• Last Logged In: 19 Mar 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • E.Ville
    RE: linux suggestion.
    [b]cyberkid1987 wrote:[/b] [quote]thanx guys for your suggestion..... i installed ubuntu 10.10 today.. it looked nice.....but i think its little slow..... and one more thing.........guys plz tell me how to install a downloaded software ...... and i want to know more about linux.........any tutorial or study material,book recomendation????[/quote] If Ubuntu is to slow for your tastes I recommend Linux Mint or Xubuntu, both are lightweight variations upon Ubuntu. If you want to install software on Ubuntu it's alway easiest to use the Ubuntu Software Center, found under applications or by using apt-get from the command line. To really learn Linux would suggest reading a few quick-start guides, I saw someone already posted a couple and to just experiment from there on onwards. Remember: the man command is your friend. (man i short for manual, man 'command' gives a good explanation of 'command' ) And also: don't be afraid to ask for help, the Linux/Ubuntu community is always willing to help.
    Link to this post 20 Mar 11

cyberkid1987 wrote:

thanx guys for your suggestion.....
    i installed ubuntu 10.10 today..
    it looked nice.....but i think its little slow.....
    and one more thing.........guys plz tell me how to install a downloaded software ......
    and i want to know more about linux.........any tutorial or study material,book recomendation????

If Ubuntu is to slow for your tastes I recommend Linux Mint or Xubuntu, both are lightweight variations upon Ubuntu.
    If you want to install software on Ubuntu it's alway easiest to use the Ubuntu Software Center, found under applications or by using apt-get from the command line.
    To really learn Linux would suggest reading a few quick-start guides, I saw someone already posted a couple and to just experiment from there on onwards. Remember: the man command is your friend. (man i short for manual, man 'command' gives a good explanation of 'command' )

And also: don't be afraid to ask for help, the Linux/Ubuntu community is always willing to help.

• E.Ville
    The best filesystem for a (laptop) SSD?
    I've recently purchased an SSD (OCZ Vertex 2, 40g, MLC) to be used in my laptop. My laptop is used intensively, it's my typewriter at school and my plaything when I get home but it's still a laptop and as such it won't be seeing massive I/O and huge backups (I backup my notes and code daily/weekly, but that hardly counts). Now I never really bothered with the filesystemtype, I used ext4 for everything as it's recommended most, but with my new SSD I want to do things right. (which may be Ext4) What I find most important on my laptop is the boot time, battery life and the SSDs life. Stability is less of a concern for me because as I said it is also my plaything so I'm used to stuff breaking down. After reading [url=http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2638_large&num=5]this[/url] I would say JFS is the best choice, it's generally a great performer and I heard it's also very power efficient. However, I do still have a few questions on which I hope you could enlighten me:[ol][li]JFS is a journaled filesystem, and it's been said this significantly reduces the lifetime of an SSD: is this true? And if so, can you have JFS without journaling? [url=http://robert.penz.name/137/no-swap-partition-journaling-filesystem-on-a-ssd/]this guy[/url] claims the effects are trivial but he uses SLCs in his calculations.[/li] [li]Is the efficiency of JFS really noticable? (i.e. will I get some extra minutes out of my battery?)[/li] [li]SSDs perform better when there's less data on the drive, so should I instead go for a compressed FS, do these boot faster (less data to load) or slower (decompressing)? and do these filesystems drain my battery?[/li][/ol] any input is appreciated.
    Link to this post 20 Mar 11

I've recently purchased an SSD (OCZ Vertex 2, 40g, MLC) to be used in my laptop.
    My laptop is used intensively, it's my typewriter at school and my plaything when I get home but it's still a laptop and as such it won't be seeing massive I/O and huge backups (I backup my notes and code daily/weekly, but that hardly counts).
    Now I never really bothered with the filesystemtype, I used ext4 for everything as it's recommended most, but with my new SSD I want to do things right. (which may be Ext4)

What I find most important on my laptop is the boot time, battery life and the SSDs life. Stability is less of a concern for me because as I said it is also my plaything so I'm used to stuff breaking down.
    After reading this I would say JFS is the best choice, it's generally a great performer and I heard it's also very power efficient.
    However, I do still have a few questions on which I hope you could enlighten me:[ol][li]JFS is a journaled filesystem, and it's been said this significantly reduces the lifetime of an SSD: is this true? And if so, can you have JFS without journaling? this guy claims the effects are trivial but he uses SLCs in his calculations.[/li]
    [li]Is the efficiency of JFS really noticable? (i.e. will I get some extra minutes out of my battery?)[/li]
    [li]SSDs perform better when there's less data on the drive, so should I instead go for a compressed FS, do these boot faster (less data to load) or slower (decompressing)? and do these filesystems drain my battery?[/li][/ol] any input is appreciated.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board