• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 16 Jan 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • BlueToast
    RE: Linux on a CF card configured as a "Live CD" to minimize/eliminate writes?
    I would like a persistent image; I want to treat this like a ThinClient/public station. Would like everything to load into RAM like on a Live CD.
    Link to this post 15 Jan 12

I would like a persistent image; I want to treat this like a ThinClient/public station. Would like everything to load into RAM like on a Live CD.

• BlueToast
    How would I go about making it read-only?

How would I go about making it read-only?

• BlueToast
    But how to I configure it with certain applications and settings that I want, and then lock it down as a Live CD so that it stays persistent and cannot be changed without "unlocking" it or something?

But how to I configure it with certain applications and settings that I want, and then lock it down as a Live CD so that it stays persistent and cannot be changed without "unlocking" it or something?

• BlueToast
    Linux on a CF card configured as a "Live CD" to minimize/eliminate writes?
    [b]Subject:[/b] Linux on a CF card configured as a "Live CD" to minimize/eliminate writes? Greetings, I found a [url=http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Connectivity-Compact-Flash-Adapter/dp/B0036DDXUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326208568&sr=8-1]SATA to CF adapter[/url] [img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jHNvv08qL.jpg[/img] [img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410CianSg0L.jpg[/img] I know that CFs wear out more quickly, so this brings me to my question. How would it be possible to setup Linux (like Mint) properly on a CF card for minimal wear and tear? In my mind, I'm kind of thinking of it like a Live CD on the CF card -- but configured with programs I want and particular system settings of my preferences -- how do I do that?

Subject: Linux on a CF card configured as a "Live CD" to minimize/eliminate writes?
    Greetings,

I found a SATA to CF adapter

I know that CFs wear out more quickly, so this brings me to my question. How would it be possible to setup Linux (like Mint) properly on a CF card for minimal wear and tear? In my mind, I'm kind of thinking of it like a Live CD on the CF card -- but configured with programs I want and particular system settings of my preferences -- how do I do that?

• BlueToast
    /etc/network/interfaces, 'broadcast'
    What is the 'broadcast' under an interface (such as eth0)? The example config shows 192.168.1.0 for broadcast. According to a not-as-straight-forward Google search, 'broadcast' is known as the Broadcast ID. What is that? I have two external static IP addresses, and I was able to get all the information I needed (including for 'network'), except for 'broadcast' because the support tech. was not sure what "broadcast ID" is or was (and neither am I). What am I supposed to set it as? Is it a required line? EDIT: Massive fail in another thread. [b]The broadcast is known, but the 'network' isn't.[/b] I am wanting to know what 'network' is, and what the value of it should be.
    Link to this post 08 Jan 11

What is the 'broadcast' under an interface (such as eth0)? The example config shows 192.168.1.0 for broadcast. According to a not-as-straight-forward Google search, 'broadcast' is known as the Broadcast ID.

What is that? I have two external static IP addresses, and I was able to get all the information I needed (including for 'network'), except for 'broadcast' because the support tech. was not sure what "broadcast ID" is or was (and neither am I). What am I supposed to set it as? Is it a required line?

EDIT: Massive fail in another thread.

The broadcast is known, but the 'network' isn't. I am wanting to know what 'network' is, and what the value of it should be.

