• Last Logged In: 21 Dec 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • acornpetco
    RE: Flash Player upgrade required
    Hello again GoinEasy9. My apologies for not posting to thank you much sooner. Your advice was on the money! Thank you for enlightening me to FedoraPlus becoming AutoPlus. I believe my Fedora is also 32 bit. To tell you the truth, that repo discussion lost me but what did work for me was going to my current FedoraPlus and removing flash, then downloading the new AutoPlus and reinstalling flash as per your advice. Apparently I did have an old version of flash running as the problem is now resolved. I hadn't realized all the functionality of opening FedoraPlus/AutoPlus so I appreciate the education. I also had AutoPlus install Sun/Oracle Java 6 so I believe I now have the latest Sun/Oracle Java 6 which is required to run the OnlyWire submitter application. I don't know if you are familiar with OnlyWire or not but somehow I cannot get their submitter to install on my Fedora and their support department are not being any help to me at all. This is of course a different but related issue in that it involves trying to get something working in a Linux environment. Would you care to render an opinion? The instructions are at the following page: http://support.onlywire.com/index.php?pid=knowledgebase&cmd=viewentclient&id=75 Linux 1. Using your browser of choice click on Click Here next to OnlyWire Submitter on the Tools page. Click Here To Access The Downloads Page 2. Click Download Now and the OnlyWire Submitter .zip file will download to your computer. 3. Move the OnlyWire .zip file to your Home directory. 4. Unzip the OnlyWire .zip file. This will create a folder called OnlyWireLinux in your Home directory. 5. Create a text file in the OnlyWireLinux folder called config.txt. This file should contain one line of text: users=Your OnlyWire Username Goes Here For example, if your username is joe123 the one line of text would read: users=joe123 6. Open a Terminal and navigate to the OnlyWireLinux folder and run the following command: java -jar OnlyWire.jar The latest Sun/Oracle Java 6 is required to run the OnlyWire submitter application. You must keep the Terminal window open for the Submitter application to process your submissions. If you close the Terminal window you close the Submitter application. The OnlyWire submitter application processes submissions every 10 minutes automatically. I right clicked on OnlyWireLinux.zip in my Downloads folder to 'Extract Here'. I can see the OnlyWireLinux folder. I created a text file called config.txt with the 'users=Your OnlyWire Username Goes Here' line of text in it with my OnlyWire username in place of 'Your OnlyWire Username Goes Here' and moved it into the OnlyWireLinux folder. I then opened a terminal and, as you can see, I've logged in as su and this is what happened: [marneo@MN ~]$ su Password: [root@MN marneo]# cd Downloads [root@MN Downloads]# cd OnlyWireLinux [root@MN OnlyWireLinux]# java -jar OnlyWire.jar Then absolutely nothing more. Can you spot what might be wrong? Any guidance you can offer would again be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Link to this post 20 Dec 11

Hello again GoinEasy9. My apologies for not posting to thank you much sooner. Your advice was on the money!

Thank you for enlightening me to FedoraPlus becoming AutoPlus. I believe my Fedora is also 32 bit. To tell you the truth, that repo discussion lost me but what did work for me was going to my current FedoraPlus and removing flash, then downloading the new AutoPlus and reinstalling flash as per your advice. Apparently I did have an old version of flash running as the problem is now resolved. I hadn't realized all the functionality of opening FedoraPlus/AutoPlus so I appreciate the education.

I also had AutoPlus install Sun/Oracle Java 6 so I believe I now have the latest Sun/Oracle Java 6 which is required to run the OnlyWire submitter application. I don't know if you are familiar with OnlyWire or not but somehow I cannot get their submitter to install on my Fedora and their support department are not being any help to me at all. This is of course a different but related issue in that it involves trying to get something working in a Linux environment. Would you care to render an opinion?

The instructions are at the following page:
    http://support.onlywire.com/index.php?pid=knowledgebase&cmd=viewentclient&id=75

Linux

1. Using your browser of choice click on Click Here next to OnlyWire Submitter on the Tools page.

Click Here To Access The Downloads Page

2. Click Download Now and the OnlyWire Submitter .zip file will download to your computer.

3. Move the OnlyWire .zip file to your Home directory.

4. Unzip the OnlyWire .zip file. This will create a folder called OnlyWireLinux in your Home directory.

5. Create a text file in the OnlyWireLinux folder called config.txt. This file should contain one line of text:

users=Your OnlyWire Username Goes Here

For example, if your username is joe123 the one line of text would read:

users=joe123

6. Open a Terminal and navigate to the OnlyWireLinux folder and run the following command:

java -jar OnlyWire.jar

The latest Sun/Oracle Java 6 is required to run the OnlyWire submitter application.

