• Last Logged In: 24 May 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • MatthewFarmer47
    Yo fellow Linux users!
    Hi everyone, I have been using Ubuntu for the past 2 years and actually been on these forums before. I have contemplated whether or not to actually get into Linux for a profession. I have met some Linux system administrators and they seem to be successful. Not sure if I want to be a system admin or not, but I would like to know where to start if I plan to get a job with Linux. I have Centos installed on my other hard drive which I believe is the distribution to have if you honestly want to learn Linux. Should I just learn from a book and if so can anyone recommend a book? -Matthew
    Link to this post 24 May 13

Hi everyone,

I have been using Ubuntu for the past 2 years and actually been on these forums before. I have contemplated whether or not to actually get into Linux for a profession. I have met some Linux system administrators and they seem to be successful. Not sure if I want to be a system admin or not, but I would like to know where to start if I plan to get a job with Linux. I have Centos installed on my other hard drive which I believe is the distribution to have if you honestly want to learn Linux.

Should I just learn from a book and if so can anyone recommend a book?

-Matthew

• MatthewFarmer47
    RE: Grub error
    Sorry. Won't happen again.
    Link to this post 22 May 13

Sorry. Won't happen again.

• MatthewFarmer47
    Grub error
    Hello, (not sure where to post this so I also posted it in another area) So, I recently had some hardware installed on my PC and someone selected a previous version of Ubuntu while at the boot menu and then powered it off. When I started the PC I selected Windows 7 with no problem. I later Selected Ubuntu and saw some type of error and decided that I would just go back to Windows. After restarting the computer it went a black screen saying "grub error". I have no idea what to do now. I did just find this on the computer I'm currently on at work (which has no volume). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RY43243ioQ If anyone has any advice to fix my partitioned hard drive from "grub error" please help me. A video would be ideal so I can see it at the same time, but I am in no position to be picky. I'll take what I can get. Thanks, -Matthew
    Link to this post 22 May 13

Hello,

(not sure where to post this so I also posted it in another area)

So, I recently had some hardware installed on my PC and someone selected a previous version of Ubuntu while at the boot menu and then powered it off. When I started the PC I selected Windows 7 with no problem. I later Selected Ubuntu and saw some type of error and decided that I would just go back to Windows. After restarting the computer it went a black screen saying "grub error". I have no idea what to do now.

I did just find this on the computer I'm currently on at work (which has no volume).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RY43243ioQ

If anyone has any advice to fix my partitioned hard drive from "grub error" please help me.
    A video would be ideal so I can see it at the same time, but I am in no position to be picky. I'll take what I can get.

Thanks,

-Matthew

• MatthewFarmer47
    RE: Ubuntu update problem
    Nevermind, I just got it fixed! I went to system settings and found the proprietary settings and fized it. I didn't know where it was or else I would have like you said in the first place portaro thanks guys
    Link to this post 23 May 12

Nevermind, I just got it fixed!
    I went to system settings and found the proprietary settings and fized it. I didn't know where it was or else I would have like you said in the first place portaro

thanks guys

• MatthewFarmer47
    RE: Ubuntu update problem
    Thanks guys for the help, but I still cannot get it to work. Goineasy - I PC is very capable of handling any of todays software or operating systems. pottaro - I put it into safe mode as I have it now and I ran < Ctrl-Alt-F1> and it took me to that black screen asking me for login and password. I don't know what it's talking about there. I am the only user and the only other time it asked me for my name is when I get into Ubuntu and it already says my user name. I typed in my name which I thought would be the user and then my password to get into Ubuntu and that didn't work.
    Link to this post 23 May 12

Thanks guys for the help, but I still cannot get it to work.

Goineasy - I PC is very capable of handling any of todays software or operating systems.

pottaro - I put it into safe mode as I have it now and I ran < Ctrl-Alt-F1> and it took me to that black screen asking me for login and password. I don't know what it's talking about there. I am the only user and the only other time it asked me for my name is when I get into Ubuntu and it already says my user name. I typed in my name which I thought would be the user and then my password to get into Ubuntu and that didn't work.

• MatthewFarmer47
    Ubuntu update problem
    I recently updated to 12.04, but now whenever I turn my computer on it goes into just that blank darkish purple screen right before the actual desktop appears and stays there. It will make a noise indicating that I need to login with my password but it is still bank. So I tried typinh my password in anyway, but it's still doing nothing. The only way I can use Ubuntu is to go through "recovery mode". Any tips? -Mattehw
    Link to this post 08 May 12

I recently updated to 12.04, but now whenever I turn my computer on it goes into just that blank darkish purple screen right before the actual desktop appears and stays there. It will make a noise indicating that I need to login with my password but it is still bank. So I tried typinh my password in anyway, but it's still doing nothing. The only way I can use Ubuntu is to go through "recovery mode".

Any tips?

-Mattehw

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board