• Last Logged In: 29 Nov 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • tw3ak
    swap? memory and ssd
    ok not sure if this is the correct heading or not here goes, I have a laptop with 6 gigs of ram and 128 gig ssd with 500 gig second drive. I'm planning on installing linux and windows on it.. have just installed the ssd. with such a large amount of ram and fast drive why do I need swap space?
    Link to this post 29 Nov 10

ok not sure if this is the correct heading or not

here goes,

I have a laptop with 6 gigs of ram and 128 gig ssd with 500 gig second drive.
    I'm planning on installing linux and windows on it.. have just installed the ssd. with such a large amount of ram and fast drive why do I need swap space?

• tw3ak
    livecd question
    I'm having a problem with a recent install of linux mint suspend resume and I've googled it,... no simple fix, I was just curious??? if I use some of the live cd / dvd and they suspend resume fine then I would presume that the install would do the same?
    Link to this post 05 Jul 10

I'm having a problem with a recent install of linux mint suspend resume and I've googled it,... no simple fix, I was just curious??? if I use some of the live cd / dvd and they suspend resume fine then I would presume that the install would do the same?

• tw3ak
    portable scanner
    need portable scanner for documents , I work on the road in my truck
    Link to this post 04 Jul 10

need portable scanner for documents , I work on the road in my truck

• tw3ak
    RE: home server
    I'm not "sure" that you are fully aware of what I'm doing with zoneminder..... it's a webcam security system for my home?, I'm not sure why that would be a target, but I guess someone would find a challenge and I would follow your advise. the data that would be stored on my home server would be images of the computers we have. and incremental data backups. Be aware this is a blue collar home, no technocrats here, I'm not sure they could even spell it. I do use linux for access to my debit card accounts and bill pay that could be hijacked .... would be interested in the best way to secure that info. My girlfriend uses Ubuntu , all she does is play online games over the web and send email, that's it. My Son in Law just plays his xbox and hates the fact that the only home computer he has access to is a Ubuntu linux machine and fails to see why I like it more , but 99% of his time is playing xbox not job for over a year and he's 30 years old. ( wife supports him) she uses windows vista and won't change. Then there is my work laptop that I'm planning on replacing myself... when the funds are available it runs xp but again it's just over the web so I'm fairly sure that I can do what I need to do without the home office realizing that I've changed over to linux.... I would also like to be able to stream media over this same machine if at all possible. So if I count right that would be 3 uses... backups, stream media and web cam video capture ( zoneminder ). maybe 3 cams.
    Link to this post 02 Dec 09

I'm not "sure" that you are fully aware of what I'm doing with zoneminder..... it's a webcam security system for my home?, I'm not sure why that would be a target, but I guess someone would find a challenge and I would follow your advise.

the data that would be stored on my home server would be images of the computers we have. and incremental data backups. Be aware this is a blue collar home, no technocrats here, I'm not sure they could even spell it. I do use linux for access to my debit card accounts and bill pay that could be hijacked .... would be interested in the best way to secure that info. My girlfriend uses Ubuntu , all she does is play online games over the web and send email, that's it. My Son in Law just plays his xbox and hates the fact that the only home computer he has access to is a Ubuntu linux machine and fails to see why I like it more , but 99% of his time is playing xbox not job for over a year and he's 30 years old. ( wife supports him) she uses windows vista and won't change. Then there is my work laptop that I'm planning on replacing myself... when the funds are available it runs xp but again it's just over the web so I'm fairly sure that I can do what I need to do without the home office realizing that I've changed over to linux....

I would also like to be able to stream media over this same machine if at all possible. So if I count right that would be 3 uses...
    backups, stream media and web cam video capture ( zoneminder ). maybe 3 cams.

• tw3ak
    RE: home server
    If slackware assumes I'm smart then what does LFS do? Assume I'm a masochist ? :)
    Link to this post 01 Dec 09

If slackware assumes I'm smart then what does LFS do? Assume I'm a masochist ? :)

• tw3ak
    home server
    Happy Holidays, I've got an old full sized tower that I want to change into a nice home server. it's an old AM2 system and the motherboard is fried. I wish to be able to backup images, and data, as well as stream movies and also run zoneminder for security off this one server, not sure if I need to virtualize it or just add the proper programs. Also I would like to save some money on electricity as this will run all the time. any Ideas would be apprieciated.
    Link to this post 01 Dec 09

Happy Holidays,

I've got an old full sized tower that I want to change into a nice home server. it's an old AM2 system and the motherboard is fried. I wish to be able to backup images, and data, as well as stream movies and also run zoneminder for security off this one server, not sure if I need to virtualize it or just add the proper programs. Also I would like to save some money on electricity as this will run all the time.

any Ideas would be apprieciated.

• tw3ak
    microsoft exchange
    Hello, I have no understanding of the corporate world of computing. I'm very happy with using linux everyday. My work laptop uses xp and has outlook and connects thru a vpn to a login for microsoft exchange server I believe. simply put I'd like to use my linux laptop to connect and send emails to this microsoft server. I also use excel spreadsheet. I don't know where to start except that I used to use "Samba" for a home network with both xp and linux running???
    Link to this post 23 Oct 09

Hello,

I have no understanding of the corporate world of computing. I'm very happy with using linux everyday. My work laptop uses xp and has outlook and connects thru a vpn to a login for microsoft exchange server I believe.

simply put I'd like to use my linux laptop to connect and send emails to this microsoft server. I also use excel spreadsheet.

I don't know where to start except that I used to use "Samba" for a home network with both xp and linux running???

• tw3ak
    seeking understanding
    Hi, I'm building LFS to "build" my understanding of the linux/gnu operating system. I know there is a difference between a "login shell" and a "non" login shell. Somehow I manage to get easily confused. As I was building LFS, I 've been making a mistake that I caught this time, I had used a non login root shell as opposed to a login shell. I was wondering what effect that would have on a build of programs ? Would it in effect change the build environment? one reads the ,bash_profile and the other reads the .bashrc?
    Link to this post 20 Jun 09

Hi,

I'm building LFS to "build" my understanding of the linux/gnu operating system.
    I know there is a difference between a "login shell" and a "non" login shell. Somehow I manage to get easily confused. As I was building LFS, I 've been making a mistake that I caught this time, I had used a non login root shell as opposed to a login shell. I was wondering what effect that would have on a build of programs ? Would it in effect change the build environment? one reads the ,bash_profile and the other reads the .bashrc?

• tw3ak
    RE: virtual computer for every monitor
    There was an article on this site about Ubuntu and CentOS being used for thin clients that may be something to consider for a business use. They are using virtualization .
    Link to this post 18 Jun 09

There was an article on this site about Ubuntu and CentOS being used for thin clients that may be something to consider for a business use. They are using virtualization .

• tw3ak
    RE: replacing windows me(technical doubt)
    absolutely, damn small linux, it's good and you can get different versions of it , one you can get is mydml which will install as debian on your hard drive and I'm sure with some help you can get your "wireless" internet up and running. I installed it on a pentium 333 a few weeks ago and it ran fast.
    Link to this post 18 Jun 09

absolutely, damn small linux, it's good and you can get different versions of it , one you can get is mydml which will install as debian on your hard drive and I'm sure with some help you can get your "wireless" internet up and running. I installed it on a pentium 333 a few weeks ago and it ran fast.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board