You must keep the Terminal window open for the Submitter application to process your submissions. If you close the Terminal window you close the Submitter application. The OnlyWire submitter application processes submissions every 10 minutes automatically.

I right clicked on OnlyWireLinux.zip in my Downloads folder to 'Extract Here'. I can see the OnlyWireLinux folder. I created a text file called config.txt with the 'users=Your OnlyWire Username Goes Here' line of text in it with my OnlyWire username in place of 'Your OnlyWire Username Goes Here' and moved it into the OnlyWireLinux folder. I then opened a terminal and, as you can see, I've logged in as su and this is what happened:

[marneo@MN ~]$ su
    Password:
    [root@MN marneo]# cd Downloads
    [root@MN Downloads]# cd OnlyWireLinux
    [root@MN OnlyWireLinux]# java -jar OnlyWire.jar

Then absolutely nothing more. Can you spot what might be wrong? Any guidance you can offer would again be much appreciated.

Thank you.

• acornpetco
    Flash Player upgrade required
    Totally unexpectedly, out of nowhere I cannot watch a video on YouTube. I was able to do so yesterday but today I was prompted that I need to install flash player. When I first installed Fedora 14, I ran FedoraPlus so that I was able to listen to music and watch video. I have no idea how this happened but all of a sudden, I'm being prompted: 'Flash Player upgrade required'. I've downloaded the folder and now have no idea what to do next: install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz Archive Manager just opens a folder with a an array of files. Having become accustomed to Windows where things are more automatic, I'm afraid I'm lost when things like this happen in Fedora so I would really appreciate if someone could walk me through how to get the update installed and hopefully it would be instructive for similar situations in the future. Thanks to anyone who is willing to help.
    Link to this post 23 Nov 11

Totally unexpectedly, out of nowhere I cannot watch a video on YouTube. I was able to do so yesterday but today I was prompted that I need to install flash player. When I first installed Fedora 14, I ran FedoraPlus so that I was able to listen to music and watch video. I have no idea how this happened but all of a sudden, I'm being prompted: 'Flash Player upgrade required'. I've downloaded the folder and now have no idea what to do next:
    install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz

Archive Manager just opens a folder with a an array of files.

Having become accustomed to Windows where things are more automatic, I'm afraid I'm lost when things like this happen in Fedora so I would really appreciate if someone could walk me through how to get the update installed and hopefully it would be instructive for similar situations in the future.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help.

• acornpetco
    RE: Can someone please advise how to install OnlyWire in Fedora?
    Sorry. I just realized you are an OnlyWire developer rather than a Linux develper. I'll repost this elsewhere.

Sorry. I just realized you are an OnlyWire developer rather than a Linux develper. I'll repost this elsewhere.

• acornpetco
    RE: Can someone please advise how to install OnlyWire in Fedora?
    Actually what I need help with right now is a totally unexpected development which is that out of nowhere I cannot watch a video on YouTube. I was able to do so yesterday but today I was prompted that I need to install flash player. I have no idea how this happened but I've downloaded the folder and now have no idea what to do next: install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz I imagine the process is similar but, having been accustomed to Windows where things are more automatic, I'm afraid I'm lost when things like this happen in Fedora so I would really appreciate if you could walk me through this and hopefully it would be instructive for similar situations in the future. Thank you.

Actually what I need help with right now is a totally unexpected development which is that out of nowhere I cannot watch a video on YouTube. I was able to do so yesterday but today I was prompted that I need to install flash player. I have no idea how this happened but I've downloaded the folder and now have no idea what to do next:
    install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz

I imagine the process is similar but, having been accustomed to Windows where things are more automatic, I'm afraid I'm lost when things like this happen in Fedora so I would really appreciate if you could walk me through this and hopefully it would be instructive for similar situations in the future.

Thank you.