• BlueToast
    Applying DNS to different subnets
    Dissecting dhcpd.conf. Censored where appropriate (hopefully). Color-coded questions at bottom of post. [url=http://privatepaste.com/f3adea5d8e]*PrivatePaste w/ Indentations here*[/url] [quote][b][color=#FF0000]ddns-update-style interim; ddns-domainname "dyn.company.com."; key DHCP_COMPANY { *omitted* } zone dyn.orderdis.com. { primary XXX.XXX.0.50; key DHCP_COMPANY; } zone XXX.XXX.in-addr.arpa. { primary XXX.XXX.0.50; key DHCP_COMPANY; }[/color] [color=#800080]authoritative; ddns-update-style interim; deny duplicates; authoritative;[/color] [color=#A7A7A7]default-lease-time 345600; max-lease-time 691200;[/color] [color=#0000FF]option domain-name-servers XXX.XXX.0.50,XXX.XXX.255.250; option netbios-name-servers XXX.XXX.0.50; subnet XXX.XXX.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 {[/color] [color=#A7A7A7] one-lease-per-client on; option broadcast-address XXX.XXX.255.255; option domain-name "dyn.company.com"; option netbios-name-servers XXX.XXX.255.254; option netbios-name-servers XXX.XXX.0.50; option netbios-node-type 8; option routers XXX.XXX.255.1; option subnet-mask 255.0.0.0; update-optimization on; update-static-leases on;[/color] [color=#008000] class "Sayson480i" { match if (substring(hardware,1,3) = 00:08:5d); } class "etherboot-an983" { match if (substring(hardware,1,3) = 00:04:e2); next-server XXX.XXX.255.254; filename "nbi-2.6.0-thin1"; option root-path "/nfs/thin3"; } class "etherboot-3c59x" { match if (substring(hardware,1,3) = 00:01:02); if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient" { next-server XXX.XXX.255.254; filename "eb-5.2.2-3c905c-tpo.zpxe"; } else if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEclient" { next-server XXX.XXX.255.254; filename "eb-5.2.2-3c905c-tpo.zpxe"; } else if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "Etherboot" { next-server XXX.XXX.255.254; filename "nbi-2.6.0-thin1"; option vendor-encapsulated-options 3c:09:45:74:68:65:72:62:6f:6f:74:ff; } else { next-server XXX.XXX.255.254; option root-path "/nfs/thin2"; } }[/color] [color=#825900]pool { range XXX.XXX.2.0 XXX.XXX.2.254; option domain-name-servers 208.67.222.123,208.67.220.123; allow members of "etherboot-an983"; allow members of "etherboot-3c59x"; } pool { range XXX.XXX.3.0 XXX.XXX.3.254; option domain-name-servers 208.67.222.123,208.67.220.123; allow members of "Sayson480i"; } pool { range XXX.XXX.0.50 XXX.XXX.0.254; option domain-name-servers 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4; deny unknown clients; } pool { range XXX.XXX.1.50 XXX.XXX.1.112; option domain-name-servers 208.67.222.123,208.67.220.123; allow unknown clients; }[/color] [color=#A7A7A7]}[/color] [color=#000080]subnet 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 { }[/color] [color=#A7A7A7]host XXXXX1 { hardware ethernet XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX; option domain-name "company.com"; fixed-address XXX.XXX.0.45; } host XXXXX2 { hardware ethernet XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX; option domain-name "company.com"; fixed-address XXX.XXX.1.45; } host XXXXX3 { hardware ethernet XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX; option domain-name "company.com"; fixed-address XXX.XXX.2.45; } host XXXXX4 { hardware ethernet XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX; option domain-name "company.com"; fixed-address XXX.XXX.255.45; }[/color][/b][/quote] [color=#FF0000]1) What is this? What is it for and do?[/color] [color=#800080]2) What is this? What is it for and do?[/color] [color=#0000FF]3) Paying more attention to domain-name-servers, but what does this mean? Does it mean it applies to *EVERYTHING* -- literally all subnets and pools specified in this file?[/color] [color=#008000]4) And what is this? :?[/color] [color=#825900]5) I think here it gets specific about different subnets or ranges. Can I specify domain-name-servers for each range like I did here? Or would that be an invalid move? If it is a valid move, then it should do something like this (as far as applying DNS to specified range): * Apply DNS 208.67.222.123 and DNS 208.67.220.123 to XXX.XXX.2.0 through XXX.XXX.2.254, to XXX.XXX.3.0 through XXX.XXX.3.254, to XXX.XXX.1.50 through XXX.XXX.1.112 * Apply DNS 8.8.8.8 and DNS 8.8.4.4 to XXX.XXX.0.50 through XXX.XXX.0.254 Is this correct? :([/color] [color=#000080]6) What is this little piece?[/color]
    Link to this post 28 Dec 10

Dissecting dhcpd.conf. Censored where appropriate (hopefully). Color-coded questions at bottom of post.

