• Last Logged In: 10 Dec 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • blaineclrk
    Nix Microsoft malware using Linux?
    Is there a way to scan MS machines for adware/malware with Linux? I'm not talking about viruses, it's that other junk that MS gets. A friend has an old XP desktop that has a browser redirect and it's begun to run slow. I'm going to dual-boot Mint for him since XP's going to expire in April, giving him plenty of time to adjust. I could download the usual scanners in his XP and do the scans in safe mode, but figured I'd ask if there's a pure Linux way?
    Link to this post 12 Oct 13

Is there a way to scan MS machines for adware/malware with Linux? I'm not talking about viruses, it's that other junk that MS gets. A friend has an old XP desktop that has a browser redirect and it's begun to run slow. I'm going to dual-boot Mint for him since XP's going to expire in April, giving him plenty of time to adjust.
    I could download the usual scanners in his XP and do the scans in safe mode, but figured I'd ask if there's a pure Linux way?

• blaineclrk
    RE: VM virus
    Thank you.
    Link to this post 01 Oct 13

Thank you.

• blaineclrk
    VM virus
    Hello all, I read this report http://threatpost.com/crisis-trojan-makes-its-way-virtual-machines-082112/76936 and I'm wondering if this could be a threat to VMs on Linux? I know the obvious, not to use any third party software or updates, but still, out of curiosity could this beast do it's thing on Linux? I've been talking to some MS friends about running their soon to expire XP inside of Linux on VM and since they are MS users after all, it could be a sure bet that they would bring their MS habits along so I have to ask.
    Link to this post 21 Sep 13

Hello all, I read this report http://threatpost.com/crisis-trojan-makes-its-way-virtual-machines-082112/76936 and I'm wondering if this could be a threat to VMs on Linux?
    I know the obvious, not to use any third party software or updates, but still, out of curiosity could this beast do it's thing on Linux?
    I've been talking to some MS friends about running their soon to expire XP inside of Linux on VM and since they are MS users after all, it could be a sure bet that they would bring their MS habits along so I have to ask.

• blaineclrk
    Wide-range accessibility query
    Posted on an email list by an educator: Can anyone suggest AT (Accessible Technolgy) approach / consideration / SW (Software) to support a student with multiple LD (Learning Disorders) and sensory processing disorders? Can anyone suggest AT approach / consideration / SW package to support a student with the following needs profile across all (most) subjects and to appropriately prepare for Middle school transition. Possibly SW package/bundle to support and minimize the number of different programs to learn and switch from subject to subject (due to cognitive flexibility deficit). Profile: 12 y.o. 6th grade, Middle school next year. NLD (Neurological Learning Disorder), significant Central Auditory (auditory working memory; integrating the prosodic intonation problems; difficulties listening in noisy group environments; auditory decoding) & Visual perception processing (visual discrimination, Form constancy, Figure Ground and Closure, visual memory / reasoning)/ visual-motor/spatial, fine motor/motor planning/sensory integration deficits, Receptive/expressive/pragmatic language, information retrieval issues. Executive / organization skills. No vision or hearing problems. Current IEP: Resource room - Math, reading, writing; Inclusion RegEd: science, social study, specials. AT to support writing - netbook, WP, Inspiration (just started in spring for ideas brainstorming): (can't print, cursive not functional, difficulty acquiring keyboarding skills due to fingers strength, coordination and dexterity). AT helps but due to keyboarding issues - not very effective and not used in RegEd class. Also netbook screen is probably too small to support visual perception. My thoughts; Speech Recognition Control and/or Breath Control, Screen Reader coupled with low mag screen magnification for visual and auditory redundancy (multiple learning modes). Educational programs coupled with Educational games, each preferably easily tailored by educator and family for incorporating and reinforcing current curriculum targets with review and testing. Need some recommendations; What build would provide these features and work adequately on a netbook? I'll try to get some info on the netbook, brand, model, etc. Many thanks for any replies.
    Link to this post 11 Sep 11

Posted on an email list by an educator:

Can anyone suggest AT (Accessible Technolgy) approach / consideration / SW (Software) to support a student with multiple LD (Learning Disorders) and sensory processing disorders?