• acornpetco
    Can someone please advise how to install OnlyWire in Fedora?
    The instructions are at the following page: http://support.onlywire.com/index.php?pid=knowledgebase&cmd=viewentclient&id=75 Linux 1. Using your browser of choice click on Click Here next to OnlyWire Submitter on the Tools page. Click Here To Access The Downloads Page 2. Click Download Now and the OnlyWire Submitter .zip file will download to your computer. 3. Move the OnlyWire .zip file to your Home directory. 4. Unzip the OnlyWire .zip file. This will create a folder called OnlyWireLinux in your Home directory. 5. Create a text file in the OnlyWireLinux folder called config.txt. This file should contain one line of text: users=Your OnlyWire Username Goes Here For example, if your username is joe123 the one line of text would read: users=joe123 6. Open a Terminal and navigate to the OnlyWireLinux folder and run the following command: java -jar OnlyWire.jar The latest Sun/Oracle Java 6 is required to run the OnlyWire submitter application. You must keep the Terminal window open for the Submitter application to process your submissions. If you close the Terminal window you close the Submitter application. The OnlyWire submitter application processes submissions every 10 minutes automatically. I am using Fedora 14 with Mozilla Firefox and I can't get OnlyWire installed. I have downloaded the latest Sun/Oracle Java 6. I have also downloaded the OnlyWire Submitter.zip file and moved it to my home directory. Clicking on it does unzip it and I created a text file in the OnlyWireLinux folder called config.txt with the 'users=Your OnlyWire Username Goes Here' line of text in it and moved it into the unzipped folder but the unzipped folder does not appear anywhere in the home folder so I have no idea how to navigate to the OnlyWireLinux folder in an open terminal. I am logged in as su. I would have thought the path would be /xxxxxx/home/OnlyWireLinux but I get: [root@XX xxxxxx]# /xxxxxx/home/OnlyWireLinux bash: /marneo/home/OnlyWireLinux: No such file or directory Likewise with: [root@XX xxxxxx]# /home/xxxxxx/OnlyWireLinux bash: /home/xxxxxx/OnlyWireLinux: No such file or directory What would the proper file path be? Thank you.
    Link to this post 15 Nov 11

The instructions are at the following page:
    http://support.onlywire.com/index.php?pid=knowledgebase&cmd=viewentclient&id=75

Linux

1. Using your browser of choice click on Click Here next to OnlyWire Submitter on the Tools page.

Click Here To Access The Downloads Page

2. Click Download Now and the OnlyWire Submitter .zip file will download to your computer.

3. Move the OnlyWire .zip file to your Home directory.

4. Unzip the OnlyWire .zip file. This will create a folder called OnlyWireLinux in your Home directory.

5. Create a text file in the OnlyWireLinux folder called config.txt. This file should contain one line of text:

users=Your OnlyWire Username Goes Here

For example, if your username is joe123 the one line of text would read:

users=joe123

6. Open a Terminal and navigate to the OnlyWireLinux folder and run the following command:

java -jar OnlyWire.jar

The latest Sun/Oracle Java 6 is required to run the OnlyWire submitter application.

You must keep the Terminal window open for the Submitter application to process your submissions. If you close the Terminal window you close the Submitter application. The OnlyWire submitter application processes submissions every 10 minutes automatically.

I am using Fedora 14 with Mozilla Firefox and I can't get OnlyWire installed.

I have downloaded the latest Sun/Oracle Java 6. I have also downloaded the OnlyWire Submitter.zip file and moved it to my home directory. Clicking on it does unzip it and I created a text file in the OnlyWireLinux folder called config.txt with the 'users=Your OnlyWire Username Goes Here' line of text in it and moved it into the unzipped folder but the unzipped folder does not appear anywhere in the home folder so I have no idea how to navigate to the OnlyWireLinux folder in an open terminal. I am logged in as su. I would have thought the path would be /xxxxxx/home/OnlyWireLinux but I get:

[root@XX xxxxxx]# /xxxxxx/home/OnlyWireLinux
    bash: /marneo/home/OnlyWireLinux: No such file or directory

Likewise with:
    [root@XX xxxxxx]# /home/xxxxxx/OnlyWireLinux
    bash: /home/xxxxxx/OnlyWireLinux: No such file or directory

What would the proper file path be?

Thank you.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board