*PrivatePaste w/ Indentations here*

[b][color=#FF0000]ddns-update-style interim;
    ddns-domainname "dyn.company.com.";

key DHCP_COMPANY {
    *omitted*
    }

zone dyn.orderdis.com. {
    primary XXX.XXX.0.50;
    key DHCP_COMPANY;
    }
    zone XXX.XXX.in-addr.arpa. {
    primary XXX.XXX.0.50;
    key DHCP_COMPANY;
    }[/color]

[color=#800080]authoritative;
    ddns-update-style interim;
    deny duplicates;
    authoritative;[/color]
    [color=#A7A7A7]default-lease-time 345600;
    max-lease-time 691200;[/color]
    [color=#0000FF]option domain-name-servers XXX.XXX.0.50,XXX.XXX.255.250;
    option netbios-name-servers XXX.XXX.0.50;

subnet XXX.XXX.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 {[/color]
    [color=#A7A7A7] one-lease-per-client on;
    option broadcast-address XXX.XXX.255.255;
    option domain-name "dyn.company.com";
    option netbios-name-servers XXX.XXX.255.254;
    option netbios-name-servers XXX.XXX.0.50;
    option netbios-node-type 8;
    option routers XXX.XXX.255.1;
    option subnet-mask 255.0.0.0;
    update-optimization on;
    update-static-leases on;[/color]
    [color=#008000] class "Sayson480i" {
    match if (substring(hardware,1,3) = 00:08:5d);
    }
    class "etherboot-an983" {
    match if (substring(hardware,1,3) = 00:04:e2);
    next-server XXX.XXX.255.254;
    filename "nbi-2.6.0-thin1";
    option root-path "/nfs/thin3";
    }
    class "etherboot-3c59x" {
    match if (substring(hardware,1,3) = 00:01:02);
    if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient" {
    filename "eb-5.2.2-3c905c-tpo.zpxe";
    } else if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEclient" {
    filename "eb-5.2.2-3c905c-tpo.zpxe";
    } else if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "Etherboot" {
    filename "nbi-2.6.0-thin1";
    option vendor-encapsulated-options 3c:09:45:74:68:65:72:62:6f:6f:74:ff;
    } else {
    option root-path "/nfs/thin2";
    }
    }[/color]
    [color=#825900]pool {
    range XXX.XXX.2.0 XXX.XXX.2.254;
    option domain-name-servers 208.67.222.123,208.67.220.123;
    allow members of "etherboot-an983";
    allow members of "etherboot-3c59x";
    }
    pool {
    range XXX.XXX.3.0 XXX.XXX.3.254;
    allow members of "Sayson480i";
    }
    pool {
    range XXX.XXX.0.50 XXX.XXX.0.254;
    option domain-name-servers 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4;
    deny unknown clients;
    }
    pool {
    range XXX.XXX.1.50 XXX.XXX.1.112;
    allow unknown clients;
    }[/color]
    [color=#A7A7A7]}[/color]
    [color=#000080]subnet 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    }[/color]

[color=#A7A7A7]host XXXXX1 {
    hardware ethernet XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;
    option domain-name "company.com";
    fixed-address XXX.XXX.0.45;
    }
    host XXXXX2 {
    fixed-address XXX.XXX.1.45;
    }
    host XXXXX3 {
    fixed-address XXX.XXX.2.45;
    }
    host XXXXX4 {
    fixed-address XXX.XXX.255.45;
    }[/color][/b]

1) What is this? What is it for and do?

2) What is this? What is it for and do?

3) Paying more attention to domain-name-servers, but what does this mean? Does it mean it applies to *EVERYTHING* -- literally all subnets and pools specified in this file?

4) And what is this? :?

5) I think here it gets specific about different subnets or ranges. Can I specify domain-name-servers for each range like I did here? Or would that be an invalid move?

If it is a valid move, then it should do something like this (as far as applying DNS to specified range):
    * Apply DNS 208.67.222.123 and DNS 208.67.220.123 to XXX.XXX.2.0 through XXX.XXX.2.254, to XXX.XXX.3.0 through XXX.XXX.3.254, to XXX.XXX.1.50 through XXX.XXX.1.112
    * Apply DNS 8.8.8.8 and DNS 8.8.4.4 to XXX.XXX.0.50 through XXX.XXX.0.254

Is this correct? :(

6) What is this little piece?

