• Last Logged In: 30 Jun 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • AstarothMastemaRavenclaw
    Is it possible ..
    I currently am happy running Arch, but I would like to build a source-based distro (Gentoo, Source Mage), or even LFS if only for the great learning experience involved (as a summer project/hobby) . But as these take a very long time to build, I was wondering if it's possible to build it on a partition on my terrabyte drive, and then when I am done, export an installable .iso of the system for my acutal computer(s) ?
    Link to this post 28 Jun 11

I currently am happy running Arch, but I would like to build a source-based distro (Gentoo, Source Mage), or even LFS if only for the great learning experience involved (as a summer project/hobby) . But as these take a very long time to build, I was wondering if it's possible to build it on a partition on my terrabyte drive, and then when I am done, export an installable .iso of the system for my acutal computer(s) ?

RE: I'm looking for a distro ..
    I finally got Arch up and running, and I have to say I am thoroughly pleased . ^^
    Link to this post 21 Jun 11

I finally got Arch up and running, and I have to say I am thoroughly pleased . ^^

The rc.conf example I pasted is directly from that Arch wiki . xD I have suspicions that I am supposed to edit the lines with no crunch (#) in front of them . But thanks . xD I will just keep trying every now and then until I get it right . I am sure it will be worth it in the end .

The rc.conf example I pasted is directly from that Arch wiki . xD
    I have suspicions that I am supposed to edit the lines with no crunch (#) in front of them .
    But thanks . xD

I will just keep trying every now and then until I get it right .
    I am sure it will be worth it in the end .

Even just putting a little "~" in front of the lines I should edit in the following rc.conf file would help me ENORMOUSLY . # # /etc/rc.conf - Main Configuration for Arch Linux # # ----------------------------------------------------------------------- # LOCALIZATION # ----------------------------------------------------------------------- # # LOCALE: available languages can be listed with the 'locale -a' command # DAEMON_LOCALE: If set to 'yes', use $LOCALE as the locale during daemon # startup and during the boot process. If set to 'no', the C locale is used. # HARDWARECLOCK: set to "UTC" or "localtime", any other value will result # in the hardware clock being left untouched (useful for virtualization) # Note: Using "localtime" is discouraged. # TIMEZONE: timezones are found in /usr/share/zoneinfo # KEYMAP: keymaps are found in /usr/share/kbd/keymaps # CONSOLEFONT: found in /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts (only needed for non-US) # CONSOLEMAP: found in /usr/share/kbd/consoletrans # USECOLOR: use ANSI color sequences in startup messages # VERBOSE: Verbose level (from 1 to 8). man 3 syslog for level info # LOCALE="en_US.UTF-8" DAEMON_LOCALE="no" HARDWARECLOCK="UTC" TIMEZONE="Canada/Pacific" KEYMAP="us" CONSOLEFONT= CONSOLEMAP= USECOLOR="yes" VERBOSE="3" # ----------------------------------------------------------------------- # HARDWARE # ----------------------------------------------------------------------- # # MODULES: Modules to load at boot-up. Blacklisting is no longer supported. # Replace every !module by an entry as on the following line in a file in # /etc/modprobe.d: # blacklist module # See "man modprobe.conf" for details. # MODULES=() # Udev settle timeout (default to 30) UDEV_TIMEOUT=30 # Scan for FakeRAID (dmraid) Volumes at startup USEDMRAID="no" # Scan for BTRFS volumes at startup USEBTRFS="no" # Scan for LVM volume groups at startup, required if you use LVM USELVM="no" # ----------------------------------------------------------------------- # NETWORKING # ----------------------------------------------------------------------- # # HOSTNAME: Hostname of machine. Should also be put in /etc/hosts # HOSTNAME="myhost" # Use 'ip addr' or 'ls /sys/class/net/' to see all available interfaces. # # Wired network setup # - interface: name of device (required) # - address: IP address (leave blank for DHCP) # - netmask: subnet mask (ignored for DHCP) # - gateway: default route (ignored for DHCP) # # Static IP example # interface=eth0 # address=192.168.0.2 # netmask=255.255.255.0 # gateway=192.168.0.1 # # DHCP example # interface=eth0 # address= # netmask= # gateway= interface= address= netmask= gateway= # Setting this to "yes" will skip network shutdown. # This is required if your root device is on NFS. NETWORK_PERSIST="no" # Enable these netcfg profiles at boot-up. These are useful if you happen to # need more advanced network features than the simple network service # supports, such as multiple network configurations (ie, laptop users) # - set to 'menu' to present a menu during boot-up (dialog package required) # - prefix an entry with a ! to disable it # # Network profiles are found in /etc/network.d # # This requires the netcfg package # #NETWORKS=(main) # ----------------------------------------------------------------------- # DAEMONS # ----------------------------------------------------------------------- # # Daemons to start at boot-up (in this order) # - prefix a daemon with a ! to disable it # - prefix a daemon with a @ to start it up in the background # # If something other takes care of your hardware clock (ntpd, dual-boot...) # you should disable 'hwclock' here. # DAEMONS=(hwclock syslog-ng network netfs crond)

