Posted
  • Netbattler11
    RE: Open zip remotely
    yeah... Thanks anyway.
    Link to this post 25 Jul 11

yeah... Thanks anyway.

• Netbattler11
    Open zip remotely
    Is there a command to open a zip which is stored on the internet? Note that I don't want to dl the entire zip, just a specific file in the zip. Say the file is stored at www.random.com/foo.zip. How can I get thing.exe out without saving the entire foo.zip to hard drive? Thanks in advance.
    Link to this post 24 Jul 11

Is there a command to open a zip which is stored on the internet? Note that I don't want to dl the entire zip, just a specific file in the zip. Say the file is stored at www.random.com/foo.zip. How can I get thing.exe out without saving the entire foo.zip to hard drive? Thanks in advance.

• Netbattler11
    RE: Create data partition
    I am running Ubuntu 11.04. I have about 100 gigs left on my hard drive. Can i simply shrink my existing partition and use that as a blank space to create a new partition in? Also, once i have the new partition created and the data copied, can i then have ubuntu look for and save personal data in the new partition? Essentially i want the location of /home to be on the new partition. Thanks for the advice.
    Link to this post 19 Jul 11

I am running Ubuntu 11.04. I have about 100 gigs left on my hard drive. Can i simply shrink my existing partition and use that as a blank space to create a new partition in? Also, once i have the new partition created and the data copied, can i then have ubuntu look for and save personal data in the new partition? Essentially i want the location of /home to be on the new partition. Thanks for the advice.

• Netbattler11
    Create data partition
    Is there a way to create a data partition and transfer your current user data to it if you didn't select the option at installation? Thanks
    Link to this post 18 Jul 11

Is there a way to create a data partition and transfer your current user data to it if you didn't select the option at installation? Thanks

• Netbattler11
    alsa sound prefs location
    Is there a file which the alsa sound preferences are stored in, and if so, where is it?
    Link to this post 06 Jun 11

Is there a file which the alsa sound preferences are stored in, and if so, where is it?

• Netbattler11
    RE: Finding out what command is running a program
    Sorry, I should have done that in the first place. I am running Ubuntu 11.04 with the default file viewer.
    Link to this post 01 Jun 11

Sorry, I should have done that in the first place. I am running Ubuntu 11.04 with the default file viewer.

• Netbattler11
    RE: Finding out what command is running a program
    I didnt mean for the jar file specificly. Just whenever I say[b] open file with[/b] it would be nice to know which command is actually opening that file. Is there a way to do that, besides manually finding out what the commands for that program are?
    Link to this post 31 May 11

I didnt mean for the jar file specificly. Just whenever I say open file with it would be nice to know which command is actually opening that file. Is there a way to do that, besides manually finding out what the commands for that program are?

• Netbattler11
    Finding out what command is running a program
    Is there a way to find out what command is running a program when you click on it and run it graphically? My problem is with an executable jar file. When I right click on it in a graphical environment and choose to run it with the jre it runs fine. However, running java minecraft.jar from the command line results in this error: [code]Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: minecraft/jar Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: minecraft.jar at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321) at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266) Could not find the main class: minecraft.jar. Program will exit. [/code] I thought this may be a problem with the jar file, but if that is so why would it run with the graphical run method? What I would like is to find out exactly what command clicking "run with Sun Java 6 Runtime" is executing so that the file is working. Once I know that it should be possible to run that command manually, as well as from a .sh file. Thanks in advance. EDIT: The problem was simply that I was running the jar with incorrect syntax. The syntax for executable jars is java -jar foo.jar. It would still be nice to know the original question though.
    Link to this post 31 May 11

Is there a way to find out what command is running a program when you click on it and run it graphically? My problem is with an executable jar file. When I right click on it in a graphical environment and choose to run it with the jre it runs fine. However, running java minecraft.jar from the command line results in this error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: minecraft/jar
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: minecraft.jar
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)
    Could not find the main class: minecraft.jar. Program will exit.

I thought this may be a problem with the jar file, but if that is so why would it run with the graphical run method? What I would like is to find out exactly what command clicking "run with Sun Java 6 Runtime" is executing so that the file is working. Once I know that it should be possible to run that command manually, as well as from a .sh file.
    Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The problem was simply that I was running the jar with incorrect syntax. The syntax for executable jars is java -jar foo.jar. It would still be nice to know the original question though.

• Netbattler11
    RE: Ubuntu 11.04 hd0 out of disk boot error
    No, all of those except my optical drive show up at least 70% empty.
    Link to this post 19 May 11

No, all of those except my optical drive show up at least 70% empty.

• Netbattler11
    Ubuntu 11.04 hd0 out of disk boot error
    When I boot up ubuntu, I see the following error. [code]hd0 out of disk. Press any key to continue...[/code] However, after I press the key to acknowledge, it boots normally. There do not seem to be any adverse effects other than extending my boot time by a couple minutes, but I would like to know what is going on.
    Link to this post 18 May 11

When I boot up ubuntu, I see the following error.

hd0 out of disk.
    Press any key to continue...

However, after I press the key to acknowledge, it boots normally. There do not seem to be any adverse effects other than extending my boot time by a couple minutes, but I would like to know what is going on.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board