• BlueToast
    DHCP Servers
    I am trying to figure out which servers on the network are acting as DHCP servers. Then I would like to stop them from being DHCP servers and have the pfSense server be the DHCP server. All the servers run Linux (Debian I think), and are of course outdated versions. Please help me to do this. What is the first thing I should do and how? EDIT: Nevermind, found out by doing [b]pgrep dhcpd[/b] on all the servers via SSH.
    Link to this post 23 Dec 10

I am trying to figure out which servers on the network are acting as DHCP servers. Then I would like to stop them from being DHCP servers and have the pfSense server be the DHCP server. All the servers run Linux (Debian I think), and are of course outdated versions. Please help me to do this. What is the first thing I should do and how?

EDIT: Nevermind, found out by doing pgrep dhcpd on all the servers via SSH.

• BlueToast
    RE: FreeBSD (pfSense) -- Can't boot after install
    Problem solved! FreeBSD didn't like large capacities for /. [b]Source:[/b] http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036454153&postcount=10 [quote][quote=YeOldeStonecat;1036453932]Using the IDE only....check Burning at slowest....check Hmmm....can you go into the BIOS and disable the onboard SATA ports? Just to ensure that they're out of the way?[/quote]They are disabled. :p Everything below are BIOS defaults unless otherwise stated. [list] [*]Advanced [list] [*]CPU Configuration [list] [*]Ratio CMOS Settings: 255 [*]HyperThreading: Enabled [/list] [*]IDE Configuration [list] [*]IDE Legacy COnfiguration: P-ATA Only [*]S-ATA Running Enhanced Mode: [b]No (default is Yes)[/b] [*]P-ATA Channel Selection: Both [*]Only if S-ATA Running Enhanced Mode is not [i]No[/i] -- S-ATA Ports Definition: P0-3rd./P1-4th. [*]Only if S-ATA Running Enhanced Mode is not [i]No[/i] -- Configure S-ATA as RAID: No [*]Channel 0 Master: Hard Disk [list] [*]Type: Auto [*]LBA/Large Mode: Auto [*]Block (Multi-Sector Transfer): Auto [*]PIO Mode: Auto [*]DMA Mode: Auto [*]S.M.A.R.T.: Auto [*]32Bit Data Transfer: Disabled [/list] [*]Channel 1 Slave: ATAPI CDROM [list] [*]Type: Auto [*]PIO Mode: Auto [*]DMA Mode: Auto [/list] [*]Hard Disk Write Protect: Disabled [*]IDE Detect Time Out (sec): [b]15 (default is 35)[/b] [*]ATA(PI) 80Pin Cable Detection: Host & Device [/list] [*]Floppy Configuration [list] [*]Floppy A: [b]Disabled (default is 1.44 MB 31/2")[/b] [*]Floppy B: Disabled [/list] [*]SuperIO Configuration [list] [*]OnBoard Floppy Controller: [b]Disabled (default is Enabled)[/b] [*]Serial Port1 Address: [b]Disabled (default is 3F8/IRQ4)[/b] [*]Serial Port2 Address: [b]Disabled (default is 2F8/IRQ3)[/b] [*]Only if Serial Port2 Address is not [i]Disabled[/i] -- Serial Port2 Mode: Normal [*]Parallel Port Address: Disabled (default is) [/list] [*]ACPI Configuration [list] [*]ACPI Aware O/S: Yes [*]Advanced ACPI Configuration [list] [*]ACPI 2.0 Features: [b]Yes (default is No)[/b] [*]ACPI APIC support: Enabled [*]AMI OEMB table: Enabled [*]Headless mode: Disabled [/list] [*]WOL S4&S5 Support: Enabled [*]Power Button Instant Off: [b]Disabled (default is Enabled)[/b] [*]After Power Failure: Always Off [/list] [*]Event Log Configuration [*]Remote Access Configuration [list] [*]Remote Access: [b]Disabled (default is SMDC)[/b] [/list] [*]USB Configuration [list] [*]USB Function: [b]Disabled (default is 4 USB Ports)[/b] [*]Only if USB Function is not [i]Disabled[/i] -- Legacy USB Support: Enabled [*]Only if USB Function is not [i]Disabled[/i] -- USB 2.0 Controller: Enabled [*]Only if USB 2.0 Controller is not [i]Disabled[/i] -- USB 2.0 Controller Mode: HiSpeed [*]USB Mass Storage Device Configuration [list] [*]USB Mass Storage Reset Delay: 20 sec [/list] [/list] [*]OnBoard Devices Configuration [list] [*]Onboard ATI Video: Enabled [*]Onbaord 82551 LAN: Enabled [*]Remote Boot OS by 82551: Disabled [*]Onboard 82546 DualPort LAN: Enabled [*]Remote Boot OS by 82546: Disabled [/list] [*]Hardware Monitor [list] [*]Auto-Control Fan's Speed: Disabled [*]Chassis Instrusion Detect: Disabled [/list] [*]Back Plan Fan Speed [/list] [*]PCIPnP [list] [*]Plug & Play O/S: Yes [*]PCI Latency Timer: 64 [*]Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA: Yes [*]Palette Snooping: Disabled [*]PCI IDE BusMaster: Enabled [*]IRQ3: Available [*]IRQ4: Available [*]IRQ5: Available [*]IRQ7: Available [*]IRQ9: Available [*]IRQ10: Available [*]IRQ11: Available [*]IRQ14: Available [*]IRQ15: Available [*]DMA Channel 0: Available [*]DMA Channel 1: Available [*]DMA Channel 3: Available [*]DMA Channel 5: Available [*]DMA Channel 6: Available [*]DMA Channel 7: Available [*]Reserved Memory Size: Disabled [*]Extended BIOS Data Area: Enabled [/list] [*]Boot [list] [*]Boot Settings Configuration [list] [*]Quick Boot: [b]Enabled (default is Disabled)[/b] [*]Quiet Boot: Disabled [*]AddOn ROM Display Mode: Force BIOS [*]Bootup Num-Lock: On [*]PS/2 Mouse Support: Auto [*]Wait for 'F1' If Error: Enabled [*]Hit 'DEL' Message Display: Enabled [*]Interrupt 19 Capture: Enabled [*]Primary Display Device: Auto [/list] [*]Boot Device Priority [list] [*]1st Boot Device: PM-WDC WD1600AAJB-00J3A0 [*]2nd Boot Device: SS-ATAPI-CD ROM-DRIVE-56MAX [/list] [*]Hard Disk Drives [*]ATAPI CDROM Drives [/list] [*]Security [list] [*]Boot Sector Virus Protection: Disabled [/list] [*]Chipset [list] [*]Intel E7500/E7501 North Bridge Configuration [list] [*]Chipset Memory Remap Feature: Enabled [*]CAS Latency: Auto [/list] [*]South Bridge Configuration [list] [*]MPS Revision: 1.4 [/list] [*]Intel PCI-64 Hub 2 Configuration [list] [*]PCI Bus Frequency: Auto [/list] [*]Clock Gen. Spread Spectrum: Disabled [/list] [/list] Now, before I wrote this up and was actually preparing to write this up, I attempted to install pfSense through Advanced/Expert installation. Through this, I formatted and partitioned the harddisk, and set [b]/ to be 1024M[/b] and [b]swap to be 8192M[/b] (this I did differently from all other installs, although I have tried partitioning the harddisk as 16GB before but without changing these values for [b]/[/b] and [b]swap[/b] here). This time it actually [b][u]fully successfully booted[/u][/b] into pfSense without a problem. I am going to try this again but [b]partitioned to 100%[/b] (it worked like this in previous paragraph) with [b]16GB on /[/b] instead of 1GB, and [b]8GB on swap[/b]. I am also going to enable [i]32Bit Data Transfer[/i] on the harddrive. (EDIT: Added a third one as [b]storage to be * (remaining capacity of primary partition)[/b].) [b][u][color=#2DFF10]Success[/color][/u][/b]. [b]Trial 2:[/b] partitioned 100%, / to be 32GB, swap to be 8GB, storage to be *, BIOS settings unchanged from first trial... [b][u][color=#2DFF10]Success[/color][/u][/b] [b]Trial 3:[/b] partitioned 100%, / to be 64GB, swap to be 8GB, storage to be *... [b][u][color=#FF000A]Failure[/color][/u][/b] FreeBSD must have a thing about large capacities.[/quote]
    Link to this post 20 Nov 10

Problem solved! FreeBSD didn't like large capacities for /.

