• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 23 Apr 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • LinuxSquirrel
    How does one search this forum by poster?
    I've been getting these New Friend Requests but I don't make friends that easily. I would at least like to see what the person has been posting on this site. The search functions on this never find anything. Why not??? (Try searching for anyone but yourself and see).
    Link to this post 24 Apr 11

I've been getting these New Friend Requests but I don't make friends that easily. I would at least like to see what the person has been posting on this site. The search functions on this never find anything. Why not??? (Try searching for anyone but yourself and see).

• LinuxSquirrel
    RE: Linux users not playing Flash games?
    [b]saqman2060 wrote:[/b] [quote]Not sure why the linux games are cheesy at best. Perhaps it is the language they is being used. Remember this is opensource. Opensource programs are not that powerful like, for say, C+ or c#.[/quote] Any scripted, runtime, interpreted, object-oriented language may be sexy now but is not going to age well. You may even wake up tommorow to some scary-looking code...
    Link to this post 20 Feb 11

saqman2060 wrote:

Not sure why the linux games are cheesy at best. Perhaps it is the language they is being used. Remember this is opensource. Opensource programs are not that powerful like, for say, C+ or c#.

Any scripted, runtime, interpreted, object-oriented language may be sexy now but is not going to age well. You may even wake up tommorow to some scary-looking code...

• LinuxSquirrel
    RE: Honeycomb anyone ?
    [b]ben wrote:[/b] [quote]I've just seen YouTube videos related to Honeycomb presentation, I've read few specs and nothing more, is there someone here involved in it ? [/quote] It is unlikely someone here is involved in it. It is a fork of a fork of Linux. There is little benefit flowing back to Linux, and the development environment is extremely Java-centric.
    Link to this post 19 Feb 11

ben wrote:

I've just seen YouTube videos related to Honeycomb presentation, I've read few specs and nothing more, is there someone here involved in it ?

It is unlikely someone here is involved in it.

It is a fork of a fork of Linux.

There is little benefit flowing back to Linux, and the development environment is extremely Java-centric.

• LinuxSquirrel
    RE: Scanner Problem
    [b]mfillpot wrote:[/b] [quote] Please check your system to verify that sane is installed and that you have the most reason version.[/quote] On many systems its call XSane. If you install that it may resolve any dependency issues. P.S. Some of those Epson scanners are not powered through the USB cable, so make sure its plugged in...

mfillpot wrote:

Please check your system to verify that sane is installed and that you have the most reason version.

On many systems its call XSane. If you install that it may resolve any dependency issues.

P.S. Some of those Epson scanners are not powered through the USB cable, so make sure its plugged in...

• LinuxSquirrel
    RE: Linux users not playing Flash games?
    [b]m3xican wrote:[/b] [quote] To be honest I have no idea why this is happening, and as a portal owner and Linux user I'd like to improve this situation for what I can. So I thought to post on this forum and ask if you play Flash games and if not, why? [/quote] Why? Because the most popular distros do not come with flash preinstalled. This is usually for legal or ideological reasons, or both.

m3xican wrote:

To be honest I have no idea why this is happening, and as a portal owner and Linux user I'd like to improve this situation for what I can. So I thought to post on this forum and ask if you play Flash games and if not, why?

Why? Because the most popular distros do not come with flash preinstalled. This is usually for legal or ideological reasons, or both.

• LinuxSquirrel
    RE: Trouble with Ubuntu
    The linux drivers for NVIDIA's integrated graphics tends to lag, even for the proprietary drivers (that do not come with the bootable CD). Sometimes, its just the combination with the monitor, so try swapping in another monitor. The easiest solution is to just stick any old ATI graphic card in the machine (presuming its not a laptop).

The linux drivers for NVIDIA's integrated graphics tends to lag, even for the proprietary drivers (that do not come with the bootable CD). Sometimes, its just the combination with the monitor, so try swapping in another monitor. The easiest solution is to just stick any old ATI graphic card in the machine (presuming its not a laptop).

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board