• Last Logged In: 18 Jun 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • oldator
    RE: 64 bit mint 10 won't install
    Actually I have installed several 64 bit distros on this machine with no problems. I have 4 spare 500 gig HD's that I use for testing other distros. I had Kubuntu installed on another machine, but aspps kept moving around on the task bar, and some apps would be removed. Seems like after a kernel update, there would be problems. I had 8 entries on grub with different kernel versions, so I removed Kubuntu. Thanks for your suggestions though, I appreciate the feedback.
    Link to this post 28 Oct 11

Actually I have installed several 64 bit distros on this machine with no problems. I have 4 spare 500 gig HD's that I use for testing other distros. I had Kubuntu installed on another machine, but aspps kept moving around on the task bar, and some apps would be removed. Seems like after a kernel update, there would be problems. I had 8 entries on grub with different kernel versions, so I removed Kubuntu. Thanks for your suggestions though, I appreciate the feedback.

• oldator
    Since posting this, the final version has been released, and I have downloaded, and tried to install 13 different DVD's of Linux Mint 11. I have downloaded from different repositories, used different machines, different brands of media, and get the same end result. Failure to install. I have come to the conclusion that it is the machine. However, I did manage to install a CD, with the LXDE window manager, 32 bit. Most of the other distros will not show 16 gig of ram, but this one does. I would have preferred the 64 bit, but will settle with the 32. Mint is the BEST distro I have used since PCLOS. I am fixin to upgrade my main machine with a quad core processor, and 16 gig of ram, so I know I can install the lXDE version of Mint 11. I have several 500 gig spare HD's which I used to test various distros, and so far Mint has been the only 64 bit that won't install. Thanks to all who responded.
    Link to this post 26 Oct 11

Since posting this, the final version has been released, and I have downloaded, and tried to install 13 different DVD's of Linux Mint 11. I have downloaded from different repositories, used different machines, different brands of media, and get the same end result. Failure to install. I have come to the conclusion that it is the machine. However, I did manage to install a CD, with the LXDE window manager, 32 bit. Most of the other distros will not show 16 gig of ram, but this one does. I would have preferred the 64 bit, but will settle with the 32. Mint is the BEST distro I have used since PCLOS. I am fixin to upgrade my main machine with a quad core processor, and 16 gig of ram, so I know I can install the lXDE version of Mint 11. I have several 500 gig spare HD's which I used to test various distros, and so far Mint has been the only 64 bit that won't install. Thanks to all who responded.

• oldator
    RE: Multiiple Linux installations
    Mint 10 would be an excellent choice. When you start the install, it should pick up your other drives. First drive will be sda, second drive sdb. When the choice come up where to install, choose sdb, and put the bootloader on sda, as grub will include your windows install too. I currently have a system with 2, 500 gig drives. I have XP, win7 on sda, Mint10, peppermint One , and Kubuntu on sdb. Grub contains all of the OS's when I boot up. When installing different versions of windows always install the older version first, and win7 will put in a windows loader with both versions, and grub will point ypu to the loader. Really not that difficult to have multiple OS's on one, or two drives.
    Link to this post 23 May 11

Mint 10 would be an excellent choice. When you start the install, it should pick up your other drives. First drive will be sda, second drive sdb. When the choice come up where to install, choose sdb, and put the bootloader on sda, as grub will include your windows install too. I currently have a system with 2, 500 gig drives. I have XP, win7 on sda, Mint10, peppermint One , and Kubuntu on sdb. Grub contains all of the OS's when I boot up. When installing different versions of windows always install the older version first, and win7 will put in a windows loader with both versions, and grub will point ypu to the loader. Really not that difficult to have multiple OS's on one, or two drives.

• oldator
    I've ran into problems with betas before, so I figured I would wait until the final release is out and try again. This was my first experience with 64 bit ,and I thought maybe there was something I needed to do to get it set for 64 bit. But, when the live CD loaded and ran well I assumed it was A-ok.
    Link to this post 22 May 11

I've ran into problems with betas before, so I figured I would wait until the final release is out and try again. This was my first experience with 64 bit ,and I thought maybe there was something I needed to do to get it set for 64 bit. But, when the live CD loaded and ran well I assumed it was A-ok.

• oldator
    I booted the live CD, selected to install. Selected to install alongside other OS. Selected all the other options, and the install started. The blue progress bar went about 1/2 inch, and ALL motion stopped. The screen did not blank, or change color, everything stayed, but no cursor movement, ctrl-alt-delete did not work, arrow keys did not work, nothing on keyboard was active. I turned the switch off, on back of computer, and rebooted. I have the 32 bit, of mint 10, installed on another system alongside, XP, Ububtu, and Peppermint One. I have had as many as five OS's on the other system, with no problems.
    Link to this post 21 May 11

I booted the live CD, selected to install. Selected to install alongside other OS. Selected all the other options, and the install started. The blue progress bar went about 1/2 inch, and ALL motion stopped. The screen did not blank, or change color, everything stayed, but no cursor movement, ctrl-alt-delete did not work, arrow keys did not work, nothing on keyboard was active. I turned the switch off, on back of computer, and rebooted. I have the 32 bit, of mint 10, installed on another system alongside, XP, Ububtu, and Peppermint One. I have had as many as five OS's on the other system, with no problems.

• oldator
    "barely started", means it started to install, and it froze, stopped. No cursor, no keyboard. The live CD booted up fine. I was trying to install alongside PCLinuxOS, on a 500 gig HD.
    Link to this post 21 May 11

"barely started", means it started to install, and it froze, stopped. No cursor, no keyboard. The live CD booted up fine. I was trying to install alongside PCLinuxOS, on a 500 gig HD.

• oldator
    64 bit mint 10 won't install
    I recently upgraded one of my computers to an AMD quad core, 3.0 ghz, 600 watt power supply, 16 gig of ram, an MSI 760GM. 64 bit mobo. and 500 gig HD. I downloaded the 64 bit rc version of Mint 11, and it would start to install and about 3/4 done would freeze. I then tried Mint 10 64 bit, and it barely got started before freezing. 32 bit installed without a hitch. First time I've tried 64 bit software, but I wasn't expecting this. Am I missing something?
    Link to this post 20 May 11

I recently upgraded one of my computers to an AMD quad core, 3.0 ghz, 600 watt power supply, 16 gig of ram, an MSI 760GM. 64 bit mobo. and 500 gig HD. I downloaded the 64 bit rc version of Mint 11, and it would start to install and about 3/4 done would freeze. I then tried Mint 10 64 bit, and it barely got started before freezing. 32 bit installed without a hitch. First time I've tried 64 bit software, but I wasn't expecting this. Am I missing something?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board