    The best open 3D game engines
    I'd like to know what are the best open 3D game engines.
    Link to this post 20 Sep 10

I'd like to know what are the best open 3D game engines.

• Scifer
    RE: Why to concatenate into tarballs when compressing?
    [b]woboyle wrote:[/b] [quote]When you "concatenate" a set of files into a tarball, you get all the substructure when you expand the tarball at a later time, including symbolic links.[/quote] What are the other features of this substructure?
    Link to this post 18 Sep 10

woboyle wrote:

When you "concatenate" a set of files into a tarball, you get all the substructure when you expand the tarball at a later time, including symbolic links.

What are the other features of this substructure?

• Scifer
    Why to concatenate into tarballs when compressing?
    I couldn't find the exact reasons for concatenate files into a tarball while compressing. Could it be speed, redundancy or just for the sake of sequential I/O devices? I'd like to know if the other programs like zip, rar and 7zip do the same process silently. And what would be the consequences for compressing with gz and bz2 without concatenating, if it's possible.
    Link to this post 15 Sep 10

I couldn't find the exact reasons for concatenate files into a tarball while compressing. Could it be speed, redundancy or just for the sake of sequential I/O devices? I'd like to know if the other programs like zip, rar and 7zip do the same process silently. And what would be the consequences for compressing with gz and bz2 without concatenating, if it's possible.

• Scifer
    RE: GZ or BZ2?
    [b]jabirali wrote:[/b] [quote]the catch is that the [b]rar[/b] format isn't open.[/quote] So it's off my list.
    Link to this post 14 Sep 10

jabirali wrote:

the catch is that the [b]rar[/b] format isn't open.

So it's off my list.

• Scifer
    [b]jabirali wrote:[/b] [quote]What exactly do you refer to when you mention [i]security[/i]? Do you want to password encrypt these archives, or are you looking for a format that is somewhat more resistant to corruption?[/quote] By [b]security[/b] I meant encryption, redundancy and recovery features.

jabirali wrote:

What exactly do you refer to when you mention [i]security[/i]? Do you want to password encrypt these archives, or are you looking for a format that is somewhat more resistant to corruption?

By security I meant encryption, redundancy and recovery features.

• Scifer
    [b]mfillpot wrote:[/b] [quote]A simple comparison review of linux compression tools is at wj32.wordpress.com/2008/04/27/comparison...ms-on-linux-2625tar/ , you also have xz (tukaani.org/xz/) and 7zip which is not installed in most base installations. [/quote] Your help is greatly appreciated. By what I understood from Tel's comment in wj32 review is that bz2 has a higher compression ratio while gz has higher decompression speed. Which is exactly as I suspected. And considering that both are the most commonly used in linux, I'm picking them as my default compression formats.

mfillpot wrote:

A simple comparison review of linux compression tools is at wj32.wordpress.com/2008/04/27/comparison...ms-on-linux-2625tar/ , you also have xz (tukaani.org/xz/) and 7zip which is not installed in most base installations.

Your help is greatly appreciated. By what I understood from Tel's comment in wj32 review is that bz2 has a higher compression ratio while gz has higher decompression speed. Which is exactly as I suspected. And considering that both are the most commonly used in linux, I'm picking them as my default compression formats.

• Scifer
    GZ or BZ2?
    Hi. I'd like to adopt a default compression algorithm to my files. It has to be the most linux friendly, have the highest compression rate and security. Instantly I thought in tar.gz and tar.bz2. But I don't know their main differences. Witch one should I chose?
    Link to this post 12 Sep 10

Hi. I'd like to adopt a default compression algorithm to my files. It has to be the most linux friendly, have the highest compression rate and security. Instantly I thought in tar.gz and tar.bz2. But I don't know their main differences. Witch one should I chose?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board