Can anyone suggest AT approach / consideration / SW package to support a student with the following needs profile across all (most) subjects and to appropriately prepare for Middle school transition. Possibly SW package/bundle to support and minimize the number of different programs to learn and switch from subject to subject (due to cognitive flexibility deficit).
    Profile: 12 y.o. 6th grade, Middle school next year.
    NLD (Neurological Learning Disorder), significant Central Auditory (auditory working memory; integrating the prosodic intonation problems; difficulties listening in noisy group environments; auditory decoding) & Visual perception processing (visual discrimination, Form constancy, Figure Ground and Closure, visual memory / reasoning)/ visual-motor/spatial, fine motor/motor planning/sensory integration deficits, Receptive/expressive/pragmatic language, information retrieval issues. Executive / organization skills. No vision or hearing problems.
    Current IEP: Resource room - Math, reading, writing; Inclusion RegEd: science, social study, specials. AT to support writing - netbook, WP, Inspiration (just started in spring for ideas brainstorming): (can't print, cursive not functional, difficulty acquiring keyboarding skills due to fingers strength, coordination and dexterity). AT helps but due to keyboarding issues - not very effective and not used in RegEd class. Also netbook screen is probably too small to support visual perception.

My thoughts; Speech Recognition Control and/or Breath Control, Screen Reader coupled with low mag screen magnification for visual and auditory redundancy (multiple learning modes). Educational programs coupled with Educational games, each preferably easily tailored by educator and family for incorporating and reinforcing current curriculum targets with review and testing.

Need some recommendations; What build would provide these features and work adequately on a netbook? I'll try to get some info on the netbook, brand, model, etc.

Many thanks for any replies.

• blaineclrk
    Clean install on Macs
    Hi all, I'm starting a project that involves finding used computers that are too slow or that users have otherwise gotten frustrated with. I'll clean install Vinux on them completely wiping the hard drives and our little group will then find users who can benefit from an inexpensive accessible computer. Vinux is based on Ubuntu and has been tweaked to peak the performance of Orca and a few other accessible features so I'll also be concerned about not breaking Orca or some other part of the speech or magnification works or the sound package, or if something does break, getting it fixed. Info about Vinux is at vinux.org.uk. I've done the installs replacing Microsoft and I know it's probably a matter of time until I'm given a Mac. In general, how do I clean install on Macs? I'm going to assume that there might be some differences between brands and models and between desktops and lap tops, but in general, what am I looking at? When I get hit with the bucket of spit I want to be ready. By the way, I'm a member of the Hank Bloomberg chapter of the Pennsylvania Council of the Blind. That ought to help explain the purpose of the project better. I'm also a newbie, I jumped from Microsoft just over a year ago into Ubuntu and I haven't looked back since.
    Link to this post 31 Jan 11

Hi all, I'm starting a project that involves finding used computers that are too slow or that users have otherwise gotten frustrated with. I'll clean install Vinux on them completely wiping the hard drives and our little group will then find users who can benefit from an inexpensive accessible computer. Vinux is based on Ubuntu and has been tweaked to peak the performance of Orca and a few other accessible features so I'll also be concerned about not breaking Orca or some other part of the speech or magnification works or the sound package, or if something does break, getting it fixed. Info about Vinux is at vinux.org.uk.

I've done the installs replacing Microsoft and I know it's probably a matter of time until I'm given a Mac. In general, how do I clean install on Macs? I'm going to assume that there might be some differences between brands and models and between desktops and lap tops, but in general, what am I looking at? When I get hit with the bucket of spit I want to be ready.

By the way, I'm a member of the Hank Bloomberg chapter of the Pennsylvania Council of the Blind. That ought to help explain the purpose of the project better. I'm also a newbie, I jumped from Microsoft just over a year ago into Ubuntu and I haven't looked back since.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board