• Last Logged In: 30 Jan

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Richard Sims
    Good place for student programmers to help open source project
    I've seen a lot of other posts but was hoping to get input from the people on this forum regarding this. I'm a programming student that would like to get involved and help with debugging and patching open-source projects in my spare time to improve my C++ programming knowledge and skills while being productive at the same time, or at the very least attempting to be. It would be best if there were smaller projects or large projects with small programs broken down to de-bug, I'd be interested in most programs, specially if it's debian based as a avid ubuntu user. Was hoping for suggestions on where to find developers who would be willing to allow a student to help with their project the best I can. let me know, thanks guys.
    Link to this post 04 Jan 13

I've seen a lot of other posts but was hoping to get input from the people on this forum regarding this. I'm a programming student that would like to get involved and help with debugging and patching open-source projects in my spare time to improve my C++ programming knowledge and skills while being productive at the same time, or at the very least attempting to be.

It would be best if there were smaller projects or large projects with small programs broken down to de-bug, I'd be interested in most programs, specially if it's debian based as a avid ubuntu user.

Was hoping for suggestions on where to find developers who would be willing to allow a student to help with their project the best I can.

let me know, thanks guys.

• Richard Sims
    RE: Shortcut on desktop
    The answer to this depends on what GUI your using, whether your using ubuntu's default Unity, Gnome, LXDE or XFCE. I'm going to assume your in Unity. With unity you actually have options to do this, one is a traditional shortcut and the other, is to add it to the scrolling side bar. To add it to the side bar, simply do the following: go to Dash home, search for your application you want a shortcut to, and left click & hold to drag it over to your scrolling side bar. for the traditional approach, for whatever reason seems to be a bit more difficult then it should be, here is a link with many different ways to do it. I personally recommend if your using unity to stick with the side scroll launch panel. go here for alternative ways to make a desktop icon: [url=http://askubuntu.com/questions/64222/how-can-i-create-launchers-on-my-desktop]Ubuntu forum with alternatives and wiki on the subject of creating desktop items[/url]

The answer to this depends on what GUI your using, whether your using ubuntu's default Unity, Gnome, LXDE or XFCE.

I'm going to assume your in Unity. With unity you actually have options to do this, one is a traditional shortcut and the other, is to add it to the scrolling side bar.

To add it to the side bar, simply do the following:

go to Dash home, search for your application you want a shortcut to, and left click & hold to drag it over to your scrolling side bar.

for the traditional approach, for whatever reason seems to be a bit more difficult then it should be, here is a link with many different ways to do it. I personally recommend if your using unity to stick with the side scroll launch panel.

go here for alternative ways to make a desktop icon:

Ubuntu forum with alternatives and wiki on the subject of creating desktop items

• Richard Sims
    RE: New Good Install – Monitor Now Blank?
    I saw in some of the most recent updates that hibernate mode was disabled due to being un-stable. I'd assume it causes issues such as yours. Fully updating and verifying hibernate mode is turned off will most likely fix your issue. Let me know =)

I saw in some of the most recent updates that hibernate mode was disabled due to being un-stable. I'd assume it causes issues such as yours. Fully updating and verifying hibernate mode is turned off will most likely fix your issue. Let me know =)

• Richard Sims
    RE: Installing Ubuntu 12.04 with Windows installer
    It is great for beginners, however the problem with it is if windows crashes so do ubuntu, instead with a real dual boot system they are completely seperate. So dual boot is still the best way to go, for stability if nothing else.

It is great for beginners, however the problem with it is if windows crashes so do ubuntu, instead with a real dual boot system they are completely seperate.

So dual boot is still the best way to go, for stability if nothing else.

• Richard Sims
    RE: Trying to decide. Need more information.
    Your best bet is a dual boot system with both Linux and Windows for games. Steam is currently running closed beta for Linux, however it's not done and will probably be a while. Right now a dual boot system with both full blown linux and windows is the best bet for gamers.
    Link to this post 11 Dec 12

Your best bet is a dual boot system with both Linux and Windows for games. Steam is currently running closed beta for Linux, however it's not done and will probably be a while. Right now a dual boot system with both full blown linux and windows is the best bet for gamers.

• Richard Sims
    North side bus cooling? (North bridge cooling)
    Hey guys, I recently upgraded my motherboard to the MSI 760GM-E51 FX which comes stock with two switches to over-clock my motherboard's front side bus. Also I have the AMD Zembezi "Bulldozer" 8 core desktop CPU 8120 3.1 GHZ unlocked. I found a good cpu liquid radiator cooling system, however it's difficult to find a good north side bus cooling system like I need. If anyone has some suggestions, please let me know. Any help or advice is appreciated! Side note: I know OC is not recommended however I'm going for it if I can keep my temperatures at safe level.
    Link to this post 02 Aug 12

Hey guys, I recently upgraded my motherboard to the MSI 760GM-E51 FX which comes stock with two switches to over-clock my motherboard's front side bus. Also I have the AMD Zembezi "Bulldozer" 8 core desktop CPU 8120 3.1 GHZ unlocked.

I found a good cpu liquid radiator cooling system, however it's difficult to find a good north side bus cooling system like I need.

If anyone has some suggestions, please let me know. Any help or advice is appreciated!

Side note: I know OC is not recommended however I'm going for it if I can keep my temperatures at safe level.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board