• Last Logged In: 16 Dec 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • sa0836561663
    RE: Ubuntu, 11.04 (fully updated)
    Hi, Apologies for the delay in replying. The site outage precluded any reply. Yes, I've checked the RAM and it's (allegedly) fine. The problem is fairly sporadic but always seems to happen around 13:00 which, in South Africa, usually means it's pretty hot. However, I've checked the CPU and board temperature and, if the values reported are correct, they're well within the operating limits. I doubt if it's running out of memory, the unit has 16GB on board on I don't think its ever gone higher than 10GB in use even when I'm running 2 or 3 VMs. It may be hardware but, if so, it's a weird problem. The only thing I can think of is that the board or one of the RAM chips has a microscopic crack which opens up when the system warms up. What is VERY odd is that, when it hangs, the mouse just stops moving and whatever was on the screen just prior to the crash remains there. I even tried to ssh into the unit after it had crashed to see if there was still any life behind the frozen display. Nothin'! I think I'll just unplug everything inside and out and stick it back in again. Might just be a loose SATA cable or an intermittent short somewhere. The reason I reported it is because I've NEVER seen a Linux installation do anything like this. Although I've had crashes in the past they've usually been picked up by the kernel and reported. Never had a straight 'freeze' like this. But thanks anyway.
    Link to this post 10 Oct 11

Hi,
    Apologies for the delay in replying. The site outage precluded any reply.

Yes, I've checked the RAM and it's (allegedly) fine. The problem is fairly sporadic but always seems to happen around 13:00 which, in South Africa, usually means it's pretty hot. However, I've checked the CPU and board temperature and, if the values reported are correct, they're well within the operating limits.

I doubt if it's running out of memory, the unit has 16GB on board on I don't think its ever gone higher than 10GB in use even when I'm running 2 or 3 VMs.

It may be hardware but, if so, it's a weird problem. The only thing I can think of is that the board or one of the RAM chips has a microscopic crack which opens up when the system warms up. What is VERY odd is that, when it hangs, the mouse just stops moving and whatever was on the screen just prior to the crash remains there. I even tried to ssh into the unit after it had crashed to see if there was still any life behind the frozen display. Nothin'!

I think I'll just unplug everything inside and out and stick it back in again. Might just be a loose SATA cable or an intermittent short somewhere.

The reason I reported it is because I've NEVER seen a Linux installation do anything like this. Although I've had crashes in the past they've usually been picked up by the kernel and reported. Never had a straight 'freeze' like this.

But thanks anyway.

• sa0836561663
    Ubuntu, 11.04 (fully updated)
    My main PC seem to have caught galloping bit-rot. It's been working perfectly for two months but, in the last week or so it's started spontaneously hanging. I was just filing some emails in gmail (via Chrome browser - v13.0.782.218) and the whole system just hung; not even mouse movement. I haven't added any hardware recently. the hardware is only a couple of months old and I'm not running anything particularly weird except (maybe) VirtualBox (non OSE version). There's nothing I can see in the logs (kern.log and syslog - excerpts below) and I can't find anything on the Ubuntu bug list which might affect me. Any ideas about where I can look trace-wise and/or if some of the latest updates have caused any grief? :( ===================== [b]kern.log[/b] (excerpt) Aug 30 13:17:45 Silver-Streak2 kernel: [ 217.244605] wlan0: no IPv6 routers present Aug 30 13:23:26 Silver-Streak2 kernel: [ 547.393520] exe (2370): /proc/2370/oom_adj is deprecated, please use /proc/2370/oom_score_adj instead. Aug 30 21:16:37 Silver-Streak2 kernel: [28857.348446] warning: `VirtualBox' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy support in use) [b]/* crashed here */[/b] (at 10:24) Aug 31 10:25:58 Silver-Streak2 kernel: imklog 4.6.4, log source = /proc/kmsg started. Aug 31 10:25:58 Silver-Streak2 kernel: [ 0.000000] Initializing cgroup subsys cpuset Aug 31 10:25:58 Silver-Streak2 kernel: [ 0.000000] Initializing cgroup subsys cpu ===================== ===================== [b]syslog[/b] (excerpt) Aug 31 09:17:01 Silver-Streak2 CRON[5384]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly) Aug 31 10:17:01 Silver-Streak2 CRON[5538]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly) [b]/* crashed here */[/b] (at 10:24) Aug 31 10:25:58 Silver-Streak2 kernel: imklog 4.6.4, log source = /proc/kmsg started. Aug 31 10:25:58 Silver-Streak2 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="4.6.4" x-pid="426" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] (re)start Aug 31 10:25:58 Silver-Streak2 rsyslogd: rsyslogd's groupid changed to 103 Aug 31 10:25:58 Silver-Streak2 rsyslogd: rsyslogd's userid changed to 101 =====================
    Link to this post 31 Aug 11

