• Last Logged In: 04 Jun

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • harv42
    RE: DNS Clients
    Put it anywhere in $PATH (echo $PATH) ie /usr/local/ and call it with a cron job example: # run at 2:15pm on the first of every month 15 14 1 * * $HOME/bin/monthly See man 5 crontab for more info. harv
    Link to this post 01 Jun

Put it anywhere in $PATH (echo $PATH) ie /usr/local/ and call it with a cron job
    example:
    # run at 2:15pm on the first of every month
    15 14 1 * * $HOME/bin/monthly

See man 5 crontab for more info.

harv

• harv42
    RE: ZTE LTE modem model MF821
    Doesn't look like you need drivers. Do you have usb_modeswitch and usb_modeswitch-data packages installed. Quite a few hits at opensuse forums for configuring usb modems http://forums.opensuse.org/forum.php And many more found through search engine. If none of those help maybe posting your question on opensuse forums with output of lsusb and any other info that you might think would be helpful might be more productive. Else wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to come along.
    Link to this post 15 Nov 13

Doesn't look like you need drivers.
    Do you have usb_modeswitch and usb_modeswitch-data packages installed.

Quite a few hits at opensuse forums for configuring usb modems

http://forums.opensuse.org/forum.php

And many more found through search engine.

If none of those help maybe posting your question on opensuse forums with output of lsusb and any other info that you might think would be helpful might be more productive.

Else wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to come along.

• harv42
    RE: error occurred when making linux kernel 3.12
    If you want to learn the kernel you should download the kernel source and build it from scratch. Also see if this series of articles may be of help in understanding the kernel: http://www.linux.org/threads/%EF%BB%BFthe-linux-kernel-introduction.4203/ It is mentioned in the above articles but you can download the kernel source code here: https://www.kernel.org/ Incidently, the kernel at its simplest is just an interface between the hardware and the software- basically useless on its own.
    Link to this post 14 Nov 13

If you want to learn the kernel you should download the kernel source and build it from scratch.
    Also see if this series of articles may be of help in understanding the kernel:

http://www.linux.org/threads/%EF%BB%BFthe-linux-kernel-introduction.4203/

It is mentioned in the above articles but you can download the kernel source code here:

https://www.kernel.org/

Incidently, the kernel at its simplest is just an interface between the hardware and the software- basically useless on its own.

• harv42
    RE: I want to know the dependence Java.
    If I wanted to know what depends on java I would try this command: #rpm -q --whatrequires java or whatever the full name of the java package is on your system. Else, if I mis-understood the question and you want to know what java depends on, I'd try: #rpm -q -R java You may also want to look at the rpmdeps man page.
    Link to this post 14 Nov 13

If I wanted to know what depends on java I would try this command:
    #rpm -q --whatrequires java
    or whatever the full name of the java package is on your system.

Else, if I mis-understood the question and you want to know what java depends on, I'd try:

#rpm -q -R java

You may also want to look at the rpmdeps man page.

• harv42
    RE: Nix Microsoft malware using Linux?
    Haven't used it in a while but Trinity Rescue Kit [trinityhome.org] might do what you want. From the site: Here 's a sumup of some of the most important features, new and old: -easily reset windows passwords with the improved winpass tool -simple and easy menu interface -5 different virusscan products integrated in a single uniform commandline with online update capability -full ntfs write support thanks to ntfs-3g -winclean, a utility that cleans up all sorts of unnecessary temporary files on your computer. -clone computers over the network via multicast. -wide range of hardware support (kernel 2.6.35 ) -contributed backup utility called "pi", to automate local machine backups -easy script to find and mount all local filesystems -self update capability to include and update all virusscanners + local changes you made to TRK. -full proxyserver support. -run a samba fileserver (windows like filesharing) -run a ssh server -recovery and undeletion of files with utilities and procedures -recovery of lost partitions -evacuation of dying disks -full read/write and rpm support -UTF-8 international character support (select keyboard language from the scrollable textmenu at startup) -2 rootkit detection uitilities Not mentioned above, but it does have a registry editor as well. It is commandline based so no pointy clicky graphics but has good documentation.
    Link to this post 31 Oct 13

Haven't used it in a while but Trinity Rescue Kit [trinityhome.org] might do what you want.
    From the site:
    Here 's a sumup of some of the most important features, new and old:

-easily reset windows passwords with the improved winpass tool
    -simple and easy menu interface
    -5 different virusscan products integrated in a single uniform commandline with online update capability
    -full ntfs write support thanks to ntfs-3g
    -winclean, a utility that cleans up all sorts of unnecessary temporary files on your computer.
    -clone computers over the network via multicast.
    -wide range of hardware support (kernel 2.6.35 )
    -contributed backup utility called "pi", to automate local machine backups
    -easy script to find and mount all local filesystems
    -self update capability to include and update all virusscanners + local changes you made to TRK.
    -full proxyserver support.
    -run a samba fileserver (windows like filesharing)
    -run a ssh server
    -recovery and undeletion of files with utilities and procedures
    -recovery of lost partitions
    -evacuation of dying disks
    -full read/write and rpm support
    -UTF-8 international character support (select keyboard language from the scrollable textmenu at startup)
    -2 rootkit detection uitilities

Not mentioned above, but it does have a registry editor as well.
    It is commandline based so no pointy clicky graphics but has good documentation.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board