• Last Logged In: 02 Dec 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • impulse
    File System linux
    Hi, i've task to make linux system file simulation, i want to ask 2 question: 1. It's said that in linux have inode size and another file system attribute(superblock size, free space mgmt,etc) depend on partition size, i want to ask that in linux, given the size of linux os partition, say 90Gb, how's calculation of inode table size, block in inode and inode level(level 1 or 2 or 3) is implemented?? and i want a reasonable answer why that calculation is implemented according to time and space performance. 2. Same as question 1, but this is about size of block in system file, it's said that 4kb block size is the best of all block size(512,etc). i don't get it why?? anyone can help me?? Thanks....
    Link to this post 25 Nov 11

Hi, i've task to make linux system file simulation, i want to ask 2 question:

1. It's said that in linux have inode size and another file system attribute(superblock size, free space mgmt,etc) depend on partition size, i want to ask that in linux,
    given the size of linux os partition, say 90Gb,
    how's calculation of inode table size, block in inode and inode level(level 1 or 2 or 3) is implemented??
    and i want a reasonable answer why that calculation is implemented according to time and space performance.

2. Same as question 1, but this is about size of block in system file, it's said that 4kb block size is the best of all block size(512,etc). i don't get it why?? anyone can help me??

Thanks....

• impulse
    RE: PID(process ID)
    Ouu, i see know, thanks, that's really a help,
    Link to this post 17 Nov 11

Ouu, i see know, thanks, that's really a help,

• impulse
    RE: PID(process ID)
    Thanks, i think i get important information here, is in kernel the systemcall use "sysctl -w kernel.pid_max=4194303" itself or other similar syscall so linux automatically expand the pid on demand? and not a long time ago, i find : *PIDs are converted to matching process descriptors using a hash function. *A pidhash table maps PID to descriptor. *Collisions are resolved by chaining. Is "collision" above means process with same pid?? if not, what does it mean? Sorry, if i ask much, but i really want to know more, btw, thanks for your information before
    Link to this post 17 Nov 11

Thanks, i think i get important information here,
    is in kernel the systemcall use "sysctl -w kernel.pid_max=4194303" itself or other similar syscall so linux automatically expand the pid on demand?

and not a long time ago, i find :
    *PIDs are converted to matching process descriptors using a hash function.
    *A pidhash table maps PID to descriptor.
    *Collisions are resolved by chaining.

Is "collision" above means process with same pid??
    if not, what does it mean?

Sorry, if i ask much, but i really want to know more,
    btw, thanks for your information before

• impulse
    PID(process ID)
    Hi, i'am a newbie in linux, i want to ask something about process id, linux is multiprogramming system, so independent user process may be running at the same time and with different user, it's said that the value of PID(process id) is from 1 to 32768, i want to ask how if there is more than 32768 process in a computer, what the new value PID of new process, how linux kernel implement this?? thanks very much....
    Link to this post 09 Nov 11

Hi, i'am a newbie in linux,
    i want to ask something about process id,
    linux is multiprogramming system, so independent user process may be running at the same time and with different user,
    it's said that the value of PID(process id) is from 1 to 32768, i want to ask how if there is more than 32768 process in a computer, what the new value PID of new process, how linux kernel implement this??

thanks very much....

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board