Source: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036454153&postcount=10

[quote=YeOldeStonecat;1036453932]Using the IDE only....check
    Burning at slowest....check

Hmmm....can you go into the BIOS and disable the onboard SATA ports? Just to ensure that they're out of the way?
    They are disabled. :p

Everything below are BIOS defaults unless otherwise stated.

• Advanced

• CPU Configuration

• Ratio CMOS Settings: 255

• HyperThreading: Enabled

• IDE Configuration

• IDE Legacy COnfiguration: P-ATA Only

• S-ATA Running Enhanced Mode: No (default is Yes)

• P-ATA Channel Selection: Both

• Only if S-ATA Running Enhanced Mode is not No -- S-ATA Ports Definition: P0-3rd./P1-4th.

• Only if S-ATA Running Enhanced Mode is not No -- Configure S-ATA as RAID: No

• Channel 0 Master: Hard Disk

• Type: Auto

• LBA/Large Mode: Auto

• Block (Multi-Sector Transfer): Auto

• PIO Mode: Auto

• DMA Mode: Auto

• S.M.A.R.T.: Auto

• 32Bit Data Transfer: Disabled

• Channel 1 Slave: ATAPI CDROM

• Type: Auto

• PIO Mode: Auto

• DMA Mode: Auto

• Hard Disk Write Protect: Disabled

• IDE Detect Time Out (sec): 15 (default is 35)

• ATA(PI) 80Pin Cable Detection: Host & Device

• Floppy Configuration

• Floppy A: Disabled (default is 1.44 MB 31/2")

• Floppy B: Disabled

• SuperIO Configuration

• OnBoard Floppy Controller: Disabled (default is Enabled)

• Serial Port1 Address: Disabled (default is 3F8/IRQ4)

• Serial Port2 Address: Disabled (default is 2F8/IRQ3)

• Only if Serial Port2 Address is not Disabled -- Serial Port2 Mode: Normal

• Parallel Port Address: Disabled (default is)

• ACPI Configuration

• ACPI Aware O/S: Yes

• Advanced ACPI Configuration

• ACPI 2.0 Features: Yes (default is No)

• ACPI APIC support: Enabled

• AMI OEMB table: Enabled

• Headless mode: Disabled

• WOL S4&S5 Support: Enabled

• Power Button Instant Off: Disabled (default is Enabled)

• After Power Failure: Always Off

• Event Log Configuration

• Remote Access Configuration

• Remote Access: Disabled (default is SMDC)

• USB Configuration

• USB Function: Disabled (default is 4 USB Ports)

• Only if USB Function is not Disabled -- Legacy USB Support: Enabled

• Only if USB Function is not Disabled -- USB 2.0 Controller: Enabled

• Only if USB 2.0 Controller is not Disabled -- USB 2.0 Controller Mode: HiSpeed

• USB Mass Storage Device Configuration

• USB Mass Storage Reset Delay: 20 sec

• OnBoard Devices Configuration

• Onboard ATI Video: Enabled

• Onbaord 82551 LAN: Enabled

• Remote Boot OS by 82551: Disabled

• Onboard 82546 DualPort LAN: Enabled

• Remote Boot OS by 82546: Disabled

• Hardware Monitor

• Auto-Control Fan's Speed: Disabled

• Chassis Instrusion Detect: Disabled

• Back Plan Fan Speed

• PCIPnP

• Plug & Play O/S: Yes

• PCI Latency Timer: 64

• Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA: Yes

• Palette Snooping: Disabled

• PCI IDE BusMaster: Enabled

• IRQ3: Available

• IRQ4: Available

• IRQ5: Available

• IRQ7: Available

• IRQ9: Available

• IRQ10: Available

• IRQ11: Available

• IRQ14: Available

• IRQ15: Available

• DMA Channel 0: Available

• DMA Channel 1: Available

• DMA Channel 3: Available

• DMA Channel 5: Available

• DMA Channel 6: Available

• DMA Channel 7: Available

• Reserved Memory Size: Disabled

• Extended BIOS Data Area: Enabled

• Boot

• Boot Settings Configuration

• Quick Boot: Enabled (default is Disabled)

