• Last Logged In: 12 Jul 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • RickSMO
    RE: help with selecting a distribution
    I'd recommend putting Linux on a extra system or dual booting one system to allow you to get used to linux and see what you can get to work for you and what obstacles you may or may not have. That way it's a easy transition without going "all in". Distributions i'd recommend Ubuntu or Fedora, why? Because it's what I like, and most people are using one or the other in one shape or another. But look at them all, you can always change your mind with free software =)
    Link to this post 02 Jul 11

I'd recommend putting Linux on a extra system or dual booting one system to allow you to get used to linux and see what you can get to work for you and what obstacles you may or may not have. That way it's a easy transition without going "all in".

Distributions i'd recommend Ubuntu or Fedora, why? Because it's what I like, and most people are using one or the other in one shape or another.

But look at them all, you can always change your mind with free software =)

• RickSMO
    RE: Video problem
    I'd like to know if you tried my recommendations to narrow down the issue, or if it has been resolved or not. Please update us on what is going on. Thank you.

I'd like to know if you tried my recommendations to narrow down the issue, or if it has been resolved or not. Please update us on what is going on. Thank you.

• RickSMO
    RE: Savage2 and Fedora15 problem **RESOLVED**
    Savage2 now works perfectly, running this: yum install kmod-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs.i686 solved my problem with Native Linux 64bit 3D applications like Savage2 and Regnum Online. Score +1 for the tux gaming.

Savage2 now works perfectly, running this: yum install kmod-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs.i686

solved my problem with Native Linux 64bit 3D applications like Savage2 and Regnum Online.

Score +1 for the tux gaming.

• RickSMO
    RE: Video issue
    it's kind of like a extra layer of security that I don't want and didn't ask for, because on boot up I can type my password in with a blank screen. Then my screen comes back as soon as I'm logged in. lol

it's kind of like a extra layer of security that I don't want and didn't ask for, because on boot up I can type my password in with a blank screen. Then my screen comes back as soon as I'm logged in. lol

• RickSMO
    Using KDE Here is my xorg.conf file: [quote]# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display Section "ServerLayout" Identifier "aticonfig Layout" Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0 EndSection Section "Files" ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/catalyst" ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules" EndSection Section "ServerFlags" Option "AIGLX" "on" EndSection Section "Monitor" Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0" Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver" Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor" Option "DPMS" "true" EndSection Section "Device" Identifier "Videocard0" Driver "fglrx" Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off" BusID "PCI:2:0:0" EndSection Section "Screen" Identifier "Screen0" Device "Videocard0" Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0" DefaultDepth 24 SubSection "Display" Viewport 0 0 Depth 24 EndSubSection EndSection Section "Extensions" Option "Composite" "Enable" EndSection [/quote]

Using KDE

Here is my xorg.conf file:

# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/catalyst"
    ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AIGLX" "on"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection

• RickSMO
    My 3D acceleration issue has been fixed, all that is left is a simple issue with my boot screen being completely black and blank until I log in to my desktop then its fine. I found a website that showed how to install the .xorg driver for Fedora 13 for my video card, it fixed my issue in Fedora 15 so far, Savage2 seems to be running great now. Would like my boot screen issue fixed tho, not sure where to start?
    Link to this post 01 Jul 11

My 3D acceleration issue has been fixed, all that is left is a simple issue with my boot screen being completely black and blank until I log in to my desktop then its fine.

I found a website that showed how to install the .xorg driver for Fedora 13 for my video card, it fixed my issue in Fedora 15 so far, Savage2 seems to be running great now.

Would like my boot screen issue fixed tho, not sure where to start?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board