• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 10 Jun 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • atreyu
    RE: How to enable Joliet file system support?
    Check the contents of your /etc/fstab for an entry for the cdrom. If there is one, post it. Maybe it is wrong, or needs to be commented out.
    Link to this post 13 May 11

Check the contents of your /etc/fstab for an entry for the cdrom. If there is one, post it. Maybe it is wrong, or needs to be commented out.

• atreyu
    RE: Linux woes
    Your internet connection is probably an easy thing to fix (esp. if not wireless!) so you could try to fix that first, if you don't want to go thru the hassle of reinstalling an OS (and it is something you'll need to learn how to do anyway). How is your internet being provided to you (are you on a LAN connected to a wireless router, etc.). Start simple and show the output of some commands: [code] cat /etc/network/interfaces (shows saved IP configuration) ifconfig (shows state of currently configured network devices) route -n (shows state of IP routing table) ethtool (at the bottom, shows whether a physical link is detected) ls /sys/class/net (shows physically detected network devices, and the loopback adapter) [/code] You're on the right track sticking w/a popular distro, too. Ubuntu is certainly good. I like Fedora too (lots of community support). Another very popular one with the n00bs is Linux Mint.

Your internet connection is probably an easy thing to fix (esp. if not wireless!) so you could try to fix that first, if you don't want to go thru the hassle of reinstalling an OS (and it is something you'll need to learn how to do anyway). How is your internet being provided to you (are you on a LAN connected to a wireless router, etc.). Start simple and show the output of some commands:

cat /etc/network/interfaces (shows saved IP configuration)
    ifconfig (shows state of currently configured network devices)
    route -n (shows state of IP routing table)
    ethtool (at the bottom, shows whether a physical link is detected)
    ls /sys/class/net (shows physically detected network devices, and the loopback adapter)

You're on the right track sticking w/a popular distro, too. Ubuntu is certainly good. I like Fedora too (lots of community support). Another very popular one with the n00bs is Linux Mint.

• atreyu
    just curious, have you tried mounting one of the CDs manually, versus letting the desktop/file manager, etc, doing it? something like: [code]sudo mount -v -t iso9960 -o ro /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom[/code] what errors do you get from that command, if any? Anything related in /var/log/messages or in the output of dmesg?

just curious, have you tried mounting one of the CDs manually, versus letting the desktop/file manager, etc, doing it? something like:

sudo mount -v -t iso9960 -o ro /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom

what errors do you get from that command, if any? Anything related in /var/log/messages or in the output of dmesg?

• atreyu
    Well, the short answer to "How to enable joliet fs support" is - recompile your kernel. But that may not be necessary, it might already be enabled. If it isn't, maybe there is a kernel package for your Linux distro that contains that module (I think Joliet is an MS extension to ISO9660). But first, try to confirm whether or not it is enabled already. Run this command to see if this file exists on your system: [code]ls /proc/config.gz[/code] This file contains the configuration of your currently running kernel. If it is there, try this: [code]cat /proc/config.gz|gunzip|grep -i joliet[/code] On my system, for example, (Fedora 8), it returns: CONFIG_JOLIET=y If that file is not in /proc, you can also try this command to see if a static copy of your kernel config exists in /boot: [code]ls /boot/config-`uname -r`[/code] If this file exists, then try: [code]cat /boot/config-`uname -r`|grep -i joliet[/code] If you do indeed have Joliet support, I'm not sure what is going on. If you have neither of those files, maybe an Ubuntu pro here can help you determine whether or not you already have support. If you definitely do NOT have support enabled, then you need to either recompile your kernel, or find a Linux distro that already has support built into the kernel provided (as I mentioned, Fedora apparently does). One other thing to note, Joliet/ISO9960 support can either built into the kernel, or built separately, as a module. Look in this directory for filesystems supported by your kernel: [code]/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/fs[/code] In there you might see a directory named iso9660. If so, you can try this command and see what happens: [code]modprobe iso9660[/code] but that should be done automatically for you when you inserted a CD. If you decide to recompile your kernel, don't be too daunted - it's not so gory these days and we can help. [b]EDIT:[/b] I just booted Kubuntu 10.10 Live and sure enough, there does appear to be Joliet support built into the kernel. To try and emulate your problem, I attempted to create an ISO image with Joliet extensions, then I burned it to CD. I was able to mount it in the Kubuntu system, though. Perhaps you could explain more precisely how you've written these CDs - ie., what OS, what app did you use, etc.

Well, the short answer to "How to enable joliet fs support" is - recompile your kernel. But that may not be necessary, it might already be enabled. If it isn't, maybe there is a kernel package for your Linux distro that contains that module (I think Joliet is an MS extension to ISO9660). But first, try to confirm whether or not it is enabled already.

Run this command to see if this file exists on your system:

ls /proc/config.gz

This file contains the configuration of your currently running kernel. If it is there, try this:
    cat /proc/config.gz|gunzip|grep -i joliet

On my system, for example, (Fedora 8), it returns:
    CONFIG_JOLIET=y

If that file is not in /proc, you can also try this command to see if a static copy of your kernel config exists in /boot:

ls /boot/config-`uname -r`

If this file exists, then try:
    cat /boot/config-`uname -r`|grep -i joliet

If you do indeed have Joliet support, I'm not sure what is going on. If you have neither of those files, maybe an Ubuntu pro here can help you determine whether or not you already have support.

If you definitely do NOT have support enabled, then you need to either recompile your kernel, or find a Linux distro that already has support built into the kernel provided (as I mentioned, Fedora apparently does).

One other thing to note, Joliet/ISO9960 support can either built into the kernel, or built separately, as a module. Look in this directory for filesystems supported by your kernel:

/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/fs

In there you might see a directory named iso9660. If so, you can try this command and see what happens:

modprobe iso9660

but that should be done automatically for you when you inserted a CD.

If you decide to recompile your kernel, don't be too daunted - it's not so gory these days and we can help.

EDIT:
    I just booted Kubuntu 10.10 Live and sure enough, there does appear to be Joliet support built into the kernel. To try and emulate your problem, I attempted to create an ISO image with Joliet extensions, then I burned it to CD. I was able to mount it in the Kubuntu system, though. Perhaps you could explain more precisely how you've written these CDs - ie., what OS, what app did you use, etc.

• atreyu
    RE: Printing code in color to color printer?
    i just gave up and used gedit - never used fileutil tho. if i get time... EDIT: or, it can be done right in vim, i've just learned. cool. this is one of several ways to do it w/vim that worked for me: [code]vim -me -e -c ":hardcopy >%.ps" -c ":q" test.sh lp -d COLOR_PRINTER_NAME test.sh.ps[/code] more at [url]http://aplawrence.com/Girish/vim-tips.html[/url] for anyone interested...

i just gave up and used gedit - never used fileutil tho. if i get time...

EDIT: or, it can be done right in vim, i've just learned. cool. this is one of several ways to do it w/vim that worked for me:

vim -me -e -c ":hardcopy >%.ps" -c ":q" test.sh
    lp -d COLOR_PRINTER_NAME test.sh.ps

more at http://aplawrence.com/Girish/vim-tips.html for anyone interested...

• atreyu
    Printing code in color to color printer?
    Hey, Someone once showed me a simple command line way to print a file of code (Perl, Bash, etc.) on a color printer that honored the syntax highlighting. I have since forgotten it - anyone know what this might have been? thx

Hey,

Someone once showed me a simple command line way to print a file of code (Perl, Bash, etc.) on a color printer that honored the syntax highlighting. I have since forgotten it - anyone know what this might have been?

thx

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board