• Quiet Boot: Disabled

• AddOn ROM Display Mode: Force BIOS

• Bootup Num-Lock: On

• PS/2 Mouse Support: Auto

• Wait for 'F1' If Error: Enabled

• Hit 'DEL' Message Display: Enabled

• Interrupt 19 Capture: Enabled

• Primary Display Device: Auto

• Boot Device Priority

• 1st Boot Device: PM-WDC WD1600AAJB-00J3A0

• 2nd Boot Device: SS-ATAPI-CD ROM-DRIVE-56MAX

• Hard Disk Drives

• ATAPI CDROM Drives

• Security

• Boot Sector Virus Protection: Disabled

• Chipset

• Intel E7500/E7501 North Bridge Configuration

• Chipset Memory Remap Feature: Enabled

• CAS Latency: Auto

• South Bridge Configuration

• MPS Revision: 1.4

• Intel PCI-64 Hub 2 Configuration

• PCI Bus Frequency: Auto

• Clock Gen. Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Now, before I wrote this up and was actually preparing to write this up, I attempted to install pfSense through Advanced/Expert installation. Through this, I formatted and partitioned the harddisk, and set / to be 1024M and swap to be 8192M (this I did differently from all other installs, although I have tried partitioning the harddisk as 16GB before but without changing these values for / and swap here). This time it actually fully successfully booted into pfSense without a problem.

I am going to try this again but partitioned to 100% (it worked like this in previous paragraph) with 16GB on / instead of 1GB, and 8GB on swap. I am also going to enable 32Bit Data Transfer on the harddrive. (EDIT: Added a third one as storage to be * (remaining capacity of primary partition).) Success.

Trial 2: partitioned 100%, / to be 32GB, swap to be 8GB, storage to be *, BIOS settings unchanged from first trial... Success

Trial 3: partitioned 100%, / to be 64GB, swap to be 8GB, storage to be *... Failure

FreeBSD must have a thing about large capacities.[/quote]

• BlueToast
    [b]BlueToast wrote:[/b] [quote][b]mfillpot wrote:[/b] [quote]It says that it cannot open or read the first partition of the first hard drive. Most likely your choice of filesystems was not set in the ramdisk image that is used to boot the OS. Did you select to use the default filesystem type on installation or did you choose a non-default filesystem?[/quote]I don't recall having the ability of selecting the filesystem type. Let me check again later today..[/quote]Well... pfSense and I.. I'm like.. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU- pfSense must be like.. [img]http://www.linux.com/components/com_kunena/template/default/images/english/emoticons/grin.gif[/img] (although maybe it is also having a super secret kernel panic for retarded reasons and doing the same thing I am) Quickly read up at http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,29849.msg156495.html#msg156495 and the post that follows. :( I think pfSense is FreeBSD-only.
    Link to this post 19 Nov 10

BlueToast wrote:

[b]mfillpot wrote:[/b]
    [quote]It says that it cannot open or read the first partition of the first hard drive. Most likely your choice of filesystems was not set in the ramdisk image that is used to boot the OS. Did you select to use the default filesystem type on installation or did you choose a non-default filesystem?
    I don't recall having the ability of selecting the filesystem type. Let me check again later today..[/quote]Well...

pfSense and I.. I'm like.. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU-
    pfSense must be like.. (although maybe it is also having a super secret kernel panic for retarded reasons and doing the same thing I am)

Quickly read up at http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,29849.msg156495.html#msg156495 and the post that follows. :(

I think pfSense is FreeBSD-only.

• BlueToast
    [b]mfillpot wrote:[/b] [quote]It says that it cannot open or read the first partition of the first hard drive. Most likely your choice of filesystems was not set in the ramdisk image that is used to boot the OS. Did you select to use the default filesystem type on installation or did you choose a non-default filesystem?[/quote]I don't recall having the ability of selecting the filesystem type. Let me check again later today..
    Link to this post 19 Nov 10

mfillpot wrote:

It says that it cannot open or read the first partition of the first hard drive. Most likely your choice of filesystems was not set in the ramdisk image that is used to boot the OS. Did you select to use the default filesystem type on installation or did you choose a non-default filesystem?
    I don't recall having the ability of selecting the filesystem type. Let me check again later today..

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board