My main PC seem to have caught galloping bit-rot.
    It's been working perfectly for two months but, in the last week or so it's started spontaneously hanging. I was just filing some emails in gmail (via Chrome browser - v13.0.782.218) and the whole system just hung; not even mouse movement. I haven't added any hardware recently. the hardware is only a couple of months old and I'm not running anything particularly weird except (maybe) VirtualBox (non OSE version).

There's nothing I can see in the logs (kern.log and syslog - excerpts below) and I can't find anything on the Ubuntu bug list which might affect me.

Any ideas about where I can look trace-wise and/or if some of the latest updates have caused any grief? :(

=====================
    kern.log (excerpt)
    Aug 30 13:17:45 Silver-Streak2 kernel: [ 217.244605] wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
    Aug 30 13:23:26 Silver-Streak2 kernel: [ 547.393520] exe (2370): /proc/2370/oom_adj is deprecated, please use /proc/2370/oom_score_adj instead.
    Aug 30 21:16:37 Silver-Streak2 kernel: [28857.348446] warning: `VirtualBox' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy support in use)

/* crashed here */ (at 10:24)

Aug 31 10:25:58 Silver-Streak2 kernel: imklog 4.6.4, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
    Aug 31 10:25:58 Silver-Streak2 kernel: [ 0.000000] Initializing cgroup subsys cpuset
    Aug 31 10:25:58 Silver-Streak2 kernel: [ 0.000000] Initializing cgroup subsys cpu
    =====================

=====================
    syslog (excerpt)
    Aug 31 09:17:01 Silver-Streak2 CRON[5384]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    Aug 31 10:17:01 Silver-Streak2 CRON[5538]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

/* crashed here */ (at 10:24)

Aug 31 10:25:58 Silver-Streak2 kernel: imklog 4.6.4, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
    Aug 31 10:25:58 Silver-Streak2 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="4.6.4" x-pid="426" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] (re)start
    Aug 31 10:25:58 Silver-Streak2 rsyslogd: rsyslogd's groupid changed to 103
    Aug 31 10:25:58 Silver-Streak2 rsyslogd: rsyslogd's userid changed to 101
    =====================

• sa0836561663
    Evolution Mail
    Why is it that mail clients seem to be the only blemish on the otherwise perfect skin of the Linux desktop? I've tried Thunderbird; not a wonderful experience. Was recommended to Evolution which I've now used for several years despite its tendency to crash spontaneously, corrupt your emails or refuse to delete anything from trash. I've finally had enough. 1) Does anyone know a way to extract mail data directly from the Evolution databases to allow me to, at least, [b]LOOK[/b] at my old emails (despite Evolution generating segmentation violations and crashing on load)? 2) Is there a recovery tool for the email database I could use to try to reconstruct the evolution mail data? 3) Is there a stable email client (no bells and whistles) available which doesn't fall apart like a hooker's dressing gown? Or do I have to bite the bullet and write one (which would [b][i]really[/i][/b] p**s me off. :angry:) [img size=633]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/evolutionsegmentfault.png[/img]
    Link to this post 08 Aug 11

Why is it that mail clients seem to be the only blemish on the otherwise perfect skin of the Linux desktop?

I've tried Thunderbird; not a wonderful experience. Was recommended to Evolution which I've now used for several years despite its tendency to crash spontaneously, corrupt your emails or refuse to delete anything from trash.

I've finally had enough.

1) Does anyone know a way to extract mail data directly from the Evolution databases to allow me to, at least, LOOK at my old emails (despite Evolution generating segmentation violations and crashing on load)?
    2) Is there a recovery tool for the email database I could use to try to reconstruct the evolution mail data?
    3) Is there a stable email client (no bells and whistles) available which doesn't fall apart like a hooker's dressing gown?

Or do I have to bite the bullet and write one (which would really p**s me off. :angry:)

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board