• Last Logged In: 24 Mar 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Doumiwia
    WIFI issues GNOME/mint - RT73 USB WLAN Adapter
    I have no idea what or how to get the WPA Supplicant. I go to the page it tells me to http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant v.0.5.8 so i can install the WPA supplicant Free edition development from website HTTP://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/ I tried for quite some time to resolve this issue myself but no luck. I am running linux mint debian gnome i386.iso RT73 USB Wireles LAN Adapter I tried to check the forums but ended up still not being able to find the supplicant. Please and Thank you For the help!
    Link to this post 24 Mar 11

I have no idea what or how to get the WPA Supplicant. I go to the page it tells me to http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant v.0.5.8 so i can install the WPA supplicant Free edition development from website HTTP://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/

I tried for quite some time to resolve this issue myself but no luck.

I am running linux mint debian gnome i386.iso
    RT73 USB Wireles LAN Adapter

I tried to check the forums but ended up still not being able to find the supplicant.

Please and Thank you For the help!

• Doumiwia
    RE: Security Help? Linux-Debian-Gnome-i386.iso
    I'm not sure. I was thinking about possibly whole disk encryption in case the box was ever stolen. Its not really something I'm concerned with but I want to practice some theoretical situations. Also standard file encryption. Shutting down unnecessary ports, basically anything in the realm of securing the box minus physically locking it to the house :)
    Link to this post 20 Mar 11

I'm not sure. I was thinking about possibly whole disk encryption in case the box was ever stolen. Its not really something I'm concerned with but I want to practice some theoretical situations. Also standard file encryption. Shutting down unnecessary ports, basically anything in the realm of securing the box minus physically locking it to the house :)

• Doumiwia
    Security Help? Linux-Debian-Gnome-i386.iso
    I just installed Linux-Debian-Gnome-i386.iso on an old Windows XP desktop. Its my first Linux experience and among other things I'd like to lock it down. I'm not sure at this point what I'm going to do with it, I might throw backtrack on a partition and use that... but who knows. Regardless I am not sure how to lock down anything Linux. Tips, Advice, Warnings, all is accepted thanks for the help!
    Link to this post 20 Mar 11

I just installed Linux-Debian-Gnome-i386.iso on an old Windows XP desktop. Its my first Linux experience and among other things I'd like to lock it down. I'm not sure at this point what I'm going to do with it, I might throw backtrack on a partition and use that... but who knows. Regardless I am not sure how to lock down anything Linux. Tips, Advice, Warnings, all is accepted thanks for the help!

• Doumiwia
    RE: Converting old MS or Linux...if you guys can help!
    Ya I'm basically a newbie. I have taken the CCNA courses in a crash course style over a month about a year or two ago and lightly looked into CCNP routing course. I understood most of what was discussed. I look forward to digging into the computer industry and learning a lot in the next 3-8 months. I just recently switched from a Pre-pharmacy major to a network security major so I need some tinker toys. Last Night I tried to install Ubuntu 10.10 from a disk but it didn't work. I was heading to bed when it told me it didn't finish correctly and i've been busy at school all day so I won't be back to the computer until around 5 hours from now. The first time I tried it I had to take out the battery because the BIOS had a password on it. After that I tried to create a single partition with only linux on it. When it got to the error part it said that the cd might need to be written at a slower speed or that maybe my cd/dvd drive is dusty/broken. Like I said I was just heading to bed when it told me this so I didn't exactly log the details mentally or T-shoot. Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to post more when I get a chance to look at it again.
    Link to this post 10 Feb 11

Ya I'm basically a newbie. I have taken the CCNA courses in a crash course style over a month about a year or two ago and lightly looked into CCNP routing course. I understood most of what was discussed. I look forward to digging into the computer industry and learning a lot in the next 3-8 months. I just recently switched from a Pre-pharmacy major to a network security major so I need some tinker toys. Last Night I tried to install Ubuntu 10.10 from a disk but it didn't work. I was heading to bed when it told me it didn't finish correctly and i've been busy at school all day so I won't be back to the computer until around 5 hours from now. The first time I tried it I had to take out the battery because the BIOS had a password on it. After that I tried to create a single partition with only linux on it. When it got to the error part it said that the cd might need to be written at a slower speed or that maybe my cd/dvd drive is dusty/broken. Like I said I was just heading to bed when it told me this so I didn't exactly log the details mentally or T-shoot.
    Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to post more when I get a chance to look at it again.

• Doumiwia
    Converting old MS or Linux...if you guys can help!
    I have recently acquired a hunk of junk(XP Comp) from the basement. The box currently has BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) 2400+, MMX, 3DNow, 1.67GHz Memory: 512MB RAM Let me know if there is anything else you might need to know. I want to completely erase the old settings and start fresh because I don't need any of the files on this computer. Let me know which version you think would work best for this computer.
    Link to this post 09 Feb 11

I have recently acquired a hunk of junk(XP Comp) from the basement.

The box currently has
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) 2400+, MMX, 3DNow, 1.67GHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM

Let me know if there is anything else you might need to know.

I want to completely erase the old settings and start fresh because I don't need any of the files on this computer. Let me know which version you think would work best for this computer.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board