• Last Logged In: 24 May 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • MatthewFarmer47
    Where should I start...literally?
    Hey everyone I've returned. I have not had much success on learning Linux with the DVD's I purchased. The guy just talks a lot and does not show any examples. So I have no idea what he is talking about. I have Ubuntu and CentOS both installed and I'm just wondering how should I go about learning Linux. I would like to learn Linux good enough to become a system admin, but what should I do to start? Buy a book on specifically about Linux? I use Ubuntu everyday. -Matthew
    Link to this post 31 Jan 12

Hey everyone I've returned. I have not had much success on learning Linux with the DVD's I purchased. The guy just talks a lot and does not show any examples. So I have no idea what he is talking about. I have Ubuntu and CentOS both installed and I'm just wondering how should I go about learning Linux. I would like to learn Linux good enough to become a system admin, but what should I do to start? Buy a book on specifically about Linux? I use Ubuntu everyday.

-Matthew

• MatthewFarmer47
    RE: I need a media player!
    Hey guys I apologize for the late response. I became really busy with my work and hobbies, but I'm back. I must say that I'm still confused on how to install a media player. I am grateful for everyone's efforts in explaining it to me so far, but when you mention terms that you must know linux somewhat than I am very confused. I have UBUNTU and can use it well, but it is very user friendly like Windows. I want to be able to use CentOS6 like you guys do, but I'm starting out with a DVD that teaches me how to use it and I can't play it on here without understanding how to install a media player. This is much more complex than I expected. However, I don't want to give up yet so please if you can still attempt to help me I would appreciate it everyone. P.S. - I installed Kaffine -Matthew
    Link to this post 27 Oct 11

Hey guys I apologize for the late response. I became really busy with my work and hobbies, but I'm back. I must say that I'm still confused on how to install a media player. I am grateful for everyone's efforts in explaining it to me so far, but when you mention terms that you must know linux somewhat than I am very confused. I have UBUNTU and can use it well, but it is very user friendly like Windows. I want to be able to use CentOS6 like you guys do, but I'm starting out with a DVD that teaches me how to use it and I can't play it on here without understanding how to install a media player. This is much more complex than I expected.

However, I don't want to give up yet so please if you can still attempt to help me I would appreciate it everyone.

P.S. - I installed Kaffine

-Matthew

• MatthewFarmer47
    Thanks for the effort Sims, but an error came up when I tried it. However I do believe I'm a little closer to getting a DVD to play now that I tried Goineasy9's advice. I got "videolan" downloaded and then I tried to play the DVD, but it still says that I need a source plug-in. On the 3rd link you provided me I tried to download the free & non-free, but I got errors from both as I tried. I'm almost there so any more help would be much appreciated. Thanks Sims and Goineasy9
    Link to this post 13 Oct 11

Thanks for the effort Sims, but an error came up when I tried it. However I do believe I'm a little closer to getting a DVD to play now that I tried Goineasy9's advice. I got "videolan" downloaded and then I tried to play the DVD, but it still says that I need a source plug-in.

On the 3rd link you provided me I tried to download the free & non-free, but I got errors from both as I tried.

I'm almost there so any more help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Sims and Goineasy9

• MatthewFarmer47
    Sorry if I come off ignorant, but I just don't understand what the directions are saying. I don't understand code yet and it seems that I have to input some code to install it. Can you please explain it how to install it, but as if you are explaining it for someone who is only used to Windows or complete beginner. I appreciate your help.
    Link to this post 12 Oct 11

Sorry if I come off ignorant, but I just don't understand what the directions are saying. I don't understand code yet and it seems that I have to input some code to install it. Can you please explain it how to install it, but as if you are explaining it for someone who is only used to Windows or complete beginner.

I appreciate your help.

• MatthewFarmer47
    I need a media player!
    I have finally gotten CentOS 6.0 64 bit installed! I want to start my training with the DVD's I ordered, but there is one problem...I cannot play any DVD's on this OS. I am thinking it just doesn't have one to start with. I have heard of "xine", but I don't understand how to download it. Can anyone please help me install a media player. Please give me links and easy to understand directions, because I'm completely new to this. I'm just so used to a more user friendly operating system. Thanks in advance.
    Link to this post 12 Oct 11

I have finally gotten CentOS 6.0 64 bit installed!
    I want to start my training with the DVD's I ordered, but there is one problem...I cannot play any DVD's on this OS. I am thinking it just doesn't have one to start with. I have heard of "xine", but I don't understand how to download it.

Can anyone please help me install a media player. Please give me links and easy to understand directions, because I'm completely new to this. I'm just so used to a more user friendly operating system.

Thanks in advance.

• MatthewFarmer47
    RE: UBUNTU or CentOS
    Thanks a lot "woboyle". That was very informative. I feel a little more knowledgeable about Linux now. Thanks to everyone else of course too. -Matthew
    Link to this post 04 Sep 11

Thanks a lot "woboyle". That was very informative. I feel a little more knowledgeable about Linux now.
    Thanks to everyone else of course too.

-Matthew

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board