Even just putting a little "~" in front of the lines I should edit in the following rc.conf file would help me ENORMOUSLY .

#
    # /etc/rc.conf - Main Configuration for Arch Linux
    #

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    # LOCALIZATION
    #
    # LOCALE: available languages can be listed with the 'locale -a' command
    # DAEMON_LOCALE: If set to 'yes', use $LOCALE as the locale during daemon
    # startup and during the boot process. If set to 'no', the C locale is used.
    # HARDWARECLOCK: set to "UTC" or "localtime", any other value will result
    # in the hardware clock being left untouched (useful for virtualization)
    # Note: Using "localtime" is discouraged.
    # TIMEZONE: timezones are found in /usr/share/zoneinfo
    # KEYMAP: keymaps are found in /usr/share/kbd/keymaps
    # CONSOLEFONT: found in /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts (only needed for non-US)
    # CONSOLEMAP: found in /usr/share/kbd/consoletrans
    # USECOLOR: use ANSI color sequences in startup messages
    # VERBOSE: Verbose level (from 1 to 8). man 3 syslog for level info
    #
    LOCALE="en_US.UTF-8"
    DAEMON_LOCALE="no"
    HARDWARECLOCK="UTC"
    TIMEZONE="Canada/Pacific"
    KEYMAP="us"
    CONSOLEFONT=
    CONSOLEMAP=
    USECOLOR="yes"
    VERBOSE="3"

# HARDWARE
    #
    # MODULES: Modules to load at boot-up. Blacklisting is no longer supported.
    # Replace every !module by an entry as on the following line in a file in
    # /etc/modprobe.d:
    # blacklist module
    # See "man modprobe.conf" for details.
    #
    MODULES=()

# Udev settle timeout (default to 30)
    UDEV_TIMEOUT=30

# Scan for FakeRAID (dmraid) Volumes at startup
    USEDMRAID="no"

# Scan for BTRFS volumes at startup
    USEBTRFS="no"

# Scan for LVM volume groups at startup, required if you use LVM
    USELVM="no"

# NETWORKING
    #
    # HOSTNAME: Hostname of machine. Should also be put in /etc/hosts
    #
    HOSTNAME="myhost"

# Use 'ip addr' or 'ls /sys/class/net/' to see all available interfaces.
    #
    # Wired network setup
    # - interface: name of device (required)
    # - address: IP address (leave blank for DHCP)
    # - netmask: subnet mask (ignored for DHCP)
    # - gateway: default route (ignored for DHCP)
    #
    # Static IP example
    # interface=eth0
    # address=192.168.0.2
    # netmask=255.255.255.0
    # gateway=192.168.0.1
    #
    # DHCP example
    # interface=eth0
    # address=
    # netmask=
    # gateway=

interface=
    address=
    netmask=
    gateway=

# Setting this to "yes" will skip network shutdown.
    # This is required if your root device is on NFS.
    NETWORK_PERSIST="no"

# Enable these netcfg profiles at boot-up. These are useful if you happen to
    # need more advanced network features than the simple network service
    # supports, such as multiple network configurations (ie, laptop users)
    # - set to 'menu' to present a menu during boot-up (dialog package required)
    # - prefix an entry with a ! to disable it
    #
    # Network profiles are found in /etc/network.d
    #
    # This requires the netcfg package
    #
    #NETWORKS=(main)

# DAEMONS
    #
    # Daemons to start at boot-up (in this order)
    # - prefix a daemon with a ! to disable it
    # - prefix a daemon with a @ to start it up in the background
    #
    # If something other takes care of your hardware clock (ntpd, dual-boot...)
    # you should disable 'hwclock' here.
    #
    DAEMONS=(hwclock syslog-ng network netfs crond)

Well, for one I did not understand the layout of the file; I expected to write out the entire file, which for me would have been easier instead of struggling to find out where to put what . If it should be commented out or not, where the "examples" end and your configuration starts .. I still to this point have no clue as to how to properly edit the NETWORKING section so as to have a working LAN connection upon bootup . E.g. Do I put my configurations in the "HOSTNAME" at the top of the document, or in the little section directly under the static and dhcp examples ? I bodged the bootloader but at least for this one I know what I did wrong . The rest of the install process went by very fast and very smooth . I only had issues with the /etc/rc.conf file .

