• Last Logged In: 09 Apr 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • 5slight
    RE: Mediatomb Mysql Socket!
    I have read most of the manual thats relevant i think. i can't find anything referring to mysql sockets. I have managed to get it to work by making my mysql server start using /tmp/mysql.sock. Is this a sensible idea or should i continue to find a way to make mediatomb use a different socket? Also my next problem is making my clients find it. If i disable iptables i can get it to find it and play something then i can re-enable iptables and it will continue to play. I think this is to do with the protocol igmp. [code] # Enable Mediatomb $ip -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 49152 -j ACCEPT $ip -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 49152 -j ACCEPT $ip -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 49152 -j ACCEPT $ip -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp --sport 49152 -j ACCEPT $ip -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 1900 -j ACCEPT $ip -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp --sport 1900 -j ACCEPT $ip -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1900 -j ACCEPT $ip -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 1900 -j ACCEPT $ip -A INPUT -p igmp -j ACCEPT $ip -A OUTPUT -p igmp -j ACCEPT [/code] When i check the status igmp doesn't show!
    Link to this post 09 Apr 11

I have read most of the manual thats relevant i think. i can't find anything referring to mysql sockets. I have managed to get it to work by making my mysql server start using /tmp/mysql.sock. Is this a sensible idea or should i continue to find a way to make mediatomb use a different socket?

Also my next problem is making my clients find it. If i disable iptables i can get it to find it and play something then i can re-enable iptables and it will continue to play. I think this is to do with the protocol igmp.

# Enable Mediatomb
    $ip -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 49152 -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 49152 -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 49152 -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp --sport 49152 -j ACCEPT

$ip -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 1900 -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp --sport 1900 -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1900 -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 1900 -j ACCEPT

$ip -A INPUT -p igmp -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A OUTPUT -p igmp -j ACCEPT

When i check the status igmp doesn't show!

• 5slight
    Mediatomb Mysql Socket!
    I have installed mediatomb on my Linux From Scratch server. I have compiled it to use mysql not msqlite as i don't want to have multiple database servers running. My problem is that when i execute mediatomb i get this: [code] 2011-04-07 08:43:48 ERROR: The connection to the MySQL database has failed: mysql_error (2002): "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)" [/code] My mysql socket is set to /var/lib/mysql in the config file. I have no problem connecting to this via mysql client on the system. I need to know how to configure mediatomb to use that file. Thanks in advance! :D
    Link to this post 07 Apr 11

I have installed mediatomb on my Linux From Scratch server. I have compiled it to use mysql not msqlite as i don't want to have multiple database servers running. My problem is that when i execute mediatomb i get this:

2011-04-07 08:43:48 ERROR: The connection to the MySQL database has failed: mysql_error (2002): "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)"

My mysql socket is set to /var/lib/mysql in the config file. I have no problem connecting to this via mysql client on the system. I need to know how to configure mediatomb to use that file.
    Thanks in advance! :D

• 5slight
    RE: iptables is blocking wget [SOLVED]
    I fixed it completely now I replaced [code] $ip -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT [/code] with [code] $ip -A INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT [/code] thanks for your help
    Link to this post 02 Apr 11

I fixed it completely now

I replaced

$ip -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

with

$ip -A INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

thanks for your help

• 5slight
    Ok I have added the Output rules and still nothing for HTTP but i tried the ftp and that worked fine. Really confused as to why this isn't working.

Ok I have added the Output rules and still nothing for HTTP but i tried the ftp and that worked fine. Really confused as to why this isn't working.

• 5slight
    yep that's exactly what i'm planning to do with it. I will try putting the output rules in. I did have them before but then i read that you can set output to accept on established connections. Which is what i have got but on second though that wont work for this as i need to output the request before a connection can be established.

yep that's exactly what i'm planning to do with it. I will try putting the output rules in. I did have them before but then i read that you can set output to accept on established connections. Which is what i have got but on second though that wont work for this as i need to output the request before a connection can be established.

• 5slight
    RE: need help with amsn!!
    Yeah i agree i have never found a alternative to windows live messenger that works as well as it. Skype also have a linux version maybe give that a try!

Yeah i agree i have never found a alternative to windows live messenger that works as well as it. Skype also have a linux version maybe give that a try!

• 5slight
    RE: Ubuntu Server and Windows question. SOLVED
    When i first started using Linux as a server i started with fedora and use to spend hours looking for a gui tool to do everything but eventually i found that it was just not working. In the long run you will properly find yourself using the command line more and more till eventually you wont need the gui!

When i first started using Linux as a server i started with fedora and use to spend hours looking for a gui tool to do everything but eventually i found that it was just not working.

In the long run you will properly find yourself using the command line more and more till eventually you wont need the gui!

• 5slight
    RE: Bringing a Native Linux Dreamweaver to attention
    It looks very similar to eclipse. Does it have ftp access and all that good stuff?

It looks very similar to eclipse. Does it have ftp access and all that good stuff?

• 5slight
    RE: upgrade my website without disturbing current load
    w3schools is very useful for anything related to web design. They show how to use most of the basic functions you would need for any SQL database server. I also use phpmyadmin and its very good. it depends on what you want to change but it shouldn't effect your website to much for must things you would want to do. Unless you drop a table :\.

w3schools is very useful for anything related to web design. They show how to use most of the basic functions you would need for any SQL database server. I also use phpmyadmin and its very good. it depends on what you want to change but it shouldn't effect your website to much for must things you would want to do. Unless you drop a table :\.

• 5slight
    iptables is blocking wget [SOLVED]
    I got an issue with my linux from scratch system. I have managed to get it all runnning fine with networking and ssh. My problem has come when setting up a firewall with IpTables. This my first time using IpTables as im use to using the simple UFW tool in ubuntu. It was all going well until i tried to use wget. when i try and use wget this is what happens: [code][someone@somewhere:~]# wget http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/js185-1.0.0.tar.gz --2011-04-02 10:11:30-- http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/js185-1.0.0.tar.gz Resolving ftp.mozilla.org... 63.245.209.125 Connecting to ftp.mozilla.org|63.245.209.125|:80... [/code] this is my iptables script: [code] # message echo -n ">>Applying firewall rules... " # flush current rules $ip -F $ip -X $ip -Z # Accept packets belonging to established and related connections $ip -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT # Allow FTP connections @ port 21 $ip -A INPUT -p tcp --sport 21 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT $ip -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 21 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT # Allow Active FTP Connections $ip -A INPUT -p tcp --sport 20 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT $ip -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 20 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT # Allow Passive FTP Connections $ip -A INPUT -p tcp --sport 1024: --dport 1024: -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT $ip -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 1024: --dport 1024: -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT #Enable DNS $ip -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 53 --dport 1024:65535 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT $ip -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --sport 53 --dport 1024:65535 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT $ip -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 1024:65535 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT $ip -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp --sport 1024:65535 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT # Enable SSH $ip -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT $ip -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 22 -j ACCEPT # Enable HTTP and HTTPS $ip -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 1024:65535 --dport 80 -j ACCEPT $ip -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 1024:65535 --dport 443 -j ACCEPT # Enable PING $ip -A INPUT -p icmp -m icmp -j ACCEPT $ip -A OUTPUT -p icmp -m icmp -j ACCEPT # Default to DROP all $ip -P INPUT DROP $ip -P OUTPUT DROP $ip -P FORWARD DROP #Allow Loop Back $ip -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT $ip -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT echo "Done!" [/code] I have checked my kernel configuration and all the nessersery networking bits have been compiled into it. If i set the Pollicy to INPUT ALLOW OUTPUT ALLOW FORWARD DROP wget works then. thanks in advance!

I got an issue with my linux from scratch system. I have managed to get it all runnning fine with networking and ssh. My problem has come when setting up a firewall with IpTables. This my first time using IpTables as im use to using the simple UFW tool in ubuntu.

It was all going well until i tried to use wget.

when i try and use wget this is what happens:

[someone@somewhere:~]# wget http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/js185-1.0.0.tar.gz
    --2011-04-02 10:11:30-- http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/js185-1.0.0.tar.gz
    Resolving ftp.mozilla.org... 63.245.209.125
    Connecting to ftp.mozilla.org|63.245.209.125|:80...

this is my iptables script:

# message
    echo -n ">>Applying firewall rules... "

# flush current rules
    $ip -F
    $ip -X
    $ip -Z

# Accept packets belonging to established and related connections
    $ip -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

# Allow FTP connections @ port 21
    $ip -A INPUT -p tcp --sport 21 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 21 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

# Allow Active FTP Connections
    $ip -A INPUT -p tcp --sport 20 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 20 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

# Allow Passive FTP Connections
    $ip -A INPUT -p tcp --sport 1024: --dport 1024: -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 1024: --dport 1024: -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

#Enable DNS
    $ip -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 53 --dport 1024:65535 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --sport 53 --dport 1024:65535 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 1024:65535 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp --sport 1024:65535 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

# Enable SSH
    $ip -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 22 -j ACCEPT

# Enable HTTP and HTTPS
    $ip -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 1024:65535 --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

$ip -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 1024:65535 --dport 443 -j ACCEPT

# Enable PING
    $ip -A INPUT -p icmp -m icmp -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A OUTPUT -p icmp -m icmp -j ACCEPT

# Default to DROP all
    $ip -P INPUT DROP
    $ip -P OUTPUT DROP
    $ip -P FORWARD DROP

#Allow Loop Back
    $ip -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
    $ip -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT
    echo "Done!"

I have checked my kernel configuration and all the nessersery networking bits have been compiled into it.

If i set the Pollicy to
    INPUT ALLOW
    OUTPUT ALLOW
    FORWARD DROP

wget works then.

thanks in advance!

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board