• Last Logged In: 24 Oct 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Code Red
    RE: stable Linux. Truth or Myth?
    Thank you for all the responses to my question. While trying to prep my desktop machine for a new install, I've managed to break it to the point where it doesn't boot at all regardless of the OS. At this point, I probably qualify for a job with my company's IT department whose motto seems to be: If it ain't broken, fix it until it is. Oh well, I guess I have a lot more work to do. In the meantime, I dusted off an old laptop--with a corner broken off of it--that seems to run just fine on Mint 9.
    Link to this post 20 Oct 11

Thank you for all the responses to my question. While trying to prep my desktop machine for a new install, I've managed to break it to the point where it doesn't boot at all regardless of the OS. At this point, I probably qualify for a job with my company's IT department whose motto seems to be: If it ain't broken, fix it until it is.

Oh well, I guess I have a lot more work to do. In the meantime, I dusted off an old laptop--with a corner broken off of it--that seems to run just fine on Mint 9.

• Code Red
    stable Linux. Truth or Myth?
    I want to know if there is any such thing as a stable desktop Linux distro, or is it just a myth? Since I started playing with Linux I've probably tried more than a dozen different flavors on about a dozen different platforms. I can't be real specific because each one had its own problems; but for example, I've just re-installed Linux Mint 11. Within an hour, Firefox crashed without warning or explanation and shortly after that, The OS itself crashed hard and I had to restart the computer. These are typical problems I've had with Linux since I started playing with it more than 10 years ago. I would really like to use Linux to replace my Mac, but so far I haven't found one that I can count on. Is there a reliable distro? Or is there a way to make a buggy distro more reliable? So far I've tried most of the popular ones: Red Hat, Fedora, openSUSE, Ubuntu, Mint, Linspire, and a few others that I can't recall at the moment. Of all of them, Mint 6 was my favorite, but each successive version seems to get more buggy.
    Link to this post 11 Oct 11

I want to know if there is any such thing as a stable desktop Linux distro, or is it just a myth? Since I started playing with Linux I've probably tried more than a dozen different flavors on about a dozen different platforms. I can't be real specific because each one had its own problems; but for example, I've just re-installed Linux Mint 11. Within an hour, Firefox crashed without warning or explanation and shortly after that, The OS itself crashed hard and I had to restart the computer. These are typical problems I've had with Linux since I started playing with it more than 10 years ago. I would really like to use Linux to replace my Mac, but so far I haven't found one that I can count on. Is there a reliable distro? Or is there a way to make a buggy distro more reliable? So far I've tried most of the popular ones: Red Hat, Fedora, openSUSE, Ubuntu, Mint, Linspire, and a few others that I can't recall at the moment. Of all of them, Mint 6 was my favorite, but each successive version seems to get more buggy.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board