• Last Logged In: 24 Jul 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Tomas Ramirez
    documentation
    Hi, I'm relatively new to linux, and one thing I have trouble with is documentation. Are pro linux users expected to be reading source code for the _real_ documentation? I'm already a windows developer, but I'm still learning to develop on linux, and I want to be skilled like a pro. Here's a specific example. I was just trying to understand how to interpret the list that is printed when I run [code]yum check-update[/code] After searching the man page and yum website, I only saw a description of what the command does, but not how to interpret the output. I know it is supposed to list all packages with updates applied to them, but I do not simply get a list of names, I get a list in the format ' |
    Link to this post 02 Jan 12

Hi, I'm relatively new to linux, and one thing I have trouble with is documentation. Are pro linux users expected to be reading source code for the _real_ documentation? I'm already a windows developer, but I'm still learning to develop on linux, and I want to be skilled like a pro.

Here's a specific example. I was just trying to understand how to interpret the list that is printed when I run

yum check-update

After searching the man page and yum website, I only saw a description of what the command does, but not how to interpret the output. I know it is supposed to list all packages with updates applied to them, but I do not simply get a list of names, I get a list in the format '<name> | <size> <time>', followed by a list in the format <name> <number>/<number>. Here's an example:
    Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
    adobe-linux-i386 | 951 B 00:00
    adobe-linux-i386/primary | 11 kB 00:00
    fedora/metalink | 21 kB 00:00
    fedora | 4.2 kB 00:00
    fedora/primary_db | 12 MB 01:23
    fedora/group_gz | 431 kB 00:03
    spotify | 1.3 kB 00:00
    spotify/primary | 1.5 kB 00:00
    updates/metalink | 17 kB 00:00
    updates | 4.7 kB 00:00
    updates/primary_db | 2.9 MB 00:19
    updates/group_gz | 431 kB 00:02
    adobe-linux-i386 17/17
    spotify 3/3

Since there are two lists, I'm not sure what each one means. Plus, I want to know what the values in each column mean. I have guesses about all of this, but I want to be certain - you know?

• Tomas Ramirez
    RE: audio keys while screen is locked
    I had music playing and the screen locked, then someone came into my office to talk to me, and I wanted to just mute the box by pressing the mute key. Since the screen was locked (password required), I could not mute.
    Link to this post 07 Sep 11

I had music playing and the screen locked, then someone came into my office to talk to me, and I wanted to just mute the box by pressing the mute key. Since the screen was locked (password required), I could not mute.

• Tomas Ramirez
    audio keys while screen is locked
    Hi, is there a way to enable my audio keys while the screen is locked? I'm using Fedora 15 and Gnome 3.
    Link to this post 07 Sep 11

Hi, is there a way to enable my audio keys while the screen is locked? I'm using Fedora 15 and Gnome 3.

• Tomas Ramirez
    RE: Hosting Advice
    great, thanks again!
    Link to this post 01 Jun 11

great, thanks again!

• Tomas Ramirez
    Thanks for the info, Marc.
    Link to this post 30 May 11

Thanks for the info, Marc.

• Tomas Ramirez
    Thanks, Jabir. I think I'm looking for something like a cloud hosting service, but maybe I don't need to go that far? On resources, I mean I'm worried about incurring overage charges for disk space and bandwidth if my server gets hacked. Any comment on that?
    Link to this post 30 May 11

Thanks, Jabir. I think I'm looking for something like a cloud hosting service, but maybe I don't need to go that far?

On resources, I mean I'm worried about incurring overage charges for disk space and bandwidth if my server gets hacked. Any comment on that?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board