Well, for one I did not understand the layout of the file; I expected to write out the entire file, which for me would have been easier instead of struggling to find out where to put what . If it should be commented out or not, where the "examples" end and your configuration starts .. I still to this point have no clue as to how to properly edit the NETWORKING section so as to have a working LAN connection upon bootup .
    E.g. Do I put my configurations in the "HOSTNAME" at the top of the document, or in the little section directly under the static and dhcp examples ?

I bodged the bootloader but at least for this one I know what I did wrong .

The rest of the install process went by very fast and very smooth .
    I only had issues with the /etc/rc.conf file .

Really ? When I tried Fedora the other day it was a disaster in a box . O_O I am starting to get Arch, but even with my persistent studying of every.single.document.out.there. I failed to properly edit the /etc/rc.conf file and as a result, could not continue with post-install operations . Now I am considering what you told me about base installs .. Might completely change my views on most distros that worked for me but always had a particular flaw to turn me off . Interesting . Thanks . ^^
    Link to this post 20 Jun 11

Really ? When I tried Fedora the other day it was a disaster in a box . O_O

I am starting to get Arch, but even with my persistent studying of every.single.document.out.there. I failed to properly edit the /etc/rc.conf file and as a result, could not continue with post-install operations .

Now I am considering what you told me about base installs .. Might completely change my views on most distros that worked for me but always had a particular flaw to turn me off . Interesting . Thanks . ^^

Thank you . I am currently taking studious notes on installing and configuring Arch, as the last time I tried I was left completely dumbfounded when it came to manual configuration of text files . I personally don't like Debian all that much, because the install is too automated .. Which is why I am going the Arch way as soon as I learn how to get around a few learning curves .
    Link to this post 19 Jun 11

Thank you . I am currently taking studious notes on installing and configuring Arch, as the last time I tried I was left completely dumbfounded when it came to manual configuration of text files .

I personally don't like Debian all that much, because the install is too automated ..
    Which is why I am going the Arch way as soon as I learn how to get around a few learning curves .

I'm looking for a distro ..
    I'm looking for a functional distro that does not ship with pre-determined software which you can uninstall as many times as you want but it will still be reinstalled every few updates . I want to pick and choose my own software, and I only want updates for what I have installed . Is there a distro that can help me accomplish this ?
    Link to this post 19 Jun 11

I'm looking for a functional distro that does not ship with pre-determined software which you can uninstall as many times as you want but it will still be reinstalled every few updates .
    I want to pick and choose my own software, and I only want updates for what I have installed .
    Is there a distro that can help me accomplish this ?

RE: Which distro do you find works the best ?
    Ubuntu/variants are falling down a hole . MEPIS does not allow the creation of a /var partition . (A shame, I love[d] MEPIS ..) I am giving Fedora 15 a try because I very much like Gnome 3 . *EDIT* Forget Fedora . I found no workaround for the black screen of death, and I cannot get my wireless card to work, though I do like rpm from what I have seen of it . I am giving OpenSUSE a spin .
    Link to this post 18 Jun 11

Ubuntu/variants are falling down a hole .
    MEPIS does not allow the creation of a /var partition . (A shame, I love[d] MEPIS ..)

I am giving Fedora 15 a try because I very much like Gnome 3 .

*EDIT*

Forget Fedora . I found no workaround for the black screen of death, and I cannot get my wireless card to work, though I do like rpm from what I have seen of it .
    I am giving OpenSUSE a spin .

Where can I get this boot splash ?
    I recently saw a really nice-looking boot-splash on a Backtrack 5 distribution, which is basically Ubuntu so the same install principles should apply . But I don't know where to find it ? Help would be (very) appreciated . It is not letting me add the image to this post, so here is the link to it: http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/x_x_xdeadalex_x_x_x/cyber-gothic-wide-eyes.jpg
    Link to this post 31 May 11

I recently saw a really nice-looking boot-splash on a Backtrack 5 distribution, which is basically Ubuntu so the same install principles should apply . But I don't know where to find it ?

Help would be (very) appreciated .

It is not letting me add the image to this post, so here is the link to it:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/x_x_xdeadalex_x_x_x/cyber-gothic-wide-eyes.jpg

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board