• Last Logged In: 14 Sep 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • kerneldaemon
    RE: not whoami, but whowasi?
    For me running Fedora 15, having su'd to root, "whoami" tells me that I am root. If you type "w" it will report who is logged in, so if it's just you and root logged in you can deduce who you were from that. Otherwise try "logname", even when su'd it reports my user account not the superuser. sudo su is something I have only ever done on an Ubuntu system to change the root account password.
    Link to this post 04 Aug 11

For me running Fedora 15, having su'd to root, "whoami" tells me that I am root. If you type "w" it will report who is logged in, so if it's just you and root logged in you can deduce who you were from that.

Otherwise try "logname", even when su'd it reports my user account not the superuser.

sudo su is something I have only ever done on an Ubuntu system to change the root account password.

• kerneldaemon
    RE: Gnome3 on Squeeze
    I gave up on squeeze, gnome 3 was not my only issue with the distro, I lack the skills and patience to iron them out right now so jumped to fedora 15. I had squeeze on my laptop (Dell Studio) and recently banished windoze 7 for Ubuntu 11.4 on the family PC so for the most part I have been using unity recently. Gnome 3 by comparison is awesome! I am really really really into gnome 3 right now, for a terrible moment I was considering KDE (again) but now there is no need! There is a whole bunch of stuff missing from Gnome 3 at the moment I feel but very happy regardless.
    Link to this post 28 May 11

I gave up on squeeze, gnome 3 was not my only issue with the distro, I lack the skills and patience to iron them out right now so jumped to fedora 15. I had squeeze on my laptop (Dell Studio) and recently banished windoze 7 for Ubuntu 11.4 on the family PC so for the most part I have been using unity recently. Gnome 3 by comparison is awesome! I am really really really into gnome 3 right now, for a terrible moment I was considering KDE (again) but now there is no need!

There is a whole bunch of stuff missing from Gnome 3 at the moment I feel but very happy regardless.

• kerneldaemon
    Very interested if you get it working! I have Fedora 15 running from a fob, it has defaulted to the low fat Gnome 3 but even that is beautiful compared to Unity!
    Link to this post 26 May 11

Very interested if you get it working! I have Fedora 15 running from a fob, it has defaulted to the low fat Gnome 3 but even that is beautiful compared to Unity!

• kerneldaemon
    Thanks, that all sounds a bit out of my depth for right now so I guess it's another distro time :-) Would you recomend Fedora 15 over the OpenSuse 11.4 option? Cheers :-)
    Link to this post 08 May 11

Thanks, that all sounds a bit out of my depth for right now so I guess it's another distro time :-)

Would you recomend Fedora 15 over the OpenSuse 11.4 option?

Cheers :-)

• kerneldaemon
    Gnome3 on Squeeze
    Has anyone managed to get Gnome3 working on Squeeze?
    Link to this post 08 May 11

Has anyone managed to get Gnome3 working